1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have £1200 ish to spend on projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by MikeBB, Jun 24, 2004.

1. MikeBB

MikeBB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have approx 1,200 to spend on a projector, the room is approx 14 foot long and it will not be in black out type conditions, have read alot about the Optoma H30 and the Panny AE500, projector will mostly be used for DVD's and occasional SKY Digital output, have I got the right two selected....and which one?

Ta in advance

2. redrocket

redrocket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My room is just a bit bigger than 14ft and I want to project from one side to the other. Strangely my other half did not fancy replacing the pendant light with a box suspended from the ceiling.

Beware that many projectors have the "benefit" of a wide angle lens. The AE500 will create too large an image projected over 14ft. (Same for Sanyo Z2). I am being forced to consider the £1500 Sony HS20 to get a proper long throw lens.

3. MikeBB

MikeBB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what about the Optoma?, seems to be the one everyone is getting excited about?

** Re-measured and distance of projector form screen will be 13 foot and viewing distance approx 12

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Also look at Sanyo Z2 and consider a sub £1k PJ and Scaler like the Iscan Pro and Infocus 4800 combo!

5. MikeBB

MikeBB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thnaks for reply, do either of those offer anything significant over the Optoma?

6. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,090
  7. MikeBB

MikeBB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    would appear to be fine for the Optoma but doesbnt work for the Hitachi :( , hasn't anyoen got a good word for the Optoma, get the impression peopel are trying to steer me away from it, was looking to buy one form maybe Audiovision and one of their electric screen at half price, any comments on this?

8. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,090
    Check here for opinion on the Optoma H30 - there's a clue in the thread title :)http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127171
    I was just trying to make sure you were aware there are choices. Everyone recommends demoing, if you have the time and the access then you will make the best possible choice - but I know from personal experience that you may have neither.
    Good luck hunting!

9. MikeBB

MikeBB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Going for a demo of the h30 tomorrow :) cant wait.

Only issue i have is it might look great at demo but not so hot in my non blacked out (But dim/dark) front room environment

10. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Just a quick note to anyone who may dig this thread up in the future, that the distance calculator on the optoma h30 website only gives figures for a 4:3 ratio screen, and not a 16:9 widescreen picture. Far better and easier to use the calculator on the projectorcentral website.

11. MikeD

MikeD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Wise move, demo the H30 and make sure you have no problems with rainbows and that it is bright enough, also try to demo some other PJ's while you're there.

Make sure you get them to use full power as the H30 start up defaults to eco mode.

IMHO the H30 gives an impressive film like picture and I will be surprised if your follow up post doesent agree, I'm certainly well pleased with mine.

Regards, MikeD

12. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Should also demo the Infocus 4805 which is about 1300 but I saw the Pic quality on the weekend and I must say its amazing better, you audution for yourself