Have had my DSLR 4 months... how am I doing?

MitsiTurbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Well ive had my 400d just coming up to 4 months now. I had an understanding of photography before but this is my first DSLR. Had a sort through last night and these are my favorites. Question is, am I doing ok?! I feel that I need to work on exposure somewhat.

flower.jpg

flower2.jpg

pyramid.jpg

Holocaustmemorial.jpg

Flag.jpg

IMG_1363bw.jpg

IMG_1444bw.jpg

C&C very much welcome. Anything to help me improve!

Many thanks

John

Hi john, nice set of pics there, I especially like 2,3 and 4. Great composition on all of them and exposure looks ok to me as well :thumbsup:

Looking pretty good to me. I do like #4 - were is that?

If you need to know more about exposure, try "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. I have just got it and am about half way through. Very very useful so far.

I'd thin your black frames a bit. They can look overbearing and distract from the photos, especially the delicate flower ones.

Thanks for the comments chaps. Is a nice feeling that theyre coming along nicely!

Tobers, #4 is the 'Memorial to the murdered Jews of Europe' in Berlin. There is a heart wrenching museum underneath it with letters and other items recovered from the concentration camps.
I am going to get onto amazon now and get that book and also have a fiddle with those borders! :thumbsup:

Thanks again

John

Simple answer .. You are doing great..carry on like this you be doing even better

#1 looks a bit dull ( Maybe a bit more PP in PS will bring it to life) might also be my monitor
#2 Im not too sure of the cropping .Not one single flower shows in full and the focus seems soft ( maybe its the lens showing its limitations or maybe compression for posting on the web has "softened" it)

The rest are fab:thumbsup:
I especially like the Bricks ( Pyramid) framing is great and both mono portraits

The pyramid one looks a bit dark to me, although that may be the intended look. The fourth shot is fantastic though, really good!

Hi ya

Think you are doing a great job.:thumbsup:

The one of the bloke smoking stands out for me.

Cheers Holo:smashin::smashin:

Yes I would agree, the borders are overpowering, but your B&W conversions are just right especially the one of Hannah and Jenny!

Doing flippin' well mate. The flowers ones lack a certain 'pop' but IMHO don't suffer too badly for it, still nicely exposed and composed and good use of DOF.
The BW ones are equally excellent and demonstrate how you've got your eye in very nicely already.:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom