1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have £2000 to spend, rear projection or plasma

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by zerocool242001, Sep 13, 2003.

1. zerocool242001

zerocool242001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Have £2000 to spend after saving for quite a bit, question is do I go rear projection or do I go plasma. Quite like the Tosh 60 inch job or the 57 inch widescreen, not 2 sure on plasmas.

Apologies for being a lamer, but can someone or somebodys tell me the diff betweeen rear projection and plasma and if poss recommend some good plasmas for £2000.

Cheers all

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like you said, the 57WH36P is £1,718.

The only Plasma that's around £2000 is a Samsung PS42P2S. That's a 42" budget Plasma. A 50" Plasma costs £5500. Make sure you buy a widescreen display (I think that 60" RP is 4:3)

That should be a pretty obvious choice which to go for. :)

Me- I prefer RP's. ;-)

3. zerocool242001

zerocool242001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers nathan_silly, heard some horror stories about cheap plasma's, me thinks I'll b staying away from them, might even consider the TOSHIBA, 51WH36, from tvandvideodirect.com - cracking price at under £1400. Thats widescreen isn't it, sorry for the lame questions, first time into tv!!! That 57wh36p is so so tempting.

Just a quick one as well, are there any other rear projection tv makes that can compete with these new tosh's for under £2000.

Cheers m8ty

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    The plasma guys tend to hang out in that forum ... it may be an idea to seek counsel in there.

5. zerocool242001

zerocool242001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers lynx, good lad

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup, the 57WH36 is a 57" CRT Rear Projection, 100hz, with (at least) NTSC Progressive Scan. Nicam.

It's cheaper here (tvandvideodirect.com) charge quite a bit for delivery. I also haven't heard anything about tvandvideodirect.com

http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_14703.html

You could go for the 51", as it's quite a bit cheaper..

http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_14682.html

Make sure you measure out the cabinets. Not sure of any other makes that are in close competition with Tosh.

7. zerocool242001

zerocool242001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers again nathan, nice link, I take it u like the 57" better, is there quite a bit of difference between the 51 and the 57, s**t, also its for the lounge flat, true its big but just a bit concerned about wondering if too big!!! Too many choices!!!

8. zerocool242001

zerocool242001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh a quick ps, would i measure out the cabinets to make sure it fits, again apologies i am a lamoid!!

9. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would. Just try and fit the 57" into a box room! :laugh:

Check the the tvandvideodirect page- they have the dimensions in there.

Depth isn't too much of a issue- the 42" are about 45cm deep, 51" & 57" are a bit more. Mainly of course width & height- and viewing distance. How big's your room & your viewing distance?

10. zerocool242001

zerocool242001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers m8ty, will measure the room 2moz, its fair big, personally think the 51" wud do it, nice price too!!

11. modeus

modeus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking of getting the Toshiba 57WH36, although I've never had a rear projection TV before.

What would you say is the 'minimum' and 'ideal' viewing distance with this model (i.e. 57")?

12. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I certainly wouldn't rate the very cheap plasmas in terms of picture quality,and I did look at pretty much everything up to about £3.5-4K when buying my current RPTV.

Recently,RPTV's have improved immensely,and the thread below may alos be useful to you,as will a bit of advice from the plasma section here....be prepared for both sides to have their vocal protagonists...in the end,the best way is to actually go and see as many of each as possible,shortlist a few,and be sure to view them with a decent DVD player feeding it via the best input possible,with a good DVD of your choice...the shop feeds into all their TV's are generally dire,and will make even good sets look bad.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95106