Hate BT

BluWarfareHD09

Moved house mid july and subscribed to BT Broadband and phone, at the time of arranging the date we told them we wanted to do the line renter saver and they told us the best option was to wait for the line and broadband to be installed and then ring them for the line rent saver as if not we would lose a month as the could come for a month roughly.

So the guy come's install's it, test's it, and goes we ring them and say right we have just had your engineer come in and install line now we want to take line renter saver like we were told we could, guy says ok wait a minute whle we do something( some kind of test or something cant remeber what he said), comes back and says sorry we have you as not being connect leave it 48hr and ring back and we will do it. 48 hr ring them back to be told that the months line rental had been taken out but they would give us line rental saver from next month so with that thought nothing of it. Got the bank statement the other day and they have been charging us the full line rental.

So instead of only paying £38 a month we have been paying £42 as line rental is nearly £14 a month without the saver. I'm so annoyed about this and I need to back track my statements to see if they took the £120, as we have had no paper bill from them and they told us that you dont get paper bill if your on the saver.

Have you guys had any problems like this and what do you think I should do ring and complain if they have taken the £120 or just ring up and take the line rental saver in the new year if they havn't taken it or ring and complain anyway as if I had taken it when I rang to book no of this would have happened.

deathtrap3000

Novice Member
I only called them yesterday about being on standard line rental instead of line rental saver. Ive been over charged since may I think despite paying the £120 one-off payment. They agreed to credit my account with what I had been overcharged. I have to wait until my current contract is up before I can be put back on the line rental saver.

BluWarfareHD09

Broadband aswell. Phone and broadband £28 line+line rental which is about £13.90, that's why I wanted the line retal saver as you get the line rental at £10 making it £38. For that £28 I get unlimited bandwidth,20mb connection, up to an hour free then you put your phone down call back again and some other stuff cant remember at the moment.

Toasty

Distinguished Member
I had a battle with bt for my mum, she was paying over the odds for her usage. But she now pays under £30 a month for bb, anytime phone calls and line rental.

This include a fiver discount, so I still think bt are expensive compared to other suppliers but how come you're paying over 40 quid unless you have a TV package too?

Toasty

Distinguished Member
Ah, ok, my mum is second one down 10Gb cap. Jeez, you pay a lot for unlimited on bt, look to move when your contract is up.

D

Deleted member 92943

Im planning to go with BT for Infinity and pay £120 upfront for the cheaper line rental. Im not actually moving into my flat now for another month. Am i better placing my order in now with them to get installed in a few weeks or wait until i'm moved in.

Im a little worried now going by the OP's story :s

BluWarfareHD09

Where I live there is no Virgin media, and from what I've seen BT is fastest next from Virgin

Miss Chief

Sky can do you Line Rental (£12.25), Anytime calls (£5) and Broadband unlimited (£7.50) without being a Sky Tv customer. You'll need to be in a Sky network area of course to get unlimited BB but £42 per month is crazy and can easily be brought down by moving supplier.

BluWarfareHD09

Depends on actual connection speed, also BT is launching infinity in my area by the end of next year so will be able to upgrade connection to 40mb for no extra, apart from that im in a 18month contract now. But supose you could argue that they voided it as they didnt fulfil what we agreed to :dunno:

krish

Distinguished Member
Sky can do you Line Rental (£12.25), Anytime calls (£5) and Broadband unlimited (£7.50) without being a Sky Tv customer. You'll need to be in a Sky network area of course to get unlimited BB but £42 per month is crazy and can easily be brought down by moving supplier.
or ...
Am on Sky broadband unlimited with Sky Talk Freetime (for a £5 discount on the broadband) and BT line rental ... so have phoned Sky twice since the weekend (on 020 7126 7020) asking what they could possibly offer me to go with them for line rental --- which was bugger all in my view (half price something or other, which I don't need or want, for 3 months)
- so I just phoned BT (0800 800 150) saying I was unhappy with their price hike and end of the paper-free rebate, and will be switching to Sky for line rental unless they can beat their price, and was offered £11.60 monthly line rental for 12 months ... took it.
You can also pay BT £120 in advance for a year's line rental, which is good value at the equivalent of £10pm.

I did this recently when I moved to BT to get Infinity.
Yup, but for those like me who use Sky for calls (and BT just for the line rental), there is a further charge:
Line Rental Saver

Available to BT Calling Plan customers paying £120 for 12 months in advance by debit/credit card – equivalent to £10 a month. Any additional charges to be paid by Direct Debit with e-billing. At least two BT calls must be made per month or six BT calls per quarter to avoid a monthly charge of £1.50 or a quarterly charge of £4.50 being added to your bill. If you cancel Line Rental Saver within seven working days of your order you will get a full refund of your advance payment to the debit or credit card you paid with. Otherwise the advance payment is non-refundable. Exclusions and conditions apply.
so for me that would effectively make it £11.50/month, saving me £1.20 over the whole year - not really a saving at all as it's cancelled out by the equivalent interest ... so pretty much the same deal for me, and I prefer the option of not paying upfront :)

Also, for others fully on BT for both rental and calls, this is a bare bones tariff - no evening and weekend free calls, which the free Sky Talk option gives me (as well as taking £5/month off their unlimited broadband charge).

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom