1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

have all the problems with TheaterTek been fixed yet?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by cameronl, Dec 15, 2004.

1. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hi there all, i've always used powerdvd and it seems fine to me on my radeon 9800 & RME 9632. Still, I'm thinking about upgrading my graphics card.

Does anyone know whether all the TheaterTek problems have been fixed i.e. is a resolution of 848*480 now useable? Is the latest Nvida graphics card the one to get or should i be tempted by the new Radeon? ...or should i wait another few months to get something even better??

playing COD is also important! :)

thanks all

CaM

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111

Think its fine but the OSD are the wrong size and overlap the edges the ofthe screen at this res.

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    IMHO a 6xxx card is the best bet these days .. there'll always be something better in a few months. ;)

And no, TT hasn't been changed to allow the video settings to be used on lower resolutions, it may be dealt with in 2.06 which is expected 'soon' but Andrew hasn't been explicit, beyond saying it's now his top priority and that it's not as trivial as may it may appear.

4. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    thanks for the update all - I'll stay well clear of theater tek then.... I don't believe they haven't fixed this issue as there are so many of us out there with 848*480 displays. I remember when it was first discovered and it was there top prority then....

I'll stick with powerdvd as it works as advertised and I'll look at those nice new graphic cards :)

CaM

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    IMHO TT is far better than PDVD and you can get around the UI problems with the Video Settings by using the display's settings .. what the truth behind the "it isn't trivial" statement Andrew made about the changes needed I can't say, it was certainly a moronic decision for him to have taken that he didn't hink anyone these days uses less than 1024-pixel wide displays, even many American HT owners can't afford XGA or better projectors and TVs.

As Keith also noted, it's only a UI painting problem as low-res, DVDs play perfectly okay.

6. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    it was defiently a very poor choice he made regarding the resolution. My Sim2 DMF is a truely lovely projector and I won't be upgrading it any time soon. imho powerdvd had the edge on tt 1.5 ...especially since tt couldn't handle an RME 9632 back then.

I think I'll wait for powerdvd 6 instead :)

CaM

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    PDVD 6 is out now. ;)

8. Embarker

Embarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The increase in the pic quality alone is worth it and if you are using a RME analogue the audio side is much better with TT2.

It is as others say just a GUI fault, you can do everything via a right click and do not keep getting the "player" pop up as you do with Power.

I used powerDVD, but much prefer TT2 especially with how nice it intergates with xlobby and can handle ts, avi and WMV - not a bad overall solution I say.

I thought PowerDVD 6 was out already

Dave

9. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    yes, powerdvd 6 is indeed out :)

I too use Xlobby and love it btw.

CaM

10. raydundas@bluey

raydundas@bluey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there anyplace I can download a Demo of TT2, to see if I like it or not ?

11. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    No, there never has been a demo version, you have to pay and then obtain a refund .. pretty unfriendly but at least I've never seen anyone complain about problems getting a refund within the 7-day trial period.

12. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    well it does seem to work though : I've never seen a cracked version of theatertek . Not that I went looking.