HATE to use the phrase, but newbie needs help.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by chrisjoanne, Sep 22, 2003.

1. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    On a scale of 1-10 - I'm on a 3 with the amount of knowledge I know about DVD recorders.
    My question is which recorder is best for myself.
    I would like to make back up copies of my DVD collection (only for myself) as my son damaged a recent DVD which now won't play. Thought it would a decent idea if I could then make a duplicate copy incase this happens again.
    Also would like to make copies from my analogue camcorder.
    Finally, would like to edit recorded programs from Sky etc.

Budget is around £350-£400.

Any help will be appreciated.

Is it correct to say DVD dics are only 1 hour long so therefore a direct copy of an original DVD is impossible?

Sorry, just to add my other DVD player is a Toshiba 220.

Chris

2. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Hi, chrisjoanne

Many films exceed the length of recordable DVD media so you have to edit/squash the film on a computer to fit on a single disk. This entails quality loss, general faffing about so it’s probably not what you want. Alternately you could get a DVD player that has a VCR friendly mode and just connect up the two up, press play and record onto your DVD recorder. As to the legality of making copies for your own use, up in the air at the moment but should be cleared up soon with a few test cases.

If you are using a camcorder then get a DVD recorder with digital in (firewire/ilink), as this will preserve the quality of the recordings. Panasonic Pioneer, Philips and Sony all sell models that will fit your needs. One last point to take into consideration is that your final home made DVD many not play on all DVD players due to compatibility of the different DVD recorder formats so pick on that will play on the DVD players that you are using.

Never straight forward is it…
    :confused:

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,281
    For making "backups" of your DVDs you best option is a PC based solution as there a whole host of problems/issues doing this with set-tops. It's not really an allowed topic on this forum so I suggest looking at the Digital Digest Forums. I don't have the link at hand at the moment so will post it later (or do a search for Digital Digest on a search engine).

As for editted Sky recordings and analogue copies from Camcorders (which means you don't need iLink unless it's a hyrbid camcorder) I suggest reading through the + or - thread (ignoring the quite petty arguments we have during it) and post with anymore questions you have.

4. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the replies.
    I've gone for the Philips DVDR70 DVD at £249 from Empire D.
    Not a bad price at all.
    Also purchased TDK-RW DVD's at £4.50 each. (Is that a good deal?) Really wanted Fuji but can't find them anywhere.
    Finally, Having read many articles surrounding DVD copying I can understand why this is a bit of a dodgy subject but can someone inform me if this lead will help me out.

Maplins

I believe this would work with my Toshiba 220 E. which is multi regional.

Again thanks in advance.

Chris

5. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,871
    Its not just macrovision that is the problem with DVD's but a digital copy protection called CGMS. This is called copyguard management system. It prevents digital copies.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,281
    I hope you mean you purchased "TDK DVD+RW" as DVD-RW will not record on a Philips machine (they write to the non-DVD Forum ratified format of DVD+RW/+R.

As for the lead I don't think it would help. It won't disable all the copy protection measures on the DVD and only accepts a composte feed. You may have to look for something else from places such as www.keene.co.uk

To make your DVD backups though I would seriously consider the PC route. It only costs the price of a DVD burner and is going to be much more successful than thrying to do this with set-top machines.