has your taste in games changed as you get older ?

tim68

hi all

just curious, has your taste in games changed as you get older ?

when I first started playing games, the only type I ever played were sports and racing, I wouldn't touch anything else

now though a little or a lot older I like good solid story games like the telltale games, and games from Naughty Dog Studios (Drake/ The Last of Us). Also loved the reboot Tomb Raider. and the whole Assassins Creed games

Looking forward to trying out Fall Out 4 and the Witcher 3 for my first taste of RPG games.

Tim

tim68

sorry mods done it again. could you move it to the general PS4 forum please. thanks very much

raduv1

Distinguished Member
Yup mine has but only in the fact that I don't play MP
Much as I used to. That said I'm getting SWBF but only for the nerd factor of it :).

Last edited:

kav

Distinguished Member
My tastes have expanded, but I also still love the stuff I always loved. Once upon a time if it didn't have guns and killing in it, I wasn't interested. At other points all I was into were platformers. Then racing games. Gradually my tastes expanded and now I enjoy loads of different kinds of games, whether on PC, mobile, handheld or console. There aren't enough hours in the day for all the games I would like to play.

Houghsx

Distinguished Member
The biggest thing that's changed is actual time to play and the sheer amount that's available these days.

xar

The biggest thing that's changed is actual time to play and the sheer amount that's available these days.
Agreed. I was an avid multi platform gamer for 20 plus years, then kids came along, time disappeared, as did the gaming. PS4 is the only one getting some action these days, and even then the games I used to love I have little appetite for. I was a hardcore FPS player (am reasonably sure I played 95% of all of them up until 2010 or so), also enjoyed skyrim/fallout adventure types, all the GTAs, all the tomb raiders/uncharted etc, few racers, not so much sports. The big change these days is that the FPS shooters are mostly derivative crap (looking at you COD), I haven't the time to get into proper adventures (last of us, witcher, GTA V all in my possession and no more than 5% complete), so I am left playing 'instant gratification' games such as shadow of mordor and hopefully the upcoming just cause 3. I have tried getting into driveclub but i don't seem to actually care.

So the short answer is that unless I came have instant fun for 30 mins or less it is out these days!

raduv1

Distinguished Member
Agree with the last couple of posts that time , work/family etc does change your gaming habits. I used to play a lot more when I was just a PC gaming as I was shut off from what the wife was watching on tv. Console gaming is a harder prospect as only having one TV+home cinema where I want to play my games now.

one of the reasons I'm looking forward to PSVR as she can watch her crap and I might get more gaming .

shaolin kid

So this is more a tale of men losing their free time than gaming habits :) I myself am very very lucky that my wife loves her free time and encourages me to play......that's love

raduv1

Distinguished Member
So this is more a tale of men losing their free time than gaming habits :) I myself am very very lucky that my wife loves her free time and encourages me to play......that's love

My wife' encourages me to play.......thats sex ;) can i play with myself don't go down well my end. Oops missus :D.

Houghsx

Distinguished Member
Agreed. I was an avid multi platform gamer for 20 plus years, then kids came along, time disappeared, as did the gaming. PS4 is the only one getting some action these days, and even then the games I used to love I have little appetite for. I was a hardcore FPS player (am reasonably sure I played 95% of all of them up until 2010 or so), also enjoyed skyrim/fallout adventure types, all the GTAs, all the tomb raiders/uncharted etc, few racers, not so much sports. The big change these days is that the FPS shooters are mostly derivative crap (looking at you COD), I haven't the time to get into proper adventures (last of us, witcher, GTA V all in my possession and no more than 5% complete), so I am left playing 'instant gratification' games such as shadow of mordor and hopefully the upcoming just cause 3. I have tried getting into driveclub but i don't seem to actually care.

So the short answer is that unless I came have instant fun for 30 mins or less it is out these days!

Couldn't agree more with FPS, I love them but that just don't grab me in the same way these days. The new Halo 5 is exactly the same, it doesn't draw me in. Its ok but I found myself getting distracted to easily. I find I am enjoying the telltale games, life is strange and Until Dawn (which was awesome) type games these days.

raduv1

Distinguished Member

addyb

Distinguished Member
My taste in games hasn't changed much. I like pretty much all genre's these days. Just depends what I'm in the mood for. This changes daily lol.

Stinja

I've moved thru 2D platformers; sp FPS; Fight Sims; pvp FPS and 3rdPS; strategy games... and most i just don't care for anymore.

I'm looking forwards to VR space sims, i still enjoy RPGs mostly, and well into twin-stick shooters and stealth games, and weird indie stuff.

Mostly i think i'm too old, and can't be bothered with a "new" game i've essentially played numerous times before. A game with good mechanics is more a draw now, as good story/AI/characterisation still seems hard for devs to do: so i will overlook "bad" graphics, or other issues if a game's mechanics are fresh.
I just want games with some actually new in them; or perfectly nailing existing concepts.

ron swanson

My gaming has changed for sure, for starters these days I'm a lot more picky with games. Multiplayer elements of games are somthing I very rarely bother with these days, mainly due to time. I would sooner see all of the single player elements of a game. This means games like COD are wasted on me really but to be fair they stopped appealing to me a little while ago.

When I was younger I used to spend most of my freetime playing starcraft, warcraft, team fortress classic, unreal tournament online. This list goes on.

These days firing up multiplayer generally means I'm going to get battered at whatever game I'm playing. I'm on slightly more even footing with somthing like street fighter but I'm nowhere up to the level I used to be!

These days I generally look for a strong single player game that is going to last me for a bit. I managed to take nearly 2 months for finish MGS5 for instance. RPGs are somthing that are generally reserved for the xmas break otherwise I might end up missing out on a lot of side quests and the like.

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
I wouldn't say so. Gaming has moved on, but essentially I still love games that meet the same needs. I've always loved racing games, sports games and games which involve shooting things. Back in the day that was outrun, kick off 2 and r-type. These days that's Drive Club, Pro Evo and Halo. I've always enjoyed the escapism provided through a good rpg and that's been the case whether I was playing an old text based adventure, the Bards Tale, Zelda or The Witcher 3.

My gaming needs are still the same, it's just that the ways that developers are able to meet them, has changed/improved.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
My early gaming was Lemmings, Prince of Persia, Flashback (PC platformer) and the game that I believe has formed my gaming since then, Wolfenstein 3d.

I remember when I first booted it up I didn't know what it was. For about the first few times I didn't even know what to do. Took me ages to work out how to get out of the prison cell. But it was an experience that shaped my love for FPS. Through Wolfenstein, Doom, Quake, Unreal Tournament, Medal of Honour, Call of Duty, Half Life, Battlefield, Halo etc...and many more.

And it is still solidly my favourite genre. So from that respect I don't think my habits have changed that much. I play more competitive MP than I used to. Mainly because since moving to console on the 360 from several years of lapsed PC gaming, I found I could do better with a controller than a mouse and keyboard in the MP realm. I used to have LAN parties playing counter strike and UT and Quake at uni and whilst they were huge fun I always got smashed.

I think the main area my taste has changed is that I enjoy SP a lot less than MP now.

bandyka

My favorites are still the oldies style Red Alert, Gran Turismo, Half Life and Fallout (and the ones iwb100 mentioned). Nothing changed for me still playing the same style except not much racing anymore, I do that for real. Not a big fan of MP games. Just hooked up the PS4 controller to the PC for the ultimate experience for Fallout 4 which I am getting in a couple of hours can't wait, told wife to forget me for a few days. Feel like a kid again!

DAZ UK 74

Distinguished Member
Gaming since in single digits age wise and now in my early 40's my taste has changed a lot.

In my youth I wouldn't even look at a simulator type of game but now I am drawn towards them like a moth to a light.

When I played the first Elite game I was a young en and was only interested in fighting everything that moved. Now I have Elite Dangerous and fighting holds no interest to me. I am happy trucking parcels around the universe :).

bandyka

C-16 and C64 were the best followed by the Amiga.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
I do think there is an interesting split between people who grew up on console gaming and those who grew up using a PC (or PC like device). I never really had a console as a kid because we only had one telly and therefore I'd never have really got to use it.

I think that gives you a very different gaming perspective. I always invert my look controls for example. And beyond the odd sonic title I played I've not really played classic console platformers. Never played a mario game.

Stinja

Maybe. I came from ZX81 -> VIC20 -> C64 -> PC and only ever inverted for flight games (XWING vs mother-f**king TIE :lesson: ) and hate inverted for anything else.

Sadly the main reason i no longer PC is KB&M is due to RSI... or whatever it's called nowadays.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

Falcon Acoustics launches Q7 speaker kit
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Polk launches React soundbar with Alexa
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Dolby honoured by National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences
  • By Andy Bassett