Have I blown RGB controller?

adam81

I bought some tape and controller a while back. First tests proved all was OK, before I got out the solder iron.

I was soldering it this morning and now seem to have problems. I've soldered 2 tapes together giving me a total run of 7.5m @ 60/m.

I've got the correct PSU for the job and bought this controller as it is supposed to do 4a per channel. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-24V-12...610?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4841e34c82

Initially it seems I soldered the middle join incorrectly as I wasn't getting any blue at all. and only half of one side would illuminate (although all multimeter tests proved current was bridging the join). I then dual fed the tape from either end and when I took out the middle bridge I had the correct colours at both ends (with hot power straight from the PSU)

But now dual feeding with no join the controller can't do a very strong blue, and doesn't appear to respond the the remote. I tried it on a short cut off strip that still had the original connections on and was behaving the same as the longer 2 strips.

Question is have I some how inadvertently blown the controller? I can get solid colours just touching the negative to the corresponding terminals (no controller in the loop) on each tape at full intensity, but when I put the multimeter across the controller still get 12v down each colour even blue which strikes me as odd if it is fried?

If I have I'd be tempted to get one of these instead and put an RGB amp in the loop as the remote should be easier to program into my harmony..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IR-Box-Re...al_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item2a15a8a531

Any help appreciated.
Cheers
Adam

supraTTman

Banned
Yep - you've nadgered it!

I must admit that I was shocked when I first dismantled one of these PWM controllers ('cos thats what I do!). The output devices are not your usual DPAK Power MOSFETS rated at >17A but tiny SOT-23 devices that are surely not able to handle 4A continuously. Having said that, I've blown up a few Power MOSFETS by being complacent - e.g. unplugging LED strip from controller whilst still running - not recommended!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom