Hauppauge WinTV DVBs

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by McDuck, Dec 19, 2001.

1. McDuck

McDuck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello
    Dont know if this is realy the place to post this but here goes.

I have teh above card in my pc the problem being that i can only get a video display on a very few channels QVC is one. I cant get BBC1 to display and ITV is not even listed even when I scan for updates.
    Any body go t any ideas on how to get this thing to display BBC1?

Thanks
    Luke:confused:

2. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Unfortunately, I think that the BBC and ITV channels are encrypted :( The only way at the moment to receive them digitally via satellite is with a sky box. I assume you are pointed at the same astra satellite as a digibox would be?? If so, you should get other FTA (free to air) channels, CNN, and err, a zillion other shopping channels ;)

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Xeonic's answer sounds about right, the BBC, ITV etc on SKY digital are Free To View(FTV) not Free To Air(FTA) so they need to be run through a sky digibox with a married FTV card which you can get from the BBC for no charge if you live in the UK and have a TV license.

4. McDuck

McDuck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah I see so I can get a card reader to go with my DVBs sat card get the card from the Beeb and im away. Any idea of a phone number or contact to get a card form teh beeb? I guess then all the FTA channles will work ITV etc?

Does any body else use this DVBs card in their pc?

Thanks
    Luke

5. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, I was going to mention that point :( Sky use a "unique" encryption, videoguard(?) which is only present in their boxes - currently. If we were in france, then the satellite providers use another format (seca/irdeto), for which cards are readily available and fit in any standard box with a slot, including DVB cards like yours. But it seems the encryption itself in these isn't that brilliant, which is probably why sky used another one in the first place ;)

I read, on a sat website somewhere(!) that an italian company is thinking of producing a box with videoguard, hence allowing a sky card to be, in theory, used in that box. With your question, I think I'll try and find that article again...

So no BBC and ITV in PC for now, unless anyone knows different (and no not a analogue TV card :( ....... )

6. Pip_UK

Pip_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Using the tv card with digital Cable (NTL) via S-video onto a 15" FST screen.

The picture quality is amazing!

Pip