Have aerial but no channels found

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by cruickville, Aug 24, 2017.

1. cruickville

cruickville
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I could really do with some help please. Moved into a 10 year old house which has a sky dish outside but also has a lovely shiny aerial in the loft. I don't want/can't afford a sky subscription so thought I had nothing better to do that purchase an aerial cable and boom it would work. But no it is not working - no channels found (freeview tv that does work). I have a socket in my livingroom which has a place for a normal aerial and a sky connection (threaded connector) - I did take off front facing to check it was all connected behind. I also have a two cables coming out of the wall in my bedroom - I think these are both sky cables.

Any idea what is going on? Is there an easy fix for this or something I should look out for in my loft or bite the bullet and phone up a tv aerial man.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Cx

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,351
    You left out an important piece of info...do you have a Sky box? If so what kind...Sky, Sky+ or Sky+HD.
    Answer this first then we can give you the info you need.
    Also, as you're asking about Sky you've posted this in the wrong forum...we have a dedicated forum for Satellite queries but as you're a new member we can overlook that this time.

3. cruickville

cruickville
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, thanks for reply, nope no sky box or any box of any kind. just trying to get the aerial to work for freeview , apparently my tv has this.

4. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,351
    I presume you've tried retuning your Tv?
    Brand and model no of Tv would help us to help you.
    You'll find it printed on a label on it's rear.

5. cruickville

cruickville
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi yes tried retuning the tv , infact I had 2 TV's and neither worked when reinstalling (i'm ok at that basic stuff). did it in front of another person and totally perplexed as to what is going on. it's like the aerial has been disconnected and superseded by sky - can that happen?

6. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,351
    Yes, it's possible the aerial has never been in use or has been disconnected.
    Time to call in an aerial man.

7. thewhofan

thewhofan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    There is no guarantee that the aerial in the loft is connected to the aerial socket in your living room, it sounds like it isn't. Depending where you live, you might get a better signal from the Sky dish than the loft aerial but you would need a freesat box (around £80). Do you know anyone that would let you borrow their box to test whether the satellite sockets / dish work.

8. STUDIO0

STUDIO0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34

9. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    What often happens is that people take critical bits of kit away with them when they move out, not understanding the relevance.

For example, you might have an amplifier in your loft that needs a power supply somewhere in the house. Have a close look at your loft aerial and see if you can see any boxes mounted to it.

Something like this:- Pro-Series Masthead Amplifier Kits - Antiference

If you do, you may need a power supply in your living room (that's the second bit of kit in the photo). The previous occupiers may have taken it away by accident.

Without the PSU, you'll often get no signal at all.

10. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +963
    He's not asking about Sky. He's asking about Freeview, like he said in his first post, but just mentioned that he had a Sky dish and cabling. So this is the right forum.
    Is there a cable connected to the TV socket as well as the two sat sockets?
    How may cables are coming from the LNB on the dish and what connectors do the bedroom cables have on them. If the former is four and the latter have screw F types plugs then they are likely to be Sat cables for a second Sat box.
    I like stevelup's first paragraph as a likely problem and its the bottom bit in his link that's missing. The masthed amp may look something like the silver bit inside the box on THIS box, screwed directly to the aerial. If yo have such a device, you need a power supply unit for it. Something like THIS and associated F type connectors and patch lead etc.
    Having said that, if you are in a strong signal area you may not need the masthead amp so you could try bypassing it in the loft. A lot of folk think that a masthed amp is the panacea for a good picture. It isn't. In most instances it is not needed and can introduce more problems than it cures by overloading the input circuitry in the TV causing picture/quality loss worse than a weak (but adequate) signal. If you have a signal that doesn't pixellate or break up, the picture/sound isn't going to get any better than that. It's digital, It's either there in all its glory or not there with a very narrow signal strength borderline between the two.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  11. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    We need pictures of both the wall plates/cables, the dish and cables, and the loft aerial and cables (plus any other bits the aerial cables connect to).

That might help us work out where things are likely to be... if anything is missing etc.,.

Look for a mains supply in the loft to an amplified splitter?

Maybe a chance to speak to a neighbour and get one of your sets tuned in on their aerial to aid your connections diagnosis?

12. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,351
    "He's" a she [emoji1] and the subject line mentioned Sky and "ariel" and was a bit ambiguous as to the symptoms and equipment in use.

13. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +963
    Sorry about the extreme sexual stereotyping.:blush:
    A read through her opening post explains that she is trying to get her Freeview TV working on an aerial in the loft, and as you rightly point out, mentioning Sky was just a red herring. She also sort of implied that she had bought and fitted the new aerial.
    If the TV is known to work (which it is), it must be the connection between the aerial and the wall plate/set that's the problem. If she also fitted the new aerial, it doesn't seem likely that there is a MHA/dist amp in the path either unless it's up there and remote(ish) from the aerial itself. Still worth checking for one though.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  14. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Nowhere did the original poster say they had fitted an aerial - it was already there. Also, at no point did she suggest she was trying to connect a freeview box to the satellite dish!

15. cruickville

cruickville
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks so much for all the help, didn't want to post and run. I need a bit of time to check it all out when I get home tonight. Just for clarity The aerial was already installed and I bought an aerial cable. Haven't seen the power source so will check that out. Thanks a million

16. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +963
    Nor did I.

17. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Wasn't aimed at you specifically!

18. Nathan Cooke

Nathan Cooke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    She never mention "ariel", which is washing powder. She mentioned an aerial.

19. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,351
    She did in her original post, since edited.
    And hence me putting it in quotes.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017