Have i chosen the right cans and do i need an amp...

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by mooperman, Dec 28, 2011.

1. mooperman

mooperman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,605
    Ok, have managed to secure myself a "man-room", it has a 50" plasma, xbox 360 and PS3 (and ps1:smashin:), no amp so just TV speakers, i have a full surround kit for the living room so wont be going down the route for my "man-room" so a pair of headphones is on for gaming, music and movies...

Have done loads and loads of reading over the last few days and have narrowed it down to 3 pairs of cans...

Senn HD 598's
    Sennheiser HD 598 High-End Open Circumaural Headphones: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

REALLY like the look of these!!

or

Denon AHD1100
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Denon-AHD11...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1325063497&sr=1-1

or

AKG702
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/AKG-K702-Op...3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1325064667&sr=1-3

appreciate the denons are much cheaper but the sound is supposed to be amazing although they do look a bit cheap!!

Music wise (and sound in general), i like bass and i like it to sound crisp, i listen to a lot of house music but also loads of soul/motown with some rock and other stuff for good measure.

So if i go for the senny's, do i need a headphone amp to go with it and what kind of thing should i be looking at, the sound will be using the headphone port of my TV and i'm about 3-4mtrs away....???

thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  2. mooperman

mooperman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,605
    just to update this, after reading reviews various ive all but decided on the AKG 702's.

Now all i need to know is will i need an amp and will the FiiO E5 work nicely??

ta.

3. Drubbing

Drubbing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    No. Worst choice of the 3 for running without an amp. They need a good one. A decent desktop, at least $300 worth. Not portables. Like any quality phones, they also need a decent source from which to amp, unless you want to hear how poor your source is. Head out on a TV will be complete arse.

These are not plug n play phones, they need quality through the chain. Go the 598. They still need a good source. TV isn't.

4. mooperman

mooperman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,605
    can you reccomend an amp, googling headphone amps is mixture of results...:confused:

5. Drubbing

Drubbing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Matrix M-Stage. Matrix M-Stage | Headfonia

Easily as good as any $500 amp, and I've heard a swag of them. You'll still need a decent source, or you'll make things worse with the amp.

6. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,507
    I'd go for the Senn's for a more balanced sound or the Denon for the mid-bass bias

The K702 imo is so neutral it is boring. You would need to colour the sound and/or use EQ settings to bring the 'fun' out

7. mooperman

mooperman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,605
    ha, thanks guys, already ordered them by the time i saw your message. still, they arrive today so we'll see what i think later on tonight.... :D

8. mooperman

mooperman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,605
    just to update on this, am sending the AKG's back, after a few days use there is just ZERO bass on them at all, the sound is a bit to clinical for my liking, am going to order the sennys i think.;)