Have I got lucky or am I missing something?

U

underpar

Have I got lucky or am I missing something?

Hi all,
This is my first post- Great forum, lots of information and excellent advice.

With a new home under construction I have earmarked a 15 by 12 foot room for a HC.
I intend to have cables etc., installed at the appropriate time also this room is southfacing
so I expect to have some light control issues. In anticipation I decided to buy a projector and screen
last Dec. I demo’d various PJ’s and shortlisted a Toshiba MT100 and Sanyo Z2. My
preference was to go DLP. At this point rainbows were not something I expected to see
from a projected image. I intended to stay with entry level, but read some excellent reviews
on Sim2 D20 and Infocus 5700, neither of these pj’s could be demo’d at the time by my
stockists. I was offered a demo of the Toshiba MT500 using a HK player via s-video.
I immediately saw the difference in pq. and was greatly impressed by the image[no rb’s ]
despite less than ideal viewing conditions. Having checked a review on Projectorcentral.com
I went for the MT 500 with a saving of almost 2.5K Euro against the D20(I am aware of the
Differance in typical lamplife)

I teamed it with my Sony 725 using s-video onto a 7ft Draper screen in appropiate viewing conditions
(near darkness). I was astounded by the image ( with factory defaults). I then invested in good quality
component leads resulting in further improvements (brightness, clarity, colour.) after minor tweaking.

My next step was to invest in a progressive scan player (Marantz 4300). I must admit given my
Exprience thus far I was a little disseappointed as there was no discernable improvement in P.Q.
I thought I had reached the end of my HC voage of discovery! I must have played LOTR( The Fellowship and Towers ) referance chapters most evenings for a fortnight, looking for a reason
To justify my expence on the Marantz. Is this normal HC novice behavior or do I need counselling? LOL!

I am now at the stage where I want to exploit the DVI Input on the MT 500 and have decided on
The Yamakawa 365 using a Lindy cable having considered the Forums experience with inexpensive
DVI capable players.

My questions for you HC Gurus are:

I don’t wish to stockpile DVD players but am I correct in saying that I should expect an improvement
In PQ using Yamakawa DVI over Marantz prog scan. To my knowledge the MT500 can output 720p
and 1080i.

Is the MT500 a great buy in the image for cash stakes?or has convert fire clouded my judgement.
Are there any MT500 users out there and if so what player are they using?

Should I budget for a D20H and HDMI player and change at the house move time or use the MT500
With Yamakama DVI and wait for the Sim2 3-chips to become more affordable ( if ever) to upgrade?
Will this require a new throw distance and should I make provision at install for extra cable length etc.?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, any comments, suggestions greatfully received,

Sid.

theritz

Hi Sid,

Welcome to the forums................;)

I can't comment on the choice of dvd player for your projector, buit you seem to have made a good choice in the projector in any case. If you're looking to see whether a sigal by DVI will give you extra benefits, I'd suggest you try the pc route - I run one with an AE100 and have used it on Kramer's HS10 and another member's (Vexorg) HT1000 - there isn't a better solution for ultimate picture quality imo. I appreciate that the convenience factor is an issue for some, but it can be very straightforward when set up.

I'm in Dublin if you want to PM for a chat.

Sean G.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
The best way of seeing the difference in PQ that progressive scan MAY make to your setup, is to look closely at the scrolling end titles of a movie. Watch for shimmering especially of horizontal strokes in the letters - with PS on, and with it off. If you see a difference then your justification is right there. Bear in mind that the same effect will occur elsewhere in films, but is at its most obvious/visible on titles.

lungan71

Standard Member
The Toshiba MT500 has an excellent onboard deinterlacer (Silicon Image) so that you're not seeing a big difference isn't all that surprising.

U

underpar

Thanks for replies,
Sean G.--- apparently the mt500 has a native res. of 1024x768 with 192 lines deactivated. If you feed it a computer xga signal it will compress it to 576 lines. Will this negate the pc option.?

theritz

Sid,

You should be able to feed it 1024x576..................... well worth a try.

Sean.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED First Thoughts + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 Review, TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom