have I got a MC or an MM cartridge?

number 8

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, I ve got two turntables running through a two channel mixer, into a sound shaper graphic equaliser, into a NAD pre amp, into a Cambridge power amp and out of some studio monitor speakers. The thing is one of my turntables sounds horrible. It could be one of many things. One thing I've thought of is that I've got the pre-amp set up for MM cartridges and maybee it's not a Moving Magnet cartridge.
Also the sounds keeps cutting out alltogether. I think that this might be a case of taking the pre-amp into the menders thought cos if I twist the jacks or press on them it cuts back in again....anyway, any thoughts on the MC/MM connundrum?
Cheers N-8

Well MC requires more amplification than MM.
they also tend to cost more.

i would look at other things causing the problems. Loose wire etc.

Also identifying the carts. would help.

...there is a problem with the RCA ports but it's easy to identify when that is causing a problem. The thing that is strange is one turntable sounds OK and the other one is ...well duff. I have an Ortofon OM pro s on the one that sounds alright and the rubbish sounding on has a KAM kc-1. The KAM cartridge is on the inferiour turntable, a Numark TT and I have the Ortofon on a, slightly better, Stanton T-60. I did think that this might make a difference, does it?...

You can remove the stylus on a moving magnet cartridge, but moving coil cartridges have their stylus fixed to the cartridge and thus not removeable!

Thanks cunny678, In that case it looks to me like I've got one MC cartridge and one MM cartridge.....which is a bit of a bummer. I guess I should get both the same cartridge to eliminate the posibility of the MC cart causing the bad sound quality.
Thanks for explaining that to me cunny.

well i would say that both of those are MM carts.

the KAM at less that £10
and the Ortofon for £20 for car and stylus.

Also i am not aware of any MC DJ carts.

oh...? well the Ortofon is a DJ cart but the stylus is defonatly not removable whereas the KAM is. I guess that rule is a more of a general guide in that case.
So all DJ carts are Moving Magnet?

Didnt realise you had a DJ cartridge - dont know anyhting about those. These may be different due to the rough time they get, but of the normal hi fi quality cartridges I have never seen a moving coil with a removable stylus!!

I am sure someone will put me right though if there are some out there:D

Didnt realise you had a DJ cartridge - dont know anyhting about those. These may be different due to the rough time they get, but of the normal hi fi quality cartridges I have never seen a moving coil with a removable stylus!!

I am sure someone will put me right though if there are some out there:D

I agree with you on that. eg my Rondo red is a £300 MC cartridge and the stylus is not replaceable.

and i am sure there are some cheap MM that you also just replace the lot in one.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom