HAUPPAUGE WinTV PVR 150 Questions...

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by m4rky, Jan 11, 2008.

1. m4rky

m4rky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi I am building myself a Windows MCE 2005 machine using my old PC.

I am thinking of getting a HAUPPAUGE WinTV PVR 150 MCE PCI TV Tuner Kit.
    This comes with a PCI TV Tuner card and a Remote Control.

1) My current video card has an s-video connector and so has the WinTV card. Which one should I connect my telly to?? Does it matter?
    2) The WinTV card info says it has hardware MPEG decoding and suggests that you can also use this when playing a DVD. Is this true??
    3) If I get a remote with the WinTV card will this do all the same functions as a normal Microsoft MCE remote?

Thanks, Mark

2. Cafe Racer

Cafe Racer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    The S-Video on the Hauppage card will be the input into the card, not the output to the TV, the graphics card output is what you'll use.

Yes, you can play DVDs with Media Center, but this has nothing to do with the Tuner Card. For playback of Live TV, Recorded TV and DVDs you'll need a software decoder. I use nVidia Purevideo, but there are a few out there (PowerDVD), you might even have one bundled with a CD/DVD Driver

I didn't think the MCE version came with a remote, but if it does I doubt it will do the same as the MCE remote.

You know the 150 is an analogue card, don't you? What source are you using it with?

3. m4rky

m4rky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Phil, thanks for the reply

There are several versions of the WinTV PVR 150.
    The standard version and the MCE Kit come with a Remote
    The MCE Package does not

...oh poo... I didn't realise it was an Analogue card... I'm after a digital one.

Is this a better option then HAUPPAUGE WinTV-NOVA-T-500 ?
    Or even the single tuner HAUPPAUGE WinTV-NOVA-T as I already have a freeview box ?

4. Cafe Racer

Cafe Racer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I would recommend you get a dual tuner card, or two cards - being able to watch one thing/record another really is the bees knees.

I'm not "big" on DVB-T cards, to be honest, but I've read the specs and the NOVA-T-500 it is a dual tuner freeview (DVB-T) PCI card. It's low-height which has got to help airflow if you have a small case.

In fact, I read up a bit more - good reviews as far as I can see:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354583

, and they're £50 on Amazon at the minute, which really seems a bargain considering what you get.

5. sniff

sniff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,

I've been using a Nova T-500 to record freeview for about 12 months now and any problems I have had have been a result of MCE, not the card.

IMO Hauppauge cards are very good (and their support) and I cannot think of a single reason why I would by two single tuners as apposed to the dual tuner nova-t-500.

If you're looking for more than a "is it any good" please say.

As for the remote you get, it's not like the true MCE remote. This kit - http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=143741 - is what you're looking for and if you sign up to this offer - http://www.avforums.com/forums/scan_offer.php - you'll get free postage from scan (I haven't looked to see if it's cheaper anywhere else).

Thanks

6. m4rky

m4rky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks for the responses.

I will wait a bit longer to get a TV Tuner card. Its not essential for me.

I am having some troubles with the Media Center playing audio and video, so need to sort these out first.

Sniff: I went and bought the Microsoft Remote and it is pretty good. Just got to replicate the functions on my Harmony Remote now :)

7. cdldt

cdldt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    If you have enough free PCI slots, I would choose a pair of Nova-t PCI (Model 909) over a single Nova-t 500. They have always been rock-solid for me, both in terms of driver stability and signal reception.