Have I got a dead pixel...or something worse...?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Family Guy, Jul 12, 2003.

1. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do I have a dead pixel...? And can I expext more to follow...?
    New to the PJ game so please excuse me. I carried out a search and all I found was that dead pixels should show up on dark backgrounds...mine is different.

I have a Sony HS1, 14 months old, brought second hand from these forums. Had it 10 days now and can honestly say there were no dead pixels when I brought it.

However, watching A Beautiful Mind last night, a tiny pixel sized "green star" appeared 2 thirds of the way up the screen. Now, here's the difference - it can only be seen in dark areas. It's totally invisible on a bright scene...

I checked the lamp seating yesterday because I was having keystone issues and found tiny shards of the silver coating had come of of the lamp and were lieing in the lamp housing and there are black marks on the rest of the silver coating.

Could it be a faulty lamp? It's an official Sony lamp with no more than 8 hours on it. I replaced it last week. The previous lamp had over 1500 hours on it...

Could a sliver of this coating have been sucked into the pixel housing and damaged a pixel? Would Sony be responsible?

Any help please...

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Bri,

Take a bump, cause I'm not sure that I can be much other help..................... I have heard folk talk of pixels "dying", tho' not in great numbers, so whether you are likely to get more or not I couldn't guess.

I think it's unlikely to be down to the lamp issue you mention, the pixels are not a "surface" feature on the panels, and are so tiny that if something as relatively large an a shard of the coating from the lamp hit the panel, it would probably cause a lot more damage, I reckon. I'm just trying to make an educated guess here, mind you - hopefully Chris Frost or Gordon F will happen along to offer a more qualified view.

All the best,

Sean G.

3. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi,

My second Sony HS10 devleoped a dead green pixel and a dead red pixel right in front of my eyes.

I was watching Star Wars Ep1 when I saw a red pixel flash on and off a few times before it stayed on permanently. Then a green one appeared at the same time.

The odd thing was that a red blob/smudge, for want of a better description, appeared at the same time.

Again durring normal operation the two dead pixels were glaringly obvious but the red blob was not that visible.

However, if I held a peice of paper up close to the lense and showed a black image on the PJ you could clearly see the two dead pixels and this blob.

Anyway...I had to return mine for replacement.

Cheers, Lee

4. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's gone...:confused: Was watching Daredevil last night and the dead pixel has dissapeared. Weird I know but true. I'm now totally dead pixel free again - which is nice.

theritz, are you saying that pixels don't die? By the look of your post, you're saying that if there are dead pixels, then the pj will have them from new. I hope this is true.

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The general concensus seems to be that if you don't have dead pixels when you get the PJ, then they are unlikely to "develop" as time goes on. I'm not sure if it's technically impossible, tho' - I know that on the HS10, Sony has built in "redundancy" in the circuitry so that there is back up for each pixel if the circuit controlling it "dies" - Kramer can explain this a lot better than I can.

When I got my AE100 at first, there was 1 green pixel in the lower left hand corner which seemed a bit intermittant - it stuck on and off from time to time for a couple of days - been perfect ever since.

Glad you're happy it's sorted itself out.

Sean G.