Have I bought the right set-up?

anov24

Standard Member
Reaction score
They say a fool and his money are easily parted, I need some advice on the eqpt I have just bought:

Plasma, PDP 435XDE with side swing speakers.
DVD, Pioneer DV668AVS
SuSound, Pioneer NSDV1000

The first stupid question is, Have I bought a good set-up? each component in it's own right has received very good write ups.

The second stupid question is, the DV668AVS says .."Using DVD-Audio Bass Management, Gain and Delay Adjustment, the speaker system can be fine-tuned to the listening environment for a precise audio performance while built-in DTS and Dolby Digital decoders and Virtual Dolby Digital guarantee that the home cinema surround sound swirls around your living room."So do I need the NSDV1000 system? Don't I just need some decent speakers connected to the 668 instead?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated :lease:

DVD players can output decoded sound, but do not include an amplifier to actually drive speakers, so you still need a receiver/amplifier in order to get any sound out of the system.

Just wondering, if you're going for a surround system like the NSDV1000, why are you also buying the speakers for the plasma screen?

I'd also suggest that you ditch the NSDV1000 completely, as you don't need the DVD player component from it if you're getting the 668.

You'd do much better to get a separate amplifier/receiver like the Pioneer VSX-C502 (which is a perfect match for the 435XDE due to it having the SR+ system) and a set of speakers like the Tannoy EFX 5.1 - you'll get a better sound, future expansion capability and you'll actually save some money too.

I'm sure other people on here could advise you on alternatives to the components I've just suggested (people on here seem to have a penchant for Denon receivers)

I was advised that the side speakers could be used for some normal TV progs when maybe, the surround sound was not needed. (I also got a good deal on them, free with wall brkt for 2,700)
Hmmm? VSX-C502 ? looks like I need to do some investigating.

Thanks a lot.

Sound advice from Kier there, and once you've heard the sound from that pair you will almost never use the speakers. Of course if that turns out to be the case, you could sell them only slightly 2nd hand on the classifieds.

You've got a nice screen - you should have a top-notch sound setup too!

Thanks for the info supplied so far.
I can't quite get my head round why I need the 2 DVD players either so this makes a lot more sense from Kier:
You'd do much better to get a separate amplifier/receiver like the Pioneer VSX-C502 (which is a perfect match for the 435XDE due to it having the SR+ system) and a set of speakers like the Tannoy EFX 5.1 - you'll get a better sound, future expansion capability and you'll actually save some money too.

Kier, one more bit of advice then please..

If I exchange the NSDV1000 for the VSX-C502 and then get the Pioneer S-V510 speakers (my missus likes the floor standing and the wood effect :rolleyes: and i want all pioneer) would it still be a decent system?

And lastly, I then don't want loads of remotes all over the place, would it be easier to get one of those intelligent/programmable ones, I believe they can even control compatible remote light dimmers? (As I said, more money than sense)

Hi anov,

Firstly let's deal with the question of remotes...

The good news is that the remote that comes with the VSX-C502 will control your receiver, your DVD and the Pioneer plasma. It has loads of manufacturer's codes built in, so it may well control your VCR and whatever else you have plugged in too.

It won't replicate every function from the dedicated remotes for each component, but it does all the important ones that you tend to use on a regular basis.

I'd wait until you've got the VSX-C502 and see how much you can control with that remote before thinking about getting a programmable one.

By the way, Richer Sounds currently have the VSX-C502 selling for £249.95...

Now, about the speakers. It has to be said that there's really no benefit to having the same badge on your speakers as on the rest of your kit, and Pioneer aren't generally noted for their speakers, but I must say that I have never heard the S-V510 set so I wouldn't want to pass judgement right away.

One thing I would definitely point out though is that there is no subwoofer in that package, and a good sub is a real must for a decent sonic experience these days.

If you want a set of wood-finish floor standers on a budget of under £300, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Mission 7i series, which are now going for a song at Richer Sounds. I put together a system for a friend a couple of years ago based around these and it was a really superb system considering the price.

I'd go for the following (prices based on Richer Sounds website)

Pioneer VSX-C502-S £249.95
Mission M73i floorstanding speakers (pair) £119.95
Mission M71i bookshelf speakers (pair) £99.95
Mission M7C1i center speaker £49.95
Total price: £519.80

then pick a subwoofer of your choice to complete the package.

As an aside, if you would rather not have stand/shelf mounted rear speakers, why not drop the M71i rears and replace them with another pair of floor standing M73i? The extra £20 they cost is far less than the cost of decent speaker stands...

Anyway, given the choice of the Pioneer S-V510 speakers or that Mission set up, I would go for the Mission ones without hesitation. I'll often recommend Pioneer DVD players, plasma screens and amplifiers (just look at my signature!) but I find their speakers rather lacking I'm afraid.

Do let us know how you get on and what you decide :)

swap the mission for Canton CD series (brushed aluminium silver or black finish) from power buy something like 2xCD100, 1xCD50, 2CD10,1xAS22C Sub........Fanatastic look and sound.................
EDIT: and get a harmony H655 remote.......... :smashin:

I'm sorry to say that I just don't rate the Canton CD series with the almost fanatical reverence they seem to get from these forums.

Maybe it's just a personal preference, but I'd much rather have the Mission package (and save almost £200) than the Cantons.

/me prepares for the onslaught of posts from Canton fans...

It's the av sales influence I suppose. I'm 'OK' with them, lots of folks don't want floorstanders, and they are a smaller, neater thing. I'm big into Gallo for that, but they are more money. I agree the sound quality of the missions is noticeably better than the Cantons, I don't like Kef eggs either, you can hear the speakers don't weigh enough, kind of?

the missions will sound better (large box speaker generally do) Gallo look the part and sound OK, Have never blown me away (micros) the A'Diva are very good but price is well up there....The cantons offer Lifestyle speaker looks with decent performance for less money........they are much better than Kef eggs (5005 also) and BOSE etc, If you have the room for large florrstander from Wharfedale/mission/kef/B&W etc go get em, but they dont always fit with the look of a sleek flat TV and minimalist room.........

Have you heard the Canton CD's Keir?

@Kier does the Pioneer VSX-C502-S have the ability to correct lypsinc problems !

Many thanks for you help, I have now changed my order to:

Plasma, PDP 435XDE with side swing speakers.
DVD, Pioneer DV668AVS
Pioneer VSX-C502
Pioneer S-VLF3 speakers.
Sky+

I know that the speakers go against the grain on what was recommended but they include the sub-woofer and I believe I got another good deal.

I don't know whether to sell the Pioneer side swing speakers 9PDP-S26LR) and Pioneer bracket (PDK-WM01) when they are delivered and opt for the tilt/swivel bracket which is mentioned on one of the other threads.

Once again, thanks for the info, what a great friendly site.

Good luck with your setup, anov. Do let us know how those snazzy-looking Pioneer speakers sound when they arrive!

MAW - Totally agree about the Kef eggs - the crossover between the sub and the satellites is way too apparent for my taste, and the satellites have that 'Look how it sounds when we mount a driver in an ice-cream tub' sound to them in my opinion.

As for the Canton CD series, nobody can dispute that they look great, but at the end of the day they seem to me to be biased more towards being designer furniture than being really great speakers. Those teeny cones that are supposed to add up to a single larger cone really don't, and I find the sound rather harsh and uninspiring.

But hey, that's just me :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom