Has the gooner downward spiral begun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think cygan is possibly one of wengers worse buys and considering he got rid of upson after he bought cygan(is that right ?) he must be kicking himself.its a prolonged rough patch granted but i wouldnt say its a downward spiral at the imho,everyone is looking a bit laggy behind chelski at the minute though.i dread to think what would happen if they got rid of drogba and actually got some kind of goal machine in :eek:

DJT75 said:
overkill said:
:rolleyes: Apart from the defence, which is awful, there is a lot of promise in the rest of them. QUOTE]

Manuel Almunia - great double save
Emmanuel Eboue - headless chicken
Philippe Senderos - Philippe Senderos
Johan Djourou - last one picked on the playground
Pascal Cygan - Philippe Senderos
Alexander Hleb - has Arsenal's style but everyone's worked that out
Alexandre Song - Well out of his depth
Gilberto - world cup winner overan by Div 3 midfield
Quincy Owusu Abeyie - all tricks & no vision
Robin Van Persie - now showing great potential, but will he stay when the others leave? Yes is the answer by the way, if he recovers from injury
Arturo Lupoli - lightweight, never make it in the Prem, £50 says he's homesick within the year
In your undoubted wisdom maybe. We can pull the same 'tear down' on any prem team these days - including yours. Never has a teams position been more reliant on spin and dodgy decisions than the current Liverpool teams. As for the mancs, - don't get me started.

If people want to play at childish slanging matches, then lets all go down the local - a few beers and we can all talk crap for fun.

If you want a sensible discussion on football, none of the above comments on Arsenal are going to be in it.

I would agree, as an Arsenal fan, we have too many experienced players and in Cygan the worst player I have ever seen (bar one) in an Arsenal shirt.

However, one season doesn't make for a teams chances to be over. Just ask Alex ferguson. He's been written off more times than terminal cancer patient. This season alone he's been slagged (quite embarrasingly) by all and sundry including his own fans, yet for all that his team is second, and on reputation alone, which goes a long way in the prem, the most likely to catch Chelsea.

As for the majority of Liverpool fans, their overview on football has been cruely exposed (again) by their disgraceful treatment of Owen, with a large section of the crowd booing and abusing him throughout the game. They aren't football fans - just success hogs. The bulk of the REAL liverpool fans stopped going fifteen years ago.

As such their views aren't worth a jot.

Overkill "Never has a teams position been more reliant on spin and dodgy decisions than the current Liverpool teams".

Erm ? Yeah, whatever. Liverpool are about the only team in the top half of the prem who are their purely on footballing merit, hard work, consistancy & passion. I don't know of a team that had more bad decisions go against them....

Overkills got the hump me thinks.:D

hunts1uk said:

So would I be if my team was in this poor state of no return :D :hiya: :clap: :rotfl:

DJT75 said:
Overkill "Never has a teams position been more reliant on spin and dodgy decisions than the current Liverpool teams".

Erm ? Yeah, whatever. Liverpool are about the only team in the top half of the prem who are their purely on footballing merit, hard work, consistancy & passion. I don't know of a team that had more bad decisions go against them....
:rolleyes: You mean like the Sunderland game at Anfield, won by a non penalty and littered wth bad decisions so poor that even liverpool fans mentioned it, the Portsmouth game with the penalty that wasn't (for Liverpool) followed by the penalty that was (but wasn't given to Portsmouth), etc, etc, etc. We've been down this road with Liverpool too many times before. It's enough to make me back the Mancs and Chelsea. Even Spurs would be preferable! I never thought I'd ever say that...............

hunts1uk said:
No, not really. I just enjoy talking football. Ie not conversing with a load of one eyed, 'not interested in football, just liverpool, Man Utd etc' football fans talking about things they know nothing about. ;)

I am only too painfully aware of Arsenals shortcomings. I just don't whine when they are bad (Liverpool fans jam the airwaves with abuse everytime they lose) and go OTT when they win. That, I'm glad to say, is the difference between us. I view football through a realist's, not a fantasist's eyes. :)

*LEGAL NOTICE* In view of the fact that Overkill has been banned for his comments in the football threads in the past he has decided to leave this thread forthwith. Any comments should be taken as unrepresentative of his normal calm and passive persona, and as such should hopefully not constitute grounds for any moderators to take action.

I hope you all have a jolly good new year, and, that Arsenal recover sufficently to make you all eat humble pie in 2006! :D :hiya:

Cheers, and a happy new year to everyone!

overkill said:
:rolleyes: You mean like the Sunderland game at Anfield, won by a non penalty and littered wth bad decisions so poor that even liverpool fans mentioned it, the Portsmouth game with the penalty that wasn't (for Liverpool) followed by the penalty that was (but wasn't given to Portsmouth), etc, etc, etc. We've been down this road with Liverpool too many times before. It's enough to make me back the Mancs and Chelsea. Even Spurs would be preferable! I never thought I'd ever say that...............

So that's 2 games in which we won 2-0 & 3-0 so therefore irrelevant. What about all the others I can even be bothered to list where we didn't get the penalties, we were incorrectly flagged offside?

the_sanguine said:
Doesn't look as though they're doing so bad tonight....:thumbsdow

Nah, just another bottom 5 side that anyone can beat. The thread was started to suggest what will happen when the likes of Henry leave, fomr what I saw of his performance last night, they're a 1 & 1/2 man team...(the 1/2 being Reyes).

DJT75 said:
Nah, just another bottom 5 side that anyone can beat. The thread was started to suggest what will happen when the likes of Henry leave, fomr what I saw of his performance last night, they're a 1 & 1/2 man team...(the 1/2 being Reyes).
You see this is how pointless this is? How many sides in Liverpools 'great run' have been worth a tuppeny f? Answer, not one. The mighty Everton of course being the latest, who were thrashed 4-0 by 'awesome' Villa last time out! Many also argue that Liverpool are a one man/two man side.

Liverpools run is a cruel exposure of how poor the prem is, nothing else. Before the usual futile protest start, I would also argue that Arsenals unbeaten away run in 2002, their unbeaten season in 2004, the numerous and ludicrous number of doubles/trebles being achieved since the prem started, the fact that championships are now being won by teams only losing one, maybe two games a season, the fact that the same three or four teams now contest all the honours not just the leauge, are further proof of this. Only fans detirmined to argue how great their team is, rather than face facts, contest this.

On this whole 'we weren't given this pen or that decision' this is symptomatic of the NW, big club, supporter syndrome. It's not that the Liverpool/Utd don't get decisions, it's just that they want EVERY decision to go their way. Yes, to a degree all fans are like that, but after 30 years of watching football (by which I mean actually going!) those two clubs fans are the worst for this by a mile.

By the way, I see a Beattie had a perfectly good goal ruled out at a crucial stage last night for nothing more than the infamous rule 272: 'daring to score against Liverpool'. ;)

Bye!:clap:

All your glory since the Prem started - that's exactly my point - it's coming to an end very very soon with the likes of Henry & Wenger leaving...

& there's 2 teams in our "great run" - Middlesbrough & Newcastle that Arsenal lost to this season so does that mean Arsenal are "worth a tuppeny f" too? :hiya:

And finally, as for the whinging comment - I think we all know Wenger & his pompous clan of followers are by far the biggest bread of whingers in the history of the game both on the pitch & in the press..:thumbsup:

Look you can only beat the teams in front of you

Winning is winning

You don't see Mourinho complaining about the "dogged" 1-0 win vs Man City

Only a blind fool and/or fanboy can't see the confidence, great balance between defence and attack and passing game that Rafa has instilled at Anfield

This can only be good for the Premiership. If Chelski are gonna win it, for the fans, they should at least work a bit for the Prem. Maybe too late for the Reds this year, but if we carry this form into next season...as the song goes "things can only get better"

Before I say anything else I have to warn you all that I come from the same era as Overkill - the era of the arrogant Liverpool side and the fans that went with that period.
I have a few gripes with Liverpool past and present, the main one being their fan's inability to criticise anything to do with the club full stop. Every other club seems to have fans that are capable of taking criticism or moaning about some part of their club (even the so-called arrogant Manchester United fans) but Liverpool seems different. I have a mate who was born in Liverpool but moved to the East Midlands at the age of 2, he goes on the LFC forum quite a lot and got loads of stick for daring to criticise Geraaaaaaard Hoooooooooolier ;) who was not doing good things for the club at the time. My mate was told that he shouldn't have a go at him because he was the manager and he'd had a heart attack for the club !!
I'm sure it must have something to do with the Scouse "stick together at all costs" mentality that winds other people up. The ability to blame everyone else for something is also annoying - the day after Heysel we had the claims that those who caused it must have been from down South as Liverpool fans would not have done that :rolleyes:
Having said that, I am actually starting to watch Liverpool matches this season as they seem to be more entertaining. In the past few seasons I've found them to be very average and boring. Their league form last season was mediocre in a Premier League that is also quite average these days (I wonder how many current Liverpool players would have got into that 70s Liverpool side ? I can only think of Gerard to be honest) . I think the lucky European win has done them some good, they were totally outplayed and looked like a 3rd rate side in the first half but managed to show great spirit in the second half. Mind you, any team that can be 3-0 up at half time and lose can't be up to much :D
One final note:- yes I am bitter as Liverpool were the only side who stopped Forest going on to even more glory during the late 70s and early 80s :D

Is that the same "Lucky European Win" that saw us knock out the previous years Finalists, Semi-Finalist & the 3 favourites for the 2005 competition in Chelsea, Juvetus & AC Milan - 2 of whom dominated their domestic leagues?

There's nothing lucky about that, if you want to talk luck look at how Arsenal have scrapped through the group stages on about 5 occasions with a points tally that would've be low enough to go out in every other group.

Stick to the point - are Arsenal shagged when Henry goes in the summer? - Yes.

Yes that's the lucky European win I'm talking about. I still say that any team who is 3-0 up at half time in a cup final and then go on to lose are either useless or someone has placed a large amount of money on the outcome of the game ;)
Your point about Arsenal is not being denied by Arsenal fans as they have the ability to look at their club with a critical eye.

JohnG said:
Yes that's the lucky European win I'm talking about. I still say that any team who is 3-0 up at half time in a cup final and then go on to lose are either useless or someone has placed a large amount of money on the outcome of the game ;)
Your point about Arsenal is not being denied by Arsenal fans as they have the ability to look at their club with a critical eye.

So it's not possible that AC Milan out fixed Liverpool in the first half & Liverpool did the same in the 2nd? Have some consideration, it was the greatest come back of all time & you know it.

It was also a tournament acheivement that no other English club would've been capable of equaling.

Overkill can't & I spend my entire life criticizing certain aspects of LFC.

Again the typical arrogance of Liverpool fans rears it's head. I can understand why Overkill doesn't want to discuss football with the likes of these people as all common sense seems to fly out of the window as soon as they start talking about their club.
You are either on the wind-up or have no sense of just how mediocre Liverpool have been over the last few years.

We have been incredibly mediocre over the last few years, only the trophies in 2001 & the 2nd place in the league have been satisfactory.

Why is it all of a sudden not common sense to say Liverpools acheivement in the Champions League last season was exceptional & it looks like we're on the way up domestically. Whereas Arsenal have achieved nothing in the Champions League ever & I'm afraid their domestic form will follow when certain individuals leave.

There's nothing arrogant in that - it's what I've seen in the last 12 months & foresee for the future. There is nothing more arrogant than listening to gooners going on about who they think they'll sign in the summer because they think they're some sort of world beaters....

Oh, & you've yet to actually comment on what this thread is actually about, try doing that rather than your ignorant LFC bashing...

There's nothing ignorant and LFC bashing about me mate so please retract that.
I was referring to your comment:-
It was also a tournament acheivement that no other English club would've been capable of equaling.
when I said it was an arrogant Liverpool quote. How can you say that and keep a straight face !

So you don't think it's ignorant to ignore the facts, ignore the thread subject & instead basically slate the people of Liverpool?

The thread had turned into a Liverpool v Arsenal one and I was just adding my 2p's worth in with my own personal views - isn't this allowed ? Would you like me to close the thread if you feel it has gone off topic ?

I was also wondering if you started this thread to get Overkill wound up and banned again like the Liverpool fans managed to do in the other thread ???

I suggest we leave it for others to view but I shall take a back seat on this particular subject until the summer when all will be revealed............@ Barcelona!! :clap: Oh I can't wait to see Henry's name up on the bottom of the screen in the World Cup graphics reading

Thierry Henry
Barcelona

Happy New Year to you John G & all our fellow subscribers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom