Have I chosen the wrong route?

Neil Hawkes

Since I came onto these forums, there has never been a shortage of excellent advice from upgrading to better equipment, to getting the best out of existing equipment.

It's certainly opened my eyes to a wide range of different gear, that I didn't know existed before.

So, to get to the point.................I've been under the illusion for years that to have surround sound you needed an AV amp/receiver. Clearly this is not true.

I'm going to be replacing my receiver, (see sig), in the near future. I've never used the video processing, preferring the direct connections from DVD to plasma and the same with the sky box. Neither have I used the radio.

Therefore, with a budget of 1000 to 1500, should I continue down the AV route, or go for the pre/power combination.

I'm looking for quality sound on all fronts, movies (5.1), SACD (5.1) and CD's (stereo + sub). Nothing else required.

Your thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks and all the best,
Neil.

Neil Hawkes

No words of advice?

All the best,
Neil.:thumbsup:

Sonic67

Banned
I'm going to be replacing my receiver, (see sig), in the near future. I've never used the video processing, preferring the direct connections from DVD to plasma and the same with the sky box. Neither have I used the radio.
Me too. However once I got everything connected via HDMI leads I find it easier to take the HDMIs to the amp and then from there a HDMI to the TV. As it's all digital I doubt the picture is affected by going via the amp.

I've used the radio a few times though as I've got the option of radio via PC over the internet, cable radio, and freeview radio all in that room it makes little difference to me which one I use.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom