Hauppage WinTV HVR 900 on VM box

Redw28

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a USB Hauppage HVR 900 stick and I would like to use it with my VM box. I currently have a v+ in the main room and an old V box in the kids area. I want to plug it in to the kids V box bu I can't see how I could do that although I see a few threads that suggest I should be able to.

I am thinking of upgrading to a TiVo and moving the V+ to the kids area so would it be possible from that setup?

Thanks

Pete

The reason you cannot plug this USB device into a V Box (or as V+ box) is because they are totally incompatible. Why would you want to plug a tuner device into the V Box? Not sure what you were hoping to achieve. The HVR 900 stick is a device for playing normal terrestial TV on a laptop or desktop computer when connected to an external aerial. You cannot feed anything from the Virginmedia system into it, or indeed, out of it.

Last edited:
You misunderstand! I want to use the V box as the signal to the stick that is plugged into my laptop. So a feed out of the V box into the laptop, much like you would do if you plugged a standard coax from the aerial to the stick.

Then if you connect the RF output of the V box via a co-ax lead to the aerial socket of the stick you should be able to run the automatic tuning process and the stick device will find the V box 'channel'. Of course this will be a closed system so this is the only channel it will locate. You should then be able to view the result on your laptop. It will only display whatever the V box is tuned to.

Bear in mind that the V+ box if switched to HDMI mode cuts off the RF output so you cannot pick anything up. Provided you are in Standard Definition mode (Non HD) you should be OK. As far as I know the Tivo does not have an RF output.

I still don't understand why you want to use your laptop to view programmes as you implied that your offspring had a V box connected to a TV. Perhaps I'm being a bit thick.

Last edited:
Then if you connect the RF output of the V box via a co-ax lead to the aerial socket of the stick you should be able to run the automatic tuning process and the stick device will find the V box 'channel'. Of course this will be a closed system so this is the only channel it will locate. You should then be able to view the result on your laptop. It will only display whatever the V box is tuned to.

Bear in mind that the V+ box if switched to HDMI mode cuts off the RF output so you cannot pick anything up. Provided you are in Standard Definition mode (Non HD) you should be OK. As far as I know the Tivo does not have an RF output.

I still don't understand why you want to use your laptop to view programmes as you implied that your offspring had a V box connected to a TV. Perhaps I'm being a bit thick.

The V+ has no RF output and an external RF modulator is required. You connect the external RF modulator to the VCR SCART output of the V+ and you then connect the modulator to the HVR 900 stick. The VCR SCART output continues to function even when used in conjunction with HDMI.

Here is such a modulator:
ILS102 RF MODULATOR - Google Search

Last edited:
I think the OP was intending to use this set-up with a standard,not +, VM Box. As far as my memory serves this did have an RF output and you could find in the service menu what channel was being used. As you correctly say Dante he will have to use a modulator to get a signal from a V+ box via the SCART.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom