Have I been done?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by chui, Sep 5, 2007.

Tags:
  1. chui

chui
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Gents,

I bought a Evesham 37" LCD 1080i TV in March and I though it would be all singing all dancing. I am very pleased with the TV, but now I have heard about 1080p, should I have waited for the 1080p sets?

Is their a big difference in picture quality? I have read on CNET that their isn't but I was just wondering what your experiences have been?

2. lostbok

lostbok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    tbh - your screen is probably 720p resolution (13xx X 768) anyway...

so the picture is always at 720... it's just that the TV can take in 1080i signals and re-process them on the 720 screen...

even if you have bought a 1080 res screen (1920x1080), then there is very little between 720p and 1080p at 40" or less... 1080p will only really be of benefit for the odd Blueray disc and maybe for gaming... but either way

TOP TIP: if the screen is only 720 resolution - don't get your Sky/cable/PS3/xbox/xbox360 to output at 1080p/i... you get a better picture at 720p settings!

3. Phantoma

Phantoma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1080p on a 37" TV would be a waste because you wouldn't see the difference unless you were 1 metre away from the screen.

4. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    Sorry to say this but you haven't been "done", unfortunately you just did not complete your research properly on all the options available before purchase.

As this is an AV enthusiast's forum, there are many on here that read reviews etc of different models / upcoming technologies for at least 6 months before they put their hand in their pockets (some much longer than that - but you have to make the leap at some point).

5. lostbok

lostbok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    To answer the original question: depends how you define "done"...

If the Evesham Evesham 37'' Alqemi is the 37" screen that you bought, then even by today's standard, it's not too bad on paper... and at a VERY cheap price... the only thing you're noticably lacking compared to the latest budget models is contrast: 1000:1 is fairly low (or very honest!).

As predicted, the screen is a "720" screen: "WXGA 1366 x 768".

Theoretically you can input 1080i (1920 x 1080 interlaced) pictures, but you'd be better off putting in data that the screen doesn't have to process and resize to fit the screen.

More modern screens will be able to cope with 1080p sources and reprocess them to their 720p screens... but even they are also better off keeping thier source to 720p - otherwise they're "crunching" 3 pixels into every 2 on the screen (or more accurately 9 into every 4).

I have a 32" "1080P capable" screen... read "720p screen, 1080p processing".... and my xbox(1) can output 1080i (horrible) and 720p (much sharper and more solid).... the PS3 can output 1080p and 720p, but I do still find the 720p a bit easier on the eye.

It's only in the last few months that there have been some genuinely 1080p 37" screens on the market and initially those were around double the price of the Evesham... and even now, they're still about 50% more than the Evesham offering.

You were only "done" if the salesman persuaded you to buy that on the basis that it was a 1080i screen, when it is just capable of processing a 1080i signal into 720i and then displaying them on your presumably very capable* 720 screen.

* it would seem that you were very happy before, but only concerned now that you heard that there were bigger and better things out there.

If you're annoyed at the fact that "HD Ready" was touted as "HDTV", then don't worry, there's millions of people who bought 720p/i screens and are now p!ssed off that they're not getting the full benefit of HD, 'cos the "1080i" element is a bit of a token gesture.

If it's any consolation - as mentioned before by numerous others.... at anything less than 1 metre you CAN NOT tell the difference between full 1080p and 720p on a 37" screen.... even on a 42" screen you need to be uncomfortably close to be able to tell the difference between a good 720p and a good 1080p screen.

6. chui

chui
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yeah, thats my television.

Thanks for the info Lostbok, much appreciated

Ah well, note to self "Don't rush out and buy expensive items in future" !!!:lesson:

7. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    We've all done it at some point mate .....

I bought a £200 2 megapixel digital camera only to see 5 mp models come out shortly afterward.

Oh and that was a (non-insured) replacement for one that had been stolen.

:cool:

As for your TV, at 720p though for a 37" it'll do you fine for a while until you decide to up the screen size.

8. LivingForever

LivingForever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Re: the poster who said the TV will display 720 signals without rescaling - I don't believe that's true, as the resolution of the scereen is 768, so it has to rescale 720 up to 768!

9. lostbok

lostbok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    chui - I'm guessing you paid <&#163;700 for it (given it's &#163;500 now and the Toshiba 37's were about &#163;700 at Christmas).... so it's not that much for a TV that's still capable of everything you need.

And you'll hear it time and again - you have to jump in at some stage... otherwise you're never in the game... I added the 2nd bit :)

WRT the 720p vs 1080p stuff... at 37", especially under &#163;900, you probably want to stick to 720p anyway... But if you have a choice, use a 720p video source rahter than 1080i - less owrk for your TV... the worst case is if you're upscaling something (e.g. DVD) and upscaling it to 1080i... only for your TV to then downscale it to 720i - that would be two lots of converting to get an interlaced image, when a 720p source would have just been the initial upscaling.... and a progressive scan picture, not interlaced....