1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hasstled by the wife...HELP!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by BigScreenAl, Feb 16, 2005.

1. BigScreenAl

BigScreenAl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    An easy question for the experts:

I have just purchased a DVD recorder and need some help with the connections.
    The wife is hastling me everytime I try and set things up correclty so I need to know exactly what to do next time I get half an hour when she isn't watching the TV.
    I managed to get everything connected up last night (in a rush). Did a quick auto tune on the DVD recorder which picked up SKY but when setting the TV to AV2 (DVD recorder) the picture wasn't as sharp as AV1 (SKY).

Anyway here is the connection info:
    Think I'm okay with RF connections (SKY RF in to SKY, RF out to DVDR, DVDR out to TV)
    Can someone check the below to see if it's okay:

SKY(scart1) -> TV (AV1)
    SKY(scart2) -> DVDR(scart1)
    DVDR(scart2) -> TV (AV2)
    DVD -> TV(component AV4)

Help much appreciated to save me greif when I get home, also note I have to wait until my little boy is in bed before I can start!!

P.S Equipment can be seen below.

2. ReggieDaMole

ReggieDaMole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I feel for you dude..... women eh?? They just don't understand our need to fiddle with the AV equipment...

On another note why are you using RF connections?

All channels are on SKY so why use old style ariel connections?

Scart connections look fine to me. If you swap AV1 and AV2 connections round at TV does it look worse with DVR into AV1?

3. andyAV

andyAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky scart 2 only puts out composite and svideo (IIRC) and NOT RGB. Scart 1 on the other hand outputs RGB. Therefore feed of Sky via DVDR is not RGB but one of the not quite so good video modes.

Andy

4. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Why do you need to connect your dvd to your tv via scart and component? :confused:

EDIT: unless you have 2 dvd players?

I have the same problem with the single RGB out on my NTL digital box. I assume that you want to connect your box straight to the tv for the RGB picture, but you also want to record an RGB signal for the best possible recordings. Then you want to watch dvds via component and prog scan. The best solution, imo, is to connect the RGB out of the Sky box into your dvd recorder, then connect your dvd recorder to your tv via component/RGB scart. Then have the 2nd scart connected to your tv via it's scart 2.

Sky scart 1 (RGB) >> DVDR >> tv scart 1.

Sky scart 2 (standard) >> tv scart 2.

2nd dvd component >> tv.

5. BigScreenAl

BigScreenAl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not connecting via scart AND and component, I have a dvd player (component to TV) and a DVD recorder (SCART).

Is this the way to connect the DVD recorder and SKY?

Connect SKY's TV(RGB) scart to the Recorders Sat/Decoder scart input and the Recorders Scart output to the Tv's RGB scart input.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Composite only mate from SKY and SKy+ VCR whcih wont look as good as RGB SKY>DVDR>TV should with DVD off(standby) look as good.....make sure set to RGB in on DVDR as RGB uses compoiste on scart as sync and PUT RGB into a scart socket you get a picture (the composite one...make sense?)

7. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    had re-read your post and edited. Just out of interest, what are the 2 dvd players you have?

IMO, you should connect SKY RGB scart 1 >> DVDR >> tv scart 1.

SKY scart 2 >> tv scart 2.

2nd dvd component >> component on tv.

The other way round compromises recording quality, and in my experience there are no problems watching tv signals that go through the dvdr first.

8. BigScreenAl

BigScreenAl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice,
    My two DVD players are:

Pioneer DV-668AV-S and Pioneer DVR-520H-S

Pioneer manual shows the connection setup but not using scarts, think the manual is a direct US copy where i guess they don't use scarts?