1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have I blown my speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by froowstie, Jul 2, 2005.

1. froowstie

froowstie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey there,

I have a pair of B&W 703s hooked up to an Harman Kardon AVR630... I've been very happy with this config for the last year, and love the clarity and depth this arrangement provides.

Then last weekend, I threw a big party and had the tunes pumping for a solid 12 hours, nothing dramatic happened except for the HK overheating and turning off a couple of times, but I've always seen that issue with the HKs so that didn't worry me, I just turned it down and pointed a fan at the amp to generate some airflow. But now, a week later, after I've had some time to listen to some music, I can't help but feel the system doesn't sound quite right.... I'm listening to a CD in stereo mode, and the sound seems flat, and there doesn't seem to be any depth to the music. When I switch into surround mode and pipe the sound through my Energy RVS-2 centre channel (which was disabled during the party) the finer details come flooding back.

I've blown speakers in the past, and it was immediately obvious, the sound distorted badly, this isn't happening.... but I feel something is not right.

So my questions are:
    - How can I tell if I've blown my speakers?
    - Are there any physical traits of a blown speaker?
    - If I haven't blown them, what could explain the flat sound I'm hearing?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards, froowstie

2. Cliff

Cliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,706
    Have you taken off the grills and put your ear to each tweeter to check they are still working?

3. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    If they are bi-wirable, connect the amp only to the treble and see if you get sound, then try the same with the mid/bass unit.

If you are getting sound, the speakers should be fine.

I find the best test for blown electric items is the smell test. Smell the cd/amp/speakers when cold and warm.

Don't forget music sounds better loud especically if there is beer involved, it maybe that you are just comparing the sound too the quality of when it was played loud.

4. froowstie

froowstie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have sound coming out of all 3 drive units... that is the midrange from the kevlar cone and bass from the paper cones.

However, I can't hear anything coming out of the Nautilus tweeter unit that atop the 703? Do audible sounds normally come out of these?

Cheers, froowstie

5. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Yes, you should get sound from the tweeter. There soundn't be much sound, but there will be a bit.

Try turning the amp up and playing some classic / jazz music (lots of treble). If you still can't hear anything then you have a problem.

Great speakers by the way. They were on my shopping list for quite a while.

6. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    p.s. i will give it a go on my Monitor audio GR20's for a bench mark.

7. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Yep, a lot more music than i thought.

8. froowstie

froowstie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, definitely not getting anything out of my top tweeters. Will try the bi-wire test.

It's just sounding a bit "cotton wooly".

I agree with Stevos comments about the beer and the perceived sound quality... but I've been listening to this setup for 12 months and i'm fairly certain something has changed.