have i been hacked

avfrms5032

Established Member
Reaction score
I am with Virgin Media, i have 5 VMe-mail addresses and every so often i get an e-mail entitled
New sign-in from Chrome on Windows when i log into my virgin e-mail.

the e-mails start with

"Your Google Account [email protected] was just used to sign in from Chrome on Windows."

but its a virgin e-mail account, it isn't a google account, so how and why are google tracking me logging into my VM accounts, and why are they identifying my VM e-mail account as a google account.

As an example

from google 30th sept

the e-mail proposes the email account was logged into in cheshire as follows

Windows
Wednesday, 30 September 2015 21:18 (British Summer Time)
Cheshire East, UK*
Chrome

there is also an attatchement symbol on the email ( paper clip ) which i never click on.

I do not live in Cheshire.

is there a way i can look at the attachment safetly ?

Sometimes when i try to log into Steam, the Steam system asks me to validate my account because it thinks i'm logging in from a new machine

so steam sends me a special log in code to my email address that i have to use to login with.

Whenever this occurs steam always identifies my steam account as being located on a machine located in cheshire

Chesire in both cases - any ideas, is this dangerous.

Last edited:
Definitely DON'T open any attachment. Sounds like it could be a genuine message but even so there's no need to open any attachment as IF it's genuine it's just informing you about someone signing into Google Chrome (Google's web browser).

So do you use Google Chrome on a windows machine?

The first thing I do when I suspect an email is to get the email address and check the domain name (@domainname.xxx). If it doesn't look right, then you know it's fake

they''re from google telling me iv'e logged into a google account when in reality i've logged into a virgin media account

You virgin email or any email can be linked to google account though. For example to login and comment on youtube etc.
However that has recently changed. See this:
http://help.virginmedia.com/system/...&LANGUAGE=en&COUNTY=us&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=Cable

As for the location Cheshire that often happens when these services try to track your location from your public ip address. For example, Apple's new two step verification service tells me I live in Shewburys when I verify a login on new equipment, I live in Kent however.

So the question still remains, have you been using Chrome browser on a Windows machine at a similar time to these messages arriving????????? If you have I wouldn't worry. Either case I think safe to delete them.

Might want to run a separate virus scanner and malware scanner on your pc/s just to check all's well.

You virgin email or any email can be linked to google account though. For example to login and comment on youtube etc.
However that has recently changed. See this:
http://help.virginmedia.com/system/...&LANGUAGE=en&COUNTY=us&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=Cable

As for the location Cheshire that often happens when these services try to track your location from your public ip address. For example, Apple's new two step verification service tells me I live in Shewburys when I verify a login on new equipment, I live in Kent however.

So the question still remains, have you been using Chrome browser on a Windows machine at a similar time to these messages arriving????????? If you have I wouldn't worry. Either case I think safe to delete them.

Might want to run a separate virus scanner and malware scanner on your pc/s just to check all's well.

thankyou that was very helpful

yes the google emails correspond to me logging into virgin media e-mail accounts
it was the one saying ihad loggedin in chesire that bothered me

i use a @gmail.com for my google acount and you tube
i only use @virginmedia.com for virgin media

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom