1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have DVD Players outputting Standard Definition reached it's Limit?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by samhain, Apr 12, 2005.

1. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    DVD players all seem to provide 'decent' performance nowadays across the board.

They seem to be more flexible with more connections and can play more formats, and can upscale to high definition, but fundamentally, if you have a DVD player some is 18 months or even older that received a technically excellent review then, that is not beaten by new lab tests today on new generation machines, will there still be a performance boost on lets say a Pioneer 575A on standard definition TV or SD Plasma than the older no less technical machinery?

Just a thought.

2. barongreenback

barongreenback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    When I was reading reviews of some of the newer Denons they compared the 1910/2910/3910 as having better features and playback than Denon's top of the range player 2 years ago. As you say though, if you're looking at a standard screen without prog scan then I would guess that you would see less difference.

A lot of people here say that they're holding off buying a player until HD-DVD/Blu ray comes out but I wonder whether early examples of these machines will be able to play DVDs as well as dedicated DVD players?