Haupphauge DEC 2000-t a few questions.

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by NoDad, Jan 3, 2004.

1. NoDad

NoDad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Well.....still building the HT. Thinking about the gear :confused:

Can't make my mind up whether to go the full HTPC route (1:1 pixel mapped to PJ) or settle for DVD player (component out) and freeview box (RGB).

If I go for the latter I rather fancy the Haupphauge DEC 2000-t because I can use it as a stand alone STB and as a computer player/recorder.

A couple of questions; does anyone know if the DEC 2000-t has RGB output on the SCART (if it does is it any good), and secondly when the DEC 2000-t is connected to the PC does it record in MPEG 2 (DVD compatible) format, which can be edited and authored to DVD for playback in a stand alone DVD player?

Help from anyone with direct experience of this STB would be greatly appreciated. :rolleyes:

2. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

Do a search (top right red button) for this STB, I had one and hated it!

There is some reading here on the forums regarding this box.

3. triplebj

triplebj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have one and it generally sux ! I got so tired of it that I bought a Nebula DigiTV PCI card - far superior !!

The software is flaky and the support non-existent !

I now use the 2000-t for casual viewing on my projector via composite, while "proper" shows and recording duties are handled by the Nebula card. The deinterlaced picture from the HTPC via VGA is of course much better than composite.

The box can be configured to output RGB on the SCART, but I have never tried. I plan to swap from composite to S-video on the SCART, since the projector RGB input is already use by the HTPC.

Also - it records the MP2 stream via the USB, so it should be possible to convert it to DVD use, just like the Nebula mp2 files.

As a matter of fact, I just got Ulead MovieFactory, so I'll be playing around with DVD creation this week......

/BJ

4. Kera

Kera

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought one to attach to my old TV with no Scart. Great picture but no sound (only interference). Swaped for replacement box and second did the same. I rang the helpline number and they answered in 2 rings !! The guy said it was a known problem affecting all units and that new software will be released in 3 weeks time. He took my email address and sent me the previous level of software that I uploaded via the Scart lead. It now works fine.

Admittedly, it has no interactive red button features (yet), but the picture on the PC via USB is good and I was impressed with their responsiveness to my enquiry.

I can't yet get the PC video recorder via USB to work with future events either.