1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have cash but no idea

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Krance, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Krance

Krance

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to buy a plasma display. The only requirements I can think of are;

Must be black or dark grey (white wall and i think it looks better, more importantly the mrs krance does)
    Must have HDMI input (bought the DVD player for this very reason)
    Must be able to input digital cable (somehow)
    High Definition is not really a must but would like to future proof it a little (I think the normal res plasmas look warmer somehow, lack of a good source?)

The most I want to spend is 3,500 quid or 5,000 euro silly money for Plasma, + and boxes I need to buy (I am in Holland so delivery and prices always seem to be a problem)

I already have DVD player with HDMI (the Denon 3910)

So far I have looked at Pioneer 435 XDE but don't like it that they sell it with a digital tuner that doesn't have a CAM available for the digital TV provider, so I would need something else to do that and therefore renders the box pretty useless (but you pay for it)

I have also looked at the Panasonic but the HD version of the PW7 doesn't appear available in dark grey and there are no HDMI component boards available yet.

I have got as far as DVD connect through HDMI (hopefully), digital TV box (cable, probably Nokia Media 119C with RGB scart output) > JS converter > VGA lead to plasma VGA port.

I am really looking for best advice, just as I seem to answer all my questions I get a headache.

What would your recomendation be? I know you have to see it yourself but everytime I look at the plasma I am never really sure what source I am seeing (I think bad service in Holland is to blame but that's another issue)

2. Krance

Krance

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have now found out that the connection idea seems sound, can't do much better direct connections for the same money.

I also found out, thanks to av-sales that the High Definition PW7 is available in the dark grey (seems pretty good to me)... but,

still no signs of HDMI component boards for the PW7 series.. :confused:

has anyone been informed of any date they will be delievered or at least due to resellers?

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    pioneer do a lovely gloss black finish and HDMI works with the TV versions and i assume the Panel range have a look at the MXE Pioneers

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,592
    Hello Krance

The TH-42PHD7BKJ (1024x768) HD Display is ONLY available in Charcoal in the UK.

The TY-42TM6DB DVI card works fine with the Denon DVD-3910 - the card's even supplied with a half decent DVI cable.

I cant see the TY-FB7HM HDMI card offering you anything the DVI card doesn't cover - I'm sure if it did and you have a sympathetic dealer you could swap it out if the need arises.

Your Budget will just about stretch to a Lumagen or DVDO external Video Processor - you can use these to scale and process the signal to fit the 1024x768 pixel array better than the Displays own electronics allow; and they give you the ability to input composite, S-Video, RGB and YUV analogue signals along with DVI Digital signals.

Both DVDO and Lumagen accept RGB+Composite sync signals from SCART RGB sources so no requirement for external RGB converters.

We've put a few of these combinations together over the past weeks and I have to say its an excellent package.

Best regards

Joe

5. Krance

Krance

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Never thought that I could get a scaler for that money. I can stretch a little further if I want to but was trying to control the budget...

I had a 3 grand budget for the sound system and that went out the window too

do you have a nice offer then...?