Have I done the right thing?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by fatfingers73, Mar 22, 2006.

1. fatfingers73

fatfingers73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    I cancelled my 1mb supanet broadband (£23) and ordered 24mb be there broadband (£24). I thought £1 for an extra 23mb download and 1mb upload it had to worth the risk even though I was pretty happy with supanet.

Are be there users happy with the speed/service they receive from them?

Also once this is connected I would like to download some smallville, 24 and sopranos episodes. Are there any legal (pay) sites that you would recommend where I can max out my connection (not P2P).

Many Thanks.

2. Anotherlimey

Anotherlimey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +930
    I fail to see how getting an extra 23meg speed could be a bad thing for a quid :rolleyes:

3. dodger747

dodger747

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    Depends on packet loss, ping, choke etc...

I'd like to do a trace route first, as it seems very cheap for the speed of connection...

4. oddfeld

oddfeld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I doubt there are any legal ways to download TV shows, unless they happen to be offered on iTunes for downloading for your video iPod.

The various releases of these shows in DivX and what have you are all dodgy and nothing to do with the studios that produce them.

So, I couldn't condone you downloading 24 and the Sopranos.

[rest of post deleted by admin]

5. MonkeyKnuckle

MonkeyKnuckle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +718
    if thats illegal, i would delete that mate. before you get warned/banned as talking about piracy/illegal downloading is banned

6. oddfeld

oddfeld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    It's not illegal to download from usenet per se. What an individual chooses to download may breach copyright, but it's really up to the downloader to decide what is and isn't illegal, there is legal to download stuff on there too. ISPs and premium news providers get away with the spread of content by having common carrier status (like the post office etc - it's OK to sell postal services, you aren't to blame if your customers choose to mail illegal packages, they are).

7. Magus

Magus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +712
    I have BeUnlimited which is "upto" 24MB. The upto is a vital thing as it all depends on the distance from your exchange, the quality of copper wiring & the noise on your line. Be can give you a distance depending on your address & then give you an approximation on your download speed BUT this approximation will depend on the 2 latter factors.

I'm 3.2 km from the exchange but have poor quality copper cabling & only get 4.9Mbps download. At £60 p/h I can call a BT engineer to draw a better line from the pole to my socket but again the improvement won't be that vast.

Initially had real problems with Be...constant disconnections & it came down to the fact that my line was unstable (hence why now at 4.9Mbps, initially @ 6Mbps), the router is NOT compatible with Norton Internet Security, & also the Winsock settings on my pc had to be reset. It took a couple of months to get it sorted & their initial line of technical support are based in India & are not much help at all if you can first hear them over the crackling line & then get to understand their English as some of them have quite deep Indian accents. The phone call are charged at your national rate so its not as bad as it sounds...for basic stuff they can get you sorted out. Although I have at times been held on a queing system for over 30 mins to speak to someone...very frustrating. I only got things sorted by speaking to a well clued guy based in the UK (via mobile I should add so exepnsive tech support).

Everything is as it should be now (touch wood) & although they have a fair usage policy, I downloaded 275 GB last month & everything is the same & this month I am on 100GB and still sweet. I would recommend them now although if you had asked me a month ago I would have said stay well clear.

There is one problem with 360 & Be & that is NAT. When you open the ports on the router page it still brings up the NAT as Strict. I have figured a way around this BUT it does NOT work on EA servers, I play all my EA games on a Strict NAT but I have no problems joining games.

Hope this helps.

8. fatfingers73

fatfingers73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    That's very helpfull thanks, I'm not sure about the NAT settings though, I'll need to read up on that. I recently bought a belking wireless router/modem combi, can I carry on using this, or will I be better off using the free on BE supply and sticking the belkin on ebay?

Cheers, Rob.

9. Magus

Magus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +712
    Try the Belkin, the only thing is that Be Tech support will not offer any suppoert on any other router than their own. Saying that, when I had some real connection issues the next step would have been to buy a different brand router & the guy in the UK said he would offer me setup support. However I must stress that the router must be an ADSL2+ router & the only other one I know if is the Netgear that is ADSL2+ compatible. I may be wrong but if your Belkinn is an ADSL modem/router than it won't work.

If you need help with sorting the NAT out just PM me.

10. Steve-L

Steve-L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    That's not the point - the forum rules say:

"You may not direct people how to download pirated material."

I suggest you delete that post ASAP.

11. oddfeld

oddfeld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I think the strict NAT problems are down to the weird custom firmware Be are using on their modems (they use the Speedtouch 716, IIRC). A third party modem probably won't have the same configuration problems on Xbox live. However, any modem you happen to have kicking around probably doesn't support ADSL2 so you won't get Be's advertised 23MB etc.

12. Bilbob

Bilbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    This is getting off topic, and going dangerously close to being another one of 'those' threads, so I'll keep it quick...
    He ISN'T directing or instructing anyone on how to download illegal files. all he did was let someone know how to max their connection. If what he did was wrong in oyur eyes, then so is explaining to someone how to use the web, as that too, (this bit might be scary) on occasion ,also contains illegal files...

13. oddfeld

oddfeld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Well, I've edited the post for clarity, and I did point out that the things the OP suggested downloading would breach copyright unless a crappy low-res ipod version was grabbed from itunes (unless anyone knows of any other legal video download services?). If the mods feel that recommending a usenet provider contravenes the forum rules then they are welcome to delete the post.

14. marcstang

marcstang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    I was always under the impression that downloading ripped broadcast grade material (NOT DVD rips) was not an infrengement on copyright as in that case we would all be guilty with our VCRs.

15. Singh400

Singh400
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,370
    I like you was ready to make the jump to Be There, that was untill I read Don't Be There.

16. mark.carline

mark.carline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    I would be interested to know how close you get to 24Mb if you really do see these kind of speeds ?

24Mbits/sec = 3072Kbytes a sec = 3Mbytes a sec ??