Have a Pioneer DVR-520 or better OR Panasonic DMR-EH95 or E500 please post..

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by JoseD, Jul 15, 2005.

1. JoseD

JoseD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    This seems to be important please read on, you'll be helping be, but most likely others too.
    I already done my homework and read a whole bunch of what video etc. reviews but there wasn't enouph info on this.
    I need to know if the adjustment of the RGB out level of the DVD recorder models mentioned in the title makes any significant difference. I know those models have it said adjustment. If you have one please try out and post.

Why.... :

From what I've read till now this can be very usefull for TVs (Expensive Plasmas included, even several new ones from posts complaining I read here) that don't offer RGB level adjustments and whose RGB inputs calibration doesn't match well the input they're using. I know my old CRT doesn't and I suppose this would be the only way to fix it without getting a new TV (getting one of these recorders or daily chaining RGB through them....)

Thank you very much :thumbsup: :smashin:

2. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Pioneer 420 is the same as 520. If you download the manual frpm Pioneer website you can read all the playback video settings (page 95).

Briefly, there are three presets: TV(CRT), PDP( TV Plasma), Professional monitors. There are additionally three user presets. For each of these you can adjust the following:
    •YNR– Adjusts the amount of noise reduction (NR) applied to the Y rightness) component.
    •CNR– Adjusts the amount of noise reduction (NR) applied to the C (colour) component.
    •QNR– Adjusts the amount of noise reduction (NR) applied to the block noise.
    •Detail– Adjusts how sharp edges appear.
    •White Level– Adjusts the intensity of white.
    •Black Level– Adjusts the intensity of black.
    •Black Setup– Corrects the standard reference black level (NTSC video only).
    •Hue– Adjusts overall balance between red and green.
    •Chroma Level– Adjusts how rich the colours appear.

Subjectively, the alterations are subtle but are noticeable. For example, on a CRT with a basically good source the 'noise' reduction seems to softens the focus slightly on maximum.

The 530/630 are slightly different; manual on the website.

Incidentally, there are also six video input presets: Tuner, VCR, Laserdisc and 3 user.