• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Have anyone noticed any image distortion on CRT’s on high volume?

Nielo TM

Distinguished Member
I have seen image vibration, distortion, noise, shimmering and shivering on all CRT’s including Panasonic and Sony (but not that much on Sony and Panasonic). It happens when I increase base and overall volume. I think it’s caused by the vibration from the speakers vibrating the electron gun. Have anyone noticed this?

PS: I tested the Sammy at Comet store backing 2001. The Sammy 21” SDTV was playing the Pink's music video (the one with the kid and pink as single parent). Every time there is a base beat, the screen shivers on the left and right of the side. That’s were the speakers were located. To make this even more weird, it happens to every CRT, even on PC diamondtron flat screens.

zircon3035

Yes, its the shadow mask/aperture grill vibrating in sympathy with the low frequency sounds. This always used to be more of a problem on Trinitron tubes because the aperture grill had only a few cross ties compared to the relatively rigid shadow mask in a 'normal' c.r.t. and would vibrate more easliy.

A sharp slap to the TV cabinet (preferably in Comet rather than at home:)) will show the effect.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom