1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hate Sky+ what now

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Dog with 3 legs, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Dog with 3 legs

Dog with 3 legs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Never having Sky before I was tempted by the £99 Sky+ box. Having a Tivo I was used to the benefits of a PVR but hated the Sky EPG from day 1. We thought we could get used to it but one month on we still hate it (but love Sky).

Question is what do I do now. I should have just got a Sky box to go with Tivo but it is too late to send the Sky+ back to swap. I could just plug Sky+ into Tivo but I can't find any codes to change channels on Sky via Tivo.

Guess I'll have to live with Sky+ for a year and then I can sell it (I take it that my 12 month contract prevents me from doing so now).

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    You can use a Sky+ box as a normal Sky receiver if you don't pay the Sky+ subscription.

3. Dog with 3 legs

Dog with 3 legs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's fine but - and this is the big but - I don't think there are any codes that you can use with Tivo to operate the Sky+ box so I would be still stuck with the Sky EPG.

I've done a search on Sky+/Tivo codes and come up with nothing.

4. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Tivo is dead technology mate.

Sure the EPG was good, but the quality of the recordings were not broadcast quality like Sky +, There is no dual recording unlike Sky+, there is no 5.1 sound unlike Sky+.

Ok the EPG for Sky is only a weeks but is it really that bad to annoy your viewing.

TIVO is like a beetamax video , good at the time but overtaking with other advancements. In the UK it stagnated unlike the USA where it has grown and developed.

5. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,883
    What do you find so bad about the Sky EPG?
    IMHO it's so easy to use and user-friendly.

6. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    TIVO did quite complicated series links unlike Sky+ and it also could use an intelligent system which could tell what sort of programme you like and it would tape them for you. Say you wanted all things taped which starred Audrey Tatou (yum yum :devil: ) TIVO would do this as soon as you set it up.
    It was a brilliant EPG with TIVO and it is a shame Sky's isnt as good but it is still easy to use.

7. Dog with 3 legs

Dog with 3 legs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm missing something here or I am being very petty or am just too reluctant to change.

It would be great if someone shows me the error of my ways.

With Tivo you can select the EPG over a program you are watching AND you get to see several hours programs in one screen. Sky+ will show you first few letters of the program so it may say "The life of ......." with the rest blocked out by the next program, you then have to press i to get the full title. The series link is seriously flawed in that there isn't always the option to set one up.

The broadcast quality recordings would be great if the broadcast wasn't seriously compromised by the level of compression in the first place which on some occasions results in a Tivo recording off Freeview being better than a Sky+ broadcast live.

Tivo boxes are still fetching silly money (more than I paid for mine several years ago) probably because of the level of functionality you get with Tivo.

One interesting point is that most people who see my Sky+ set up think it is great and easy to use. Show them Tivo and they say it is ever so complicated. Looks like Sky have got it right in dumbing down the PVR functionality. Not sure what that says about me. :suicide:

8. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I would add recordings on Sky+ are of broadcast quality and there is a drop with TIVO. You may not notice that much on a smaller TV but on a LCD or a plasma above 37 inches you will.
    TIVO is good if you have Cable (why?? it trully is an awful service) as it gives you the option to record and also from council tv (terrestial), but Sky+ is simple to use.
    You really are being picky when you are complaining about having to press the i button. :D

9. sdc395

sdc395
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh my God! You think having Sky is a status symbol! Have you got one of those custom Sky+ boxes to match your Burberry cap?

10. The Hemulen

The Hemulen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Agreed, this is a really stupid 'feature' of the Sky EPG. With my Humax PVR (Freeview) you sometimes get the same 'part of a word' showing in the grid but look above and a full width line of text shows the complete program name for where the cursor is at. No need to press i and cancel each time. Simple and effective.

11. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    It's also annoying that you can press the i button whilst scrolling through the channels using the right cursor keys - the i button only shows info about the currently tuned in channel. You have to go into the program guide to see the other channel information (or go to that channel)

12. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    SDC Sky + as a status symbol :D

Me in a burberry cap! :rotfl:

The term council Tv is used in Glasgow as terminology for people who don't have either Sky/Cable or freeview..

13. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I agree with John G on the i button and having to go into the EPG to check other programmes which are not on at that moment. This is my main annoyance with Sky and it is about time they got it sorted.

14. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    That's my biggest gripe with the system too..!!

15. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

TIVO can control a SKY+, the software was updated for that purpose around 3 years ago. The actually codes/procedure required is something I am unaware of (not a TIVO owner) but you should find what you are after over at the UK TIVO community forums.

16. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Since the extended EPG data accessed with the "i" key is spread across hundreds of channels and is controlled by individual broadcasters it is virtually impossible to compile this data accurately and in realtime to make it useable for SKY+ let alone a standard digibox.
    The SKY+ system could I assume have been created to cache EPG data more effectively but you would still be left with the data spread all over the place and pressing "i" would either give you nothing or out of date information.
    Using the second tuner to select the EPG channel and then pull selective data to meet the "i" button request would be possible but considering the complexities if the tuner is already recording and if so the primary tuner would have to change channels you would be left more or less with what we have now.

17. sdc395

sdc395
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How strange. :confused:

18. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sky EPG is definitely LEGOtastic. ie. Fugly as hell. Bit of a face lift wouldn't harm matters. Plus it runs like a bit of a dog. Looks like it uploads the info every time you press i. Have they never heard of memory and caching? And whats with all the wasted space? You could fit in 4 times the info with a smaller font. Do they think everyone uses teletext on huge mode or something? At least an option for font size would be good.

Cheers

19. ReHaBWales

ReHaBWales
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hate the $ky EPG with a passion. As a tivo owner I know what a really good EPG can be like and it's a pity that Sky can't at least try and do something the same. Sky's EPG looks dated and chugs along like a old steam roller. It really is it's only let down.

I agree with the OP that seeing the first few words of a particular program is no good. We need a fully searchable system that can remember your favourites and has proper series linking.

20. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The entire system that drives the TIVO OS and Listings is patented technology which is why SKY and other DVR/DTR providers have had to come up with less than perfect alternatives to achieve a similar result and in some cases not to include a feature altogether.

21. Michael Scholes

Michael Scholes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

My TiVo uses code 20017slow to control my Sky + box (select SKY DIGTAL as the make in the "Set-Top Box Control" option from within the "Recorder & Phone Setup" menu.