1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have decided to be the worlds best photographer!!

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by morgs, Dec 20, 2004.

1. morgs

morgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The only thing is....... I haven't a clue!

I have a Kodak easyshare DX4900 which I've had for a couple of years now, and it takes some lovely little pics.... (if you don't look too closely)

BUT I WANT to look a little more closely. We're not talking DSLR (yet!) but somewhere between that, and my point and shoot.
    Current camera has 4 mp, and I don't know how higher than that I have to go to see a difference. (I have also read reviews of cameras with 3mp outperforming 6mp!! Why?? That's confusing!!)

I've also got photoshop elements coming (so I can start to play a bit)

Can anyone suggest a camera that I can start to learn on, but has point and shoot abillity (for Mrs morgs), and any good resources (web or book) to learn some theory?

Thanks in anticipation

morgs

2. zygote

zygote

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can wait 'till after Christmas, I'll let you know how good the Panasonic DMC-FZ20 is. :smashin: It gets great reviews as a "step-before-DSLR" type of camera and with 12x optical zoom, I'm looking forward to some cracking shots.

Check these links for more info:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/fz20.html
    http://zimfamilycockers.com/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC-FZ20.html (good real-world review)
    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraDetail.php?cam=604
    http://www.dcviews.co.uk/_panasonic/fz20.htm

The Panasonic will be my 3rd digital camera, having has 2 Kodaks before. I decided against another Kodak as I find that the images from them tend to be quite noisy, even on my last one which was an LS433, 4 megapixel job.

Hope this helps.

3. morgs

morgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks, yes I'd seen the panasonic reviews and was tempted to have a look.

Also got my eye on an older fuji S602z

I guess I want picture quality, but ease of use.

Morgs

4. morgs

morgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm also aware that my older thread asking about a camera for my parents has popped up!

No, I am not going startk raving mad, it's just that Mrs Morgs (bless her!) suggested that If I treated myself to a new camera, I could donate my kodak to them!! I knew there was a reason I married her!

Morgs

5. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,886
    I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts of the Panasonic DMC-FZ20 .

6. blahblah

blahblah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
  7. zygote

zygote

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you mean me or Morgs?

8. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,886
    Sorry, I should have said you mate. Unless you both get one, then I'd be interested to hear from you both !
    (sorry for hijacking the thread)

9. paulc1

paulc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I have a fuji s602z and, find that the picture quality is not as good as my 4mp Canons G2 or G3, also the pictures are very noisy when examined, this is because they are interpolated to 6mp.
    On the plus side, it has a supermacro function, a 6x optical zoom, and oodles of manual controls,...it's Just the picture quality that lets it down.

10. morgs

morgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What are the pictures like at 3mp? (I've heard that they can be very good!)

What size prints have you got from them?

I've seen a cheap one (under £100 with a 256mb card) Tempted, even if to learn some technique, then sell it on!)

morgs

11. morgs

morgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Paul, those pics look great. Can you remember if any were taken with the fuji?

Cheers

morgs

12. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,666
    I've just sold a Fuji S7000 with the intention of buying a DSLR but I'm sorely tempted to try the Panasonic FZ20 first. Decisions, decisions :confused:.

If you want to PM your email address I'll send you some samples from the S7000. Also note that Fuji's repair centre is knocking out refurbed cameras with 6 months warranty.

As far as technique goes I'd recommend something that was popular in the 20th century - books! :laugh:

A trawl of your local charity shops & even the library should turn up loads of "old" 35mm based books. Although the technology has changed the physics of good photography hasn't.

13. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My experience of Fuji cameras is that they are good, BUT, Fuji insist on using a very high compression rate for their jpegs, consequently, the photos tend to be noisy. This is even the case with their high end range cameras. You can chose TIF format at the highest resolution, but this is interpolated which itself can cause noise.

So, if, like me, you're quite fussy, look for a camera that gives various setting for jpeg compression and use the lowest compression which, whilst the file size will be larger, will yield better results. Better still would be if it can save as TIF as well as RAW format (although RAW format will require some user post processing to get best results).

14. morgs

morgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well, I've listened to, digested it, and carefully ignored you!! LOL

I bought a fuji S602Z

I weighed up the pros and cons, and it came out as a winner for having point and shoot, but also to train me up for the day I buy a DSLR! (Steep learning curve aproaching!)

And I couldn't refuse the deal. (under £100 with a 256mb card thrown in!)

At that money, I think I must have a bargain!! (one sold on ebay last night for over £200 with no media attached!)

Do any of you guys subscribe to a magazine? Which are the best (or are they all a waste of money?

Oh! And elements 3 arrived yesterday. V. scary! (I'm fairly confident in ICT,) but are their any decent tutorial resources out there. (save time!)

Regards
    Morgs

15. paulc1

paulc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    sorry for the delay getting back to you morgs,...for under £100, I would snap your hands off, down to your ankles,...You got a bargain.

I also find that I can make the interpolated images look better by using paintshop pros, Median cut feature, it makes the pictures look more natural.

Dont get me wrong, I really do like the camera, and you will find that you will be able to print images to A4 and above.
    I really hope that you enjoy the s602z, I would also suggest getting some rechargable batteries, I have 2 sets, and have never been stuck yet for power.:)

16. morgs

morgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Been having a play around today (and yes, I've already got myself fixed up with 8xAA's!!)

Loving Macro!!!

Paul, I'm going to be printing mainly to 6x4 and 10x8

Do you recommend (certainly at first) that I stick to fine in 3mp?

Morgs

17. paulc1

paulc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I always use the best quality jpeg files,however, with we having an old pc, tiff files take ages to load up, but I'm sure that you will find what suits you best,..One other huge advantage with the s602z is the dual memory slots.

I once took some photo's of a seagull in tiff format, and my friend printed one on his Epson 2100 in A3 size, and it was superb.

one other thing is that thes602z has a normal iso of 200, so I usually set it to p on the mode dial and use iso 50.

18. morgs

morgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Interesting!

On some of the reviews i read, they said that on such a sized print, there is an awful lot of noise. Do you think it better because you used tiff?

19. paulc1

paulc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    definately, but even in best jpeg mode, you will print A4 with no problems at all.

20. THC3

THC3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're really serious about getting a really good point and shoot then I suggest you consider Nikon's new Cool-Pix 8800 - an effective 8 megapixel camera that provides pro quality optics. I use the DSLR X1A and D70 - and nothing else comes close. I have recommended the 8700 to others and they absolutely love the results. So either model would be your best bet. This camera holds its value to - so when it comes to get really serious you be starting over as with most other digital cameras.

21. THC3

THC3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgot to mention that you'll be able to get up to an amazing 20x30 print with this camera - I've seen some and they look fantastic!