1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has the Panasonic S97 been discontinued?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DavidW, Jun 27, 2005.

1. DavidW

DavidW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies if I've missed this news on one of the threads, but I've just had to cancel my order for one of these HDMI players for the third time. The guy on the other end of the phone told me that Panasonic has discontinued the S97, which seems to be backed up by the fact that I can't get one from anywhere.

Does anybody know anything about this? Is Panasonic bringing something newer out, or should I just wait for November and for Sony to bring out the next decently priced HDMI player?

2. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I beleive it is end-of-line, or at least thats the impression I got while trying to pick one up recently.

Richer Sounds still had them a few weeks ago though.

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    The fact that Richer are now shifting them may suggest they are reaching end-of-line status.

Samsung is always an option for a cheap HDMI capable player.

..PJ :)

4. Steve Rollings

Steve Rollings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apparently Panasonic are waiting to release a recorder with HDMI out (or so I was told by a Panasonic@shop employee). www.ivojo.co.uk have them

5. DavidW

DavidW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks the info. Can't believe Panasonic could have moved onto something else so quickly... I guess I'll go and take a look at the Samsung. :rolleyes:

6. cmcg55

cmcg55
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think they've officially called time on it yet, but I think the DVD-S77 replaces it in their range. The two models are probably 95% the same box with the same capabilities. The S-77 though is retailing for $50 less than the S-97 was. Also read somewhere (but can't confirm) that the S-77 dropped DVD-A/HDCD capabilities. Maybe that's where they found the $50 saving - the "super CDs" just haven't grabbed the public's imagination, and it seems a few manufacturers are now no longer considering them essential kit, at least not on the lower end of the price scale.

However... if you can find 'em, there's great deals now to be had on the S-97s. Find an ex-display unit (better than ex-demo, 'cause it's unused). I found one last night, and knowing the situation with the S-77, I managed to pick it up for an absolute song - $250 including tax AND a four year warranty.

That should tide me over until the BluRay vs HD-DVD stuff is sorted out and the (always crappy and overpriced) first-release units are superseded by the second generation (when they technology gets itself together and the price gets reasonable). In the meantime, can't say fairer than $250 for an HDMI-capable box that'll probably end up having a second-life as a bedroom DVD player as well!

7. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Here is a link to a DVD news site. It goes into some detail about the S77 including the fact it does support DVD Audio (Panasonic have championed this format as they have DVD Ram for a long time) as well as HDCD. Panasonic do turn their models around quickly, and different regions do get differing models and specifications. However the S77 seems to have all the things Panasonic enthusiasts like just as the S97 did.

8. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,838
    It's not unusual for Panasonic. Models are usually replaced after 6 months or so. Sony are just as bad. I have seen some Sony model get replaced just after a few months.

9. DavidW

DavidW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find that amazing. I mean, do features go out of date so quick, or is it just to induce a sense of change to encourage us to change our players regularly? And do we just feel this in the UK, which seems to lag behind the US in getting the newer models. For example, Pannasonic still have the S97 on their UK website, but there's no sign of the S77 which is there on the .com site.

10. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,838
    I bought the Sony NS585 DVD player late last year which has been replaced by the NS52 for some time. The spec is exactly the same except for a difference in button size on the front. I prefer the look of my 585.

Panasonic usually makes a new model different somehow.

11. msg

msg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I presume S77 not available in UK yet.

If I go for S97, anyone know if it outputs 768P?

Thanks

12. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    S97 is a good budget entry into HDMI, and I am well pleased with the player, but to be honest at the price at launch and subsequent price drops I feared for its lifespan.
    I bought it as an entry into this market (as I outlayed alot on a plasma), and expected to upgrade in a couple of years anyway. Its convinced me that the HDMI format is the way forward, but to be honest I think Panasonic were just testing the waters, and by all accounts the budget player has been a huge success on both sides of the Atlantic.
    rather outlay £200 (or less) and upgrade in a few years than outlay £500+ and see technology leap ahead anyway.
    Most people (I guess) are like me and like a good quality screen with good dvd - more than Joe Bloggs. most of the differences in quality when you get into HDMI are apparant only to the true enthusiasts and dealers.

13. CKNA

CKNA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    S77 is only for US and Canada. As far as I know it will not be released anywhere else. Also S97 is not discontinued in US. It is current model that is still being manufactured.

14. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    For someone who does not have HDMI, and only uses the component outputs, I can confirm that the S97 is an excellent player. It helps that the interface is very clear and slick, and that the playback options (including a myriad of picture and sound tweaks) are well beyond what one usually finds on budget players. Also, through components, not even a hint of the macroblocking everyone is talking about. I'm very happy with it, and see it as my last DVD player until the new H-DVD/Blueray standards work themselves out and become affordable.

15. figaro07

figaro07

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm wondering if it's possible to get an interlaced signal out of the Panasonic S-97 from the component connectors or not. I've recently updated to FW 85E541 from 85E528, it seems not to have been of service. On the other hand can a Scart RBG signal out of the S-97 be connected to a Line Doubler ISCAN Ultra Component entry to make it work?

16. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Figaro, yes it outputs Interlaced over component.

17. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    Have a look here, it may be of assistance if you really want one. Go to the third post in the thread.

Cheers,

Martin.

18. MikeMcr

MikeMcr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I can't believe this thread dates back to June and Panasonic still do not have a UK replacement with HDMI. Anyone know when/if they plan to have a new UK model?

19. MikeMcr

MikeMcr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well I got a very quick reply from Panasonic UK; they "have no plans to release a DVD player with HDMI connection in the UK" :eek:

Any one know a good place to import the S97?

20. Stoelen

Stoelen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You can try www.mpx.no in Norway. Pick "Lyd/Bilde" then pick DVD and then "Dvd spiller", and then Panasonic will pop up. You will find the S-97 to a price of approx. 350 pounds.Send them a email and ask them if they are willing to send it to you. You can use Visa/Mastercard. It is a huge IT/AV warehouse.If you need help to translate,put it on this thread.
    Stoelen

21. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
  22. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: