1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have £800 - want great sub - Any Advice welcome

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Dodgey, May 22, 2001.

1. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I have about £800 to spend on a new sub (of course less spent the better, but I want results!)

I currently have an AE108S which just does not cut it. I want:

1. Deep gut wrenching, clean bass.
    2. The occasional kick in the kidneys bass.

Number 1 is the most important.

Any suggestions?

I have considered the Paradigm Servo 15, M&K VX125?, REL Strata III and the Yamaha 800Watt thingy.

I really can't get demos in London so any of your feelings on these subs would be great. I included the Yamaha because it is so powerful, but I have heard little about it.

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Can't comment on any of those but you surely should audition the equipment and not just blindly trusting us.
    That said I would suggest to include Monitor Audio ASW110 (around GBP500).

3. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,493
    Dont buy anything without listening to it first, take a day trip out to somewere local it is worth it, as a sub one of us likes may not be what you wanted.

Also I was after the exact same thing, I have a REL Q100E and was not that happy with it, however after auditioning loads of new subs ( up to £1000 ) none of them gave such a big difference in quality as to warrant buying a new one.

I managed ( after about a whole morning of moving things around ) to calibrate the REL to give better quality bass.

If you really are after that kick in the gut then you probably want to go down the bass shaker route

4. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys, thanks for the input but Pleaaaaaaseeee don't tell me I need to audition. I work in Central London and after walking up Tottenham Court road I found no one who could demo anything other than 1 make / brand - which means I can't compare them.

All I want is some feedback from owners of the above mentioned subs...

5. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,660
    Dodgy, your registered email address is invalid and we're getting bounced email errors.
    Please check and update your email address in your profile.
    Thanks.

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,471
    What do you want to use your sub for?
    Mainly for home cinema, or to get some extra quality bass with your hi-fi at the cost of some slam. If the former try listing to some Velodyne subs they will pin you back in your seat and are quick ie BANG not booooooom, if the later Rell's are good.
    By the way if you have the sub near the TV make sure it's shielded. The Velodyne were the Rell's were not, this was a few years ago.
    :cool:

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Paradigm Servo 15? Currently only £500. I have had it destroying a Rel Storm I also have here.

[ 23-05-2001: Message edited by: Nic Rhodes ]

8. JDC

JDC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you looked into M&K's 1250 and Sonus Faber's Gravis? Latter typically nearer £1K, but well worth it.

9. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Why don't you see if you can locate a REL Q400e from somewhere, although the MRRP is £1000 I'm sure you could find it cheaper. It has a 400 watt RMS amplifier and is currently top of the heap as far as the HCC top 5 components list goes.
    Mark

10. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the help.

Nic, beat you to it! I bought a Servo 15 yesgerday from Richer sounds. It's 99% for Home cinema.

It seemed such good value, the reviews are all great, its a monster, and I can send it back if I'm not happy.

The icing on the cake was reading the review on this site which mentioned it being the only sub that made the reviewer feel sick and frightened to turn up full volume :)

thanks all

p.s. I'll post a reply to this thread later next week with my feedback !

11. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A bit late now.....but i was gonna say not to touch the paradigm if you are gonna use it for alot of hifi......its just too slow...but for home cinema it kicks ass!!!

oh, who said the paradigm was killing a rel storm????? I have a storm chosen over the paradigm....the storm is a far more musical sub, and if you get it tuned to yor room it can be just about as fearsome as the paradigm!!!

12. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Buns. It will be used 99.9% for movies (I don't think my neighbours deserve to be pounded by bass all the time :) )

13. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    It was me.

I am not promoting a manufacturer against a particular model from another manufacturer. (Paradign against Rel Storm). There respective ranges are huge. I am promoting the Servo15 ahead of most of the oposition like the Storm.

I have both, do you?

I think it fair to say that all the top subs are servo controlled. They have lower distortion and are faster. The Servo15 is a great introduction to the awesome power of these devices. If I had more money perhap I would choose differently (Linn £2.5k). There is a tendancy for the larger drive units to sound / come across as slower, though with servo driving (difficult to do properly by the way) they can and do sound awesome.

After many years palying with these things I have come to the conclusion that although I love the idea of a 10 inch drive unit, it just doesn't cut the mustard re performsance. Give me a large servo controlled unit every time. A view suported the majority of reviews by the way. I am advocating the Servo15 (one of the highest rated subs, regardless of the current £500 price). Just see all the independent reviews (I particularly mean the US review where there are some guys who REALLY know subs).

I do struggle with this hifi against home cinema crap. I am a died in the wool audiophile (valves and vinyl) who embrassed quality AV kit (Tag / Meridian / Lexicon etc). Quality gear can (and should) be capable of being used with both. Hence the x series controllers.

These views have come from living with devices over long periods of time. Why are you so critical of Paradigm? The servo15 has a -3db pont at 14hz.In fact it is way below my test equipment. Some thing the Storm can never achieve. The Storm is a good sub (remember I own one, bought after much auditioning).

They are both great subs, why do you want to knock one in favour of another (that you own)? I am confused.

14. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sub bass is such an emotive issue for some reason isn't it? It's also exasperating. In my lounge (Very large) my little Q50 kicked the arse of my mates Storm.
    But as soon as I moved it into my dedicated (much smaller room) it was ****e!! After much experimenting with settings/positions I added a Q200E. Still took about a month of swearing & head banging before the 'furniture
    shaking' re-appeared. as the Yanks would say, "go figure"!

15. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nic,

I am unfortunately not able to talk as the owner of both storm and servo 15. I am speaking from what was about an hour and a half testing with each sub (well a year with the storm now). When I tried them, I had no home cinema set up to consider. There was no doubt that the paradigm was a bigger sub with the attributes which follow that, but I could not get it to integrate with my front stereo pair. That was my main decision maker. I did consider the storm more musical, but then taste in music is a very personal thing. What i like, you probably wont! So I agree fully with what you say.

Further, to prove the point, I am at the point of seriously considering stereo subwoofers. Or perhaps another route, keep the storm for music, buy a servo 15 for movies, or maybe use both for movies, but only the storm for stereo. What would your opinion be? If your audiophile status is as you say, I am very happy to take your advice! Would you double up on storms, or go for a servo 15 and use it in conjunction? Also not that my room is under 20 m square, another factor that scared me away from the paradigm!

thanks

Adam

16. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Adam

Sub are notoriously difficult to get working well in rooms. As already has been posted here by others that is why a conprehensive array of knobs is always useful as is on both the Storm and Servo15. Room acoustic are terribly difficult to get right and HCC should be doing articles to help people here (Hint Steve). I have heard very few properly set up subs (mine aren't at the moment but I am getting there). It needs time.

Stereo subs are an excellent way forward. I found the light (along with a local dealer, when I pushed him to try it) a few months ago. Ideally I would have gone dual Storms (because of previous expenditure) but I could not get a second easily hence I have upgraded to dual Servo 15 and hope to possibly offset the cost by selling my Storm. If you can get a Storm to add to your existing storm, go for it. You will not regret it. Two subs really takes the peaks and troughs out of low frequency energy giving a better and more even balance. These can either be run from the 0.1 in a 5.1 (paralleled) or as L and R subs. I personally have no real preference at this stage but will experiment further.

17. dodgey2

dodgey2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Received Servo 15 today from Richer Sounds. Not good news though :(

Sub came minus the x-control box (courier suggested it may well come tomorrow under a second consignment)

Grill has two broken "lugs" and is cracked.

Anyway, I tried connecting the Sub directly to the LFE output (.1 channel) of my amp (which manual sys I can do) but the sub goes MAD!! - "burping" REAL LOUD (coke can fell off table). I have checked all setting on amp but it looks like a faulty unit.

I can disconnect the line input and the sub continues to go mad until I switch it off.

Tilting the sub can cause same effect :(

Oh well. will speak to customer service tomorrow, but I was told I had the last one when I ordered it so it looks like I'm back to square one! - plus I'll have to dick around waiting for courier to collect.

Always happens to me :(

18. dodgey2

dodgey2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK guys and gals. Got a working Servo-15 (minus control box which is coming on Tueday).

Anyway, running it without control box of course until it arrives.....

Blinking heck!!!! You really do discover new lows! I initially put the thing behind my sofa and it thumped the sh*t out of me. I then read up on sub positioning and now have it near the front of my room. Slapped on U571.....

WOW - The depth charge scene is AMAZING!!!! The explosions are really low and powerful, they move air and you can feel the really low rumble, but it's not boomy at all. Simply awesome. It took me a while to move it away from the sofa where I could feel the explosions pound me, but now I've done it, and things are more subtle and much more accurate it is simply wicked. The bass is part of the soundrack rather than a feature in itself. SO LOW!!

And so far, I have it running on one quarter power :)

I love it.

Cya