Have I got a faulty Samsung PS-42Q7HD?

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by midiman, Dec 23, 2006.

1. midiman

midiman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Took delivery of a nice new Samsung PS-42Q7HD from JL on Thursday. Checked this TV against severel others in different stores and was very impressed with it from both HD and SD feeds. Haveing had it for a couple of days I have to say I am very concerned as the PQ isnt anywhere near as good as I was expecting. There are severel issues with it:-

Picture flickering - this is particularly noticable when there is a bright background or when looking at the crowd in a football game

Picture changing from lighter to darker - noticable in a static scene, seems to happen every few seconds

Fast moving scenes - Does not keep up well with fast moving scenes i.e lots of artifacts occuring. Particularly noticable when watching football (though not exclusive to). Channel logo seems to jump & distort in fast moving scenes.

Ghosting - On menu screens (Sky+) see lines extending horizontly to screen edge i.e follows the line menu item rectangular box (top & bottom). Have also noticed this on 'Deal or no Deal' where they have the boxes with monetry value either side of the screen - see the lines going across the contestants face. Also in fast moving scene with a brigh background see a sligh ghost of the image that is moving.

Screen retention - imaging of previous image (sky+ menu) takes ages to fade.

Occasional crackling of sound.

Most of the above have been observed using sky though most have have been observed on both internal freeview and via DVD. Sky is conncted via scart (fully wired good quality cables) and the DVD is connected via Component so dose not appear to be source related. I have tried to tone down some of the settings but hasnt made any real difference.

Anybody else had these problems?

2. JohnAA

JohnAA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got one and it's got none of these problems.

Set it to 'film' settings (if you haven't got a DVE disk) and disable all the 'enhancing' options, including powersaving.

If it still doesn't behave itself, send it back while it's early.

3. midiman

midiman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply. Tried what you suggested but other then make the picture less vibrant, dosent make any difference.

Shrek was on one of the movie channels earlier and even that looked poor. Lacking in definition and any real movement was blurry (thogh not as bad as the football. Was using a Hyundai 32" LCD before and has a much better picture then the Samsung. I was of the impression that Plasmas were beter then LCD's especialy when it comes to things like sport/football.

Anybody else got one of these TV's. What problems (if any) have you seen?

4. midiman

midiman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have noticed that that there dosent appear to be any real coulor depth either. Sort of like it is only cable of displaying a limited amount of colours i.e 256 or something. Any body seen or heard of this on ANY brand of plasma?

5. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Some plasmas certainly can't display as many shades as others. You get some banding on most digital displays, but it's clearly worse on some than others and it's worse using some sources than others (DVD is worse than HD-DVD on mine for example)

6. Crabman32

Crabman32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Hi Midiman. The problem you are experiencing with brightness fluctuations is due to the Dnie setting which can only be turned off via the service menu. I had exactly the same problem and once turned off the problem went. I now have a different problem concerning colour banding. Other than that the set is sweet. Give it a bash mate. :thumbsup:

7. Crabman32

Crabman32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
  8. midiman

midiman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: