hauppauge hd pvr xbox 360

Se777eN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thinkning of getting this and linking this to my laptop only thing is its pretty weak and i can't run HD videos on it just jerks about.

Anyone have this hd pvr and fill me in?

Will it be ok to run on my laptop i have a good pc down stairs but i can't link it up to my 360 from there :rolleyes:

I thinkning of getting this and linking this to my laptop only thing is its pretty weak and i can't run HD videos on it just jerks about.

Anyone have this hd pvr and fill me in?

Will it be ok to run on my laptop i have a good pc down stairs but i can't link it up to my 360 from there :rolleyes:

i think that the happauge does most of the decoding, however it would be too risky to spend £200 on it and then only run from your computer.

It's a great piece of kit and i recommend it highly. I've recorded loads of cod matches, amazing how many times you think you are spot on with your aim in a match only to see the replay and realise your aim is cack :D

I have one of these...I was just wondering if you're intending to record your Xbox output as this is all the box is good for. You can't use it as a live video device because you get quite a delay on the box.
On that note however, the box is great for recording HD content over a component cable, but can be a little quirky to get set up properly.

Not sure how quirky it is to set up really. Install the software, loop the component cables through it to your TV, turn on and connect to Laptop. It's borderline plug and play. Quality is outstanding and i'm not even using near the full quality settings.

You need a dual core with a graphics card 256MB or above. My laptop is a 2.00 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo, 2GB RAM and ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2400 card. Runs perfectly.

My later stuff on my youtube channel is done with the hauppauge.

YouTube - Ratinhoast's Channel

Thanks for the reply i have an intel celeron lmao so no chance my pc down stairs will easy run it though.

Cheers lads.

Not sure how quirky it is to set up really. Install the software, loop the component cables through it to your TV, turn on and connect to Laptop. It's borderline plug and play. Quality is outstanding and i'm not even using near the full quality settings.

You need a dual core with a graphics card 256MB or above. My laptop is a 2.00 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo, 2GB RAM and ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2400 card. Runs perfectly.

Damn that is good quality. Arrgghhh something else to spend my wage packet on. I loved making vids on pc games, its something I really miss on the 360.

So how do you record from xbox?

Do you plug the xbox into this pvr then have your TV set to your PC channel and play like that?

Ok im thinking about getting a hauppage cos i hate not recording in Hd its :censored: !!! can someone plzz tell me everythin i need to run it...oh nd will it work on a laptop with vista???

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like some help too please. I have some questions.

1. Can you give give a step-by-step summary of the process of actually recording using this device? My PC is about 3m away from my TV, is that an issue?

2. My PC runs on an Intel Core 2 CPU @ 2.13GHz. I have 3GB of RAM and 500GB of HDD space.

3. And crucially I have heard that recording a live game play session would cause a delay on screen, interrupting your gaming session. Some say you get this delay on your TV, and some say on the output on your PC. I'm slightly confused. I'm concerned that it will interrupt my gaming on the actual TV if I record it.

Last edited:

Wow! I've got to get one of these gadgets! They look fantastic mate. What sort of file sizes do you get on average with each resolution level e.g 720,1080? I must put this on my list of future purchases :cool:

I would like some help too please. I have some questions.

1. Can you give give a step-by-step summary of the process of actually recording using this device? My PC is about 3m away from my TV, is that an issue?

2. My PC runs on an Intel Core 2 CPU @ 2.13GHz. I have 3GB of RAM and 500GB of HDD space.

3. And crucially I have heard that recording a live game play session would cause a delay on screen, interrupting your gaming session. Some say you get this delay on your TV, and some say on the output on your PC. I'm slightly confused. I'm concerned that it will interrupt my gaming on the actual TV if I record it.

1. You take the component output from your xbox into the PVR and a component cable out of the PVR into your t.v. You install the included software and this video shows you the process. You will probably need to buy a USB extender as the included USB cable is pretty short.
[youtube]jTWcDMjwlmQ[/youtube]

2. Your PC should be fine.

3. There is no delay in the output to your tv at all because the PVR is used as as passthrough. But their will be a slight delay on the PC.

Hope that helps :D

Last edited:
I'm searching the net for the best price for one of these. So far the lowest price I've found is £159.99 on play. If you know of a better deal please post it here. :)

Finally bought this.

When I record in 360 (MP4) the files don't play properly in any players except the player in the bundled software. It only shows the top left corner of the video. I found others with the same problem but they didn't get an answer.

MP4 capture - Hauppauge UK Forum

I just tried recording in PS3 (M2TS). This file opens properly in vlc but the file format will not import into Sony Vegas so I can't edit the footage anyway.

Last edited:
You need to record in 720p and then Vegas will be able to read them ok.

I've tried it with a 1080 recording and Vegas won't work with them for some reason.

The MP4 problem I get as well. I can only succesfully capture in MP4 format from the composite inputs which is at 720x480. Which is a shame as being able to successfully capture HD content in MP4 would be ideal.

So I just capture my 360/PS3 in the PS3 (M2TS) format and then use the MP4 converter software that comes with it to convert straight to MP4, which doesn't take too long at all.

Hope this helps.

sorry for reviving old threads but i couldnt find any info on this, what length is the component cable that you get with this hauppauge? my computer is roughly about 4 metres away from my tv so would i be best just to get a usb extender cable? cant wait to get my hands on this piece of kit!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom