1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have bought an old amp. : Am I thinking too much?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Archwn, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Archwn

Archwn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone. I recently have bought NAD 3120 amp. from Ebay. I also bought NAD302 which is newer also. I noticed that the 302 sound has more detail and dynamic. Is this because the 3120 is too old or because of its charactoristic? Is buying an old amp. drops it performance? (a lot? :confused: ) coz I'm now consider buying old audiolab 8000A and Cyrus II from Ebay as well.

Has anyone ever listened to these amps.? Please show me the light. :lease:

2. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I always found the NAD 3020 to be dull and rather boring,even though a classic,I agree the 302 was more detailed aswell,matched well to some brighter B&W speakers,the Audiolab is completly different,a much better amp,a bit grey and cold,but clear,clean midrange,clean treble,just hardend up when pushed but a fine amp,a good SH buy.

3. Archwn

Archwn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers mate. 8000A and Cyrus II are a good buy then. :rolleyes:

4. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Both are good amps but so much depends on the rest of the system.

5. HappyLad

HappyLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One problem that can be had with old amps is ageing of components.
    In particular I'm thinking of electrolytic caps in the power supply. Over time they can leak and need replacing. Not a big job, but one that will cost if you can't DIY.
    Also, mechanical pots on volume controls can get dirty and crackle. Again, doesn't have to be a show stopper, electrical contact cleaner can solve these problems if you can get to the wipers.
    I guess it all boils down to how much you get get the Cyrus and Audiolab amps for.

6. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Very good point regarding the caps and one which is not often talked about with older equipment, if your a DIY'er this could also be an excuse to upgrade the caps :)

7. Archwn

Archwn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers everyone. :clap:

What about the semiconductor things? like transistors and/or mosfets. Is it worth getting them replaced?

Does anyone knows what will it sound like if the caps are leak and/or the semiconductor is about to let go?

No hope for 3120? :rolleyes: