1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has your journey ended?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Stonedragon, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :D :D :D :D Sorry I cant stop grinning like the cat thats just got the cream :D :D No, STOP!!!

Okay I'm over it now. You see, I got my 850 this weekend and to say that I'm pleased is an understatement. But having got it now, I was reflecting on how I arrived at where I am and I was wondering how all you other bass-aholics arrived at the 'end of the rainbow' as it were.

So I have a couple of questions for all bass-aholics:

1. What have you've got that has killed all urges to upgrade?
    2. How long has you journey been - ie what did you buy along the way to get to the end of the road?
    3. How much did your journey cost.

My answers to the questions are as follows:

1. ASW850 :rotfl: :rotfl: :clap: :D
    2. I started about a year and half ago. First off was when I got my plasma and I bought a cheapo one box solution from Curry's for £90 :suicide: But compared to what I was used too, it was a revelation (okay, dont laugh). Then I thought okay that was brill, but after 3 months I wanted more. So next stop was another one box solution, this time from Sony. That was £300 and again I thought I was there :suicide: But I noticed to get anything I had to max it out all the time. Next was the vibe Zeta. Again a massive improvement, but over time you begin to get a feeling (almost a preminition) that all is not well. That 'mistake' cost me dearly and I thought I could add more to the sound by getting another one :suicide: But it didn't help one bit. Then after coming across this forum I toyed with the idea of a SVS but didn't fancy the import route. Finally I narrowed things down to the PV1, 750 and of course the 850. My reason for getting the 850 was as I said before, to stop any upgrade-itis urges. And boy am I happy. Not only am I pleased that I've got a product second to none, but there is something good knowing that you are in a very select company with the best on offer on the planet!!
    3. Total cost to end my journey:
    Currys one box offer £90+
    Sony offering £300+
    Vibe Zeta £600+
    Second Vibe Zeta £300+
    ASW850 £1900 :smashin: :thumbsup:
    Total price to reach sub heaven =£2890 (I hope my missus dosen't read this thread :devil: )

Of course you may still be on your personal journey, so if your are, where would you like it to end?

2. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +723
    1) SVS PC Ultra
    2) small Yamaha sub (about 200 squid) about 10 years ago, then a KEF30B,
    then a REL Storm, then 2 KEF45B's.... and finally the monster SVS PC Ultra.

I can't ever imaging the PC Ultra being ousted for something better.... it surely isn't possible !?

3) Too much! Probably around 3500 - 4000 squids over 10 years.

3. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,987
    Still looking and subless at the moment (not too bad the mackies i have go to 40hz) but i am busy saving for the last subwoofer purchase ever!
    Started with a storm mk1, a few other storms followed, then a Velo CHT15, a SVS PC+, then two Servo 15's, then a single servo 15, now subless.
    Subs on the list DD15/18, two PB12 ultra/2, or a B4.

4. sparkymarky

sparkymarky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    straight to a servo 15 from no sub at all. This doesnt really let me appreciate how good the servo is as i have nothing to compare it to but i know that it sounds fantastic and i know how well thought of it is on here.

Will prob change to plasma though in future as the sony is quite bulky and it doesnt have componant.

will upgrade speakers too in future but happy with them for av not so good for music.

Happy and will not upgrade the cheapo dvd though nor will i upgrade the amp. Both these suit me fine.

5. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    No matter how good a sub is, it is only as good as the room, other equipment and the setup allow it. So the journey continues, the sub isn't the destination it's simply a vehicle to get you there.

6. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Yamaha sw80----Rel Q150----Svs pb2+------Svs pb2+ with Svs 25-31+ :cool:
    Next upgrades will have to be major ones, something like a couple of svs pb2 ultras or svs B4+ or velo dd18. The velo would be lovely, svs subs are great for the money but I have to aspire to something as nice looking and expensive as the velodyne!
    Of course, I will have to see what Svs develop next, could be interesting projects in the pipeline.

7. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Yammy Sw 100/ 2yrs
    Rel Storm/ 10yrs
    B&W Asw 850/ Period!!!!! :D

Regards Dan

8. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    My first system for watching movies was a stereo setup, using a Sherwood amplifier connected to some Eltax Symphony 6 speakers, which went down quite low, about 37Hz I believe.

I then moved to an all in one speaker system, the Videologic Digitheatre DTS, this is still in the family as I gave it to my brother, was a great piece of kit for the time, and outperformed many seperates systems twice its price. I bought it for £350.

I wanted a bit more oomph though, and the amp in the Digitheatre DTS was not powerful enough to drive larger speakers. So after about 3 years with the Digitheatre DTS, I bought my first seperates AV system. The choice was between a Marantz SR4300 and a Denon 1803, I opted for the Marantz due to its musicality in comparison to the Denon. I bought an Eltax Millenium centre, and two millenium rears. The biggest mistake in the purchase of an Eltax Sub-10 subwoofer, it boomed a lot, and didn't do much else. Not bad as a first subwoofer, and was fairly well built, but not in the same league as more quality gear.

I upgraded the speakers to Mordaunt Short MS914's 18 months later, and an MS905C centre. I then bought the KEF PSW2500 for subwoofer duties, which was a HUGE improvement over the Eltax sub.

I wanted more though :devil:

So about 9 months later upgraded to the SVS PC Ultra, and haven't looked back, I have also upgraded the rear speakers to MS903S bipolars and then to the THX certified MS504 dipolars, the fronts are now all Quads and I believe I do not need to upgrade anything soundwise, as I'm happy with the Marantz SR7400 I upgraded to as well.

The only weak area in my setup may be the screen, as I am not making use of the HDMI facility in my DVD player, so the screen may be the next thing to be upgraded, but, once that is done, I don't think I'll be getting anything new for a LONG while :D (apart from the obligatory projector for the dedicated room :devil: )

All in all, it's taken about 7-8 years to get to this level, from the stereo set up to today.

EDIT: :oops: just realised this was just about subwoofers :rolleyes: :suicide:

9. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,151
    Started with a Paradigm PDR10 which did the low stuff for 4x Rogers Db101's and a Mission 77C1. Later the Rogers left for more Missions- the PDR10 stayed.

When I moved over to MS I changed the PDR for a borrowed MS907.

Then I had an MS THX pack and used the internal 150 watters- joined the forum at this point.

Returned the THX pack and bought my current setup that to begin with had 2x MS909's. For the sake of a happy and fufilling domestic life, 909 number 2 was sold off.

So I have one MS 909 and don't feel shortchanged- my expenditure has been negligable all the way through. Genies arriving in December but I'm sticking with the 909 unless I get to keep the beastie I have at home at the moment (which I doubt). Did somebody say PV1? :devil:.

10. jeff-o

jeff-o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My journey began with a Marantz SR5400 and a pair of Paradigm 5se speakers that my parents traded me for some mini system speakers (they wanted smaller speakers, I wanted better ones, I think I won). The next thing I bought was a centre channel speaker, an Angstrom Omega II series. After that the rear surrounds, a pair of Paradigm Atoms. Finally, the showpiece of my setup arrived, a Paradigm PW-2100 subwoofer! While not the largest sub you can get by any means, it's bigger than anything anyone I know owns, which makes me the unofficial bass king. ;) I don't think it will be replaced any time soon.

As a side note, my centre channel was recently stolen, and I replaced it with a Paradigm CC-370. I find it sounds much warmer than the Angstrom, which I prefer.

So what's next? I imagine I'll get around to adding a sixth speaker in the back, but finding a single Atom may be tricky since they're normally sold in pairs. After that, perhaps the mains will be replaced as well.....

11. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    1. SVS PB2+. Best upgrade I can ever possibly imagine making. If someone gave me twenty grand now I don't even think I could find something that gave me as much of a jump as I got with this :eek: . I honestly cannot possibly imagine wanting more, ever, unless you are my wife; in which case I reserve the right to have something else very soon :D
    2. Went from having a Hi-Fi set up with Nad 370 driving just some Kef 35.2s, to adding some Mission rears and a denon av amp and an MJ Acoustics Pro 100 sub (which I've still got gathering dust in case anyone is interested btw :) ), then :clap: straight to the SVS.
    3. On subs, about £1,600, and no plans on any more ;)

12. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Hmm....

Started with no sub.. then a small cheap Yamaha ~£100.
    Moved up to a Gallo MPS-150 (~£500) about 2 years ago.. and now looking at going to a Velodyne CHT-12R.

Cannot see me spending any more on a sub in the near future..

Matt

13. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Thanks to all on here I jumped in with a Servo15 as my first sub - second hand for £350. I'd originally considered cheapo Eltax subs to go with my main speakers and then possibly an REL Quake. But then the Servo popped up in the classifieds with my name on it. Hehe.

It's sub heaven for me as I don't think I will get anything worth upgrading to for less than a grand.

So I'm as happy as a pig in poo. Just need to get the rest of my kit sorted to take full advantage of it.

Chris

14. Kefmad Rich

Kefmad Rich
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,

1. DD-15 :D

2. Started off with CHT-15 . Loved it at first but was hard to set up in my room as it boomed at certain frequencies.I considered buying external eq unit but heard a demo of a DD series sub and was overwhelmed.Got a great trade in on my old sub and the rest is history. Love it to bits. :clap:

3. CHT-15 £700, DD-15 in black £2800 :eek:

I can upgrade via downloads so can,t see me ever buying another sub, especially as I,m now skint :rolleyes:

Richie