Hauppauge HVR900 or Nova-TD

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by ady2002, Feb 4, 2009.

1. ady2002

ady2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hey,
    Quick question looking for guidance from people who have used either one of the cards or even better both :)
    i plan to use the usb stick to watch freeview style channels (not bothered about HD (im old fashioned)) the only down fall is that it will be in a room with no aerial socket so a portable ariel will have to be used.
    Which one do you reccomend?
    also is there a recommended arial for less then £20-£25ish price.

it will be used on a
    Vista x64
    Q95500 processor
    4gb 1066mhz DDR2
    512mb 8800gt gfx
    so spec shouldnt be a problem.

or if anyone recommends a different usb stick for same kind of price i will take this into account

Thanks alot

2. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +920
    If you are having to use an interior aerial, have a look at Diversity solutions, like the Nova-DT stick. This will require two aerials a few feet apart (no point splitting one aerial to both tuners as that will stop the diversity working well), but then merges the two tuners to work together as a single tuner. I saw these going for about £30 in HMV before Christmas - they may be more expensive now.

Each tuner is fed by a separate aerial - but if one of thetuners gets an error, it checks the other tuner to see if it did, and often it didn't, so it can replace the dodgy data with good stuff! Signal quality can increase massively at low signal levels with this approach - though it takes a little bit of setting up.

I took my diversity set-up with the two little whip aerials that it came with to Stockholm on holiday, and got all the DVB-T channels (including SVT-HD) out there with no problem at all (in fact it was the identical Elgato EyeTV Diversity I bought for use on my Macbook in OSX - but that will work in Media Center in Vista and XP with Hauppauge drivers downloaded from their site, and the set-up software to switch between dual tuner and diversity modes)