1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has the gooner downward spiral begun?

Discussion in 'Sport' started by DJT75, Oct 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,214
    Although I'm a Liverpool fan, I'm going to Spurs v Arsenal tomorrow (my brother's a Spurs Fan). I spent a great deal of time widing up Arsenal fans
    in the pub last night saying the downward spiral has begun & it's Spur's best chance in years to beat them & even finish above them in the league.

I really do believe we've seen the end of this Arsenal era & not just because Chelsea have overtaken them...

They failed to win back to back league titles under Wenger - they won't get that chance again with Roman is around.

They have failed to reach a Champs League Semi-final, let alone a Final or win it & I can't see them making that at the moment.

They have sold their leader a year too early & I truely believe Henry & Wenger will follow within the next 2 summers.

Add to that Pires's age, Bergkamp's age, Cole maybe moving on, Reyes occassionally homesick & Hleb being useless.

So has the downward spiral begun folks??? :hiya: :thumbsup:

2. dc007

dc007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Please God yes. They've been too smug for too long with all their foreign players.

I'd like to see them fill the new Library with no Champions League - fat chance ! Do they really think they'll get regular home gates of 60,000 ?! Not a chance. 45,000, maybe - tops.

The future is bright - the future's Lillywhite !

3. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    ohh this could be the best thread ever lol
    over to overkill :hiya:

Take Terry Henry out and they are an average side

4. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,214
    Exciting isn't it!

I can't wait to hear who their next manager is :rotfl:, not to mention hear the pathetic fee they get for Hnery when he's just about out of contract :smoke:

5. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    Only echoes the concerns many Arsenal fans have.

Why?

The White Elephant has cost too much meaning we've had no money for players.
    The manager isn't keen on buying foreign rather than going homegrown or UK market for that reason. Ie English players are even greedier than foreign ones.
    The Team is getting on is some positions and the replacements in others are not so hot. Sendertoss being a good example.
    All in all a poor look out.

Coming from a supporter of the team that invented the word 'smug' and in particular 'smug over foreign buys' (the God awful spin surrounding Ardiles and Villa ring any bells?) I wouldn't shout too loud.

Library? Please, only a few clubs can diss our lot over lack of noise. At the dismembered WHL the noise is hardly fever pitch. :rolleyes: However, I've said elsewhere that we will struggle to get anything like a full house with an average team. In particular in the current climate.

Right back atcha, without Gerrard Liverpool are less than ordinary. ;) Would agree though. The spark has gone.

Tragic. I don't gloat even over my nemesis's dire form. While I've enjoyed Spurs seemingly never ending rut, I never viewed it as 'exciting' when the glory days of the 80's were over. It's no fun beating a crap side year in year out in Derbies. Obviously one of the army of sados thats attached themselves to footie since 93'. ;)

However, when alls said and done Spurs aren't THAT great either. "Spin, is the word, is the word"......... :D

6. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,818
    Let you know sunday when i've sobered up.Got a ticket for east upper and can't wait.

Come on you spurs
    :thumbsup:

7. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    I think that says it all about the last decade for Spurs fans................ ;) :D If you can't beat Arsenal now, it's a going to be a long night in that part of NW London!

8. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,214
    Well.........(remember this is coming from a Liverpool so the 1-1 result was perfect).........Spurs absolutely dicked the goons for 45 mins & i mean dicked, all over the park. Not sure how Flamini started ahead of Pires but it wasn't until the introduction of Pires did Arsenal even begin to play. They dominated possession in the 2nd half, had Henry been playing they may have won but Bobby Van Pursestring did manage to fill his boots for a certain periods.

All in all Spurs could've & should've been in at half time 2 or 3 up & had it not been for constant cheating/diving (Reyes, Fabregas, Lehman, Bergkamp, Pires, Van Purse, Lauren) & an over generous Mr Bennett, Arsenal would've have come back into it......

If teams can sustain Arenal for the full 90mins & Henry/Wenger/Pires leave as expected then the downward spiral continues.....quickly.....

9. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    Why not include Man U?

It happens.

In 1990, who would have predicted 15 years later, Liverpool won't have won a single Premiership title?

Who woulda predicted Man U as a force would have largely gone by the new millenium in 1999?

Who woulda predicted Arsenal mid table this season only a year after they were in the process of 49 games unbeaten?

Yes Roman has loadsa cash. But so did Man U. Arsenal. Blackburn bought the title for heavens sake!

10. Mezz

Mezz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a life long gooner i will admit that this season so far has been, well rubbish.
    But what wenger has done for the club is amazing, he has virtually no money to spend with the new stadium. His biggest mistake has been selling Pat, but hey at least all of our title wins have been earned, now that is not a dig at Chelsea but without all thier money they would be an average team, because if i had billions to spend and player like lampard, crespo to name a few then yeah i would win the title.

(Just for the record that statement was not a dig at Chelsea fans, i think they are a great side and i like Jose, but even Chelsea fans must admit before Roman came along you were an average team.)

As for Man U they have lost it now for me, its been a few years now since winning silverware, plus a 4 - 1 loss today, fergie must go after this season. Rooney and Giggs are the best things in old trafford.

Liverpool have gone from a great high (Champs league win over Milan, which i was happy about, in fact i think every englishman was a liverpool fan that night.) But Without Stevie G i can't see it getting better, i mean he did not leave last year but with this season going the way it is he might leave.

As for Henry, he will sign, he has already said he wants to stay at Arsenal forl life, and Arsenal will pay what he wants.

11. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    Great post DJT75. Confirmed a long held belief. That Liverpool fans watch what they want too see, not what happens. Not all mind (hi Silver), but far too many. I would agree that Spurs had the bulk of the possession first half and should have thumped us. However, that's what derbies are all about. Nerves cause you to snatch at chances when in other games you'd bury them. As for the referee being 'biased' and 'Arsenals players diving' well, as a Liverpool fan you should be an expert on 'helpful' refs decisions and diving. ;) Frankly, they were no worse than Spurs, who's histrionic's were getting wearing.

In the Second half Spurs started brightly again, but even before Pires came on, they were guilty of giving possession away cheaply, something which got worse as the half wore on. With Van Persie coming on the team finally had a young pair of legs (Bergkamps shot - period) to get on to the midfields more incisive passing. By the last quarter I thought we could steal it, as Spurs looked as thought they'd had their sweeties pinched........... and with that attitude some of the players need Jol to give them a swift boot to the shorts.

Overall, a good game. Spurs should have sealed it by half time but didn't, Arsenal woke up just in time to (nearly) spoil the party.

Hopefully Spurs will carry on getting better, and Arsenal will see the younger players start to deliver. I'd rather see two strong North London teams than the shambles Spurs have been since 91'.

With a team in transition you don't expect great performances. We were written off during the post 98' years. Yet - by 2002 they did another double, retained the cup in 2003 and won the prem without losing in 2004. Not bad for a team that had quote; 'had the heart cut of it' by losing the famous 80-90's defence.

I fear the worst myself, but as Wengers said, we've been here before.

12. dc007

dc007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Two foreign players in the team is one thing.... 11 with another 5 on the bench is quite another.

I suppose it was just about a fair result Saturday. We should have buried you first half, but you might have nicked it in the second.

Slightly frustrating that ENO has made a couple of costly errors in the last two games, else we'd be sitting pretty... but then again he's also produced blinding saves in both games so we can and will forgive him.

Bolton away next for us - now this game I see as a real 6-pointer for a UEFA spot, realistically speaking for this season...

13. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    Oh, I quite agree DC. But the fuss made over those two was worth 20 players! :D Back on point it's a sad reflection of a) Wengers view of English talent B) the depth of greed that English players have. On the former I wouldn't neccarily agree with him (Spurs have plenty of quality young English talent) on the latter, the likes of Cole, and beckham demands lends me to agree.

Funny game that one. Traditionally you did well against them, but the last couple of years not so good. Will be a real tough un'. No room for mistakes with Nolan around....... ;)

14. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Apparently they've found a structual fault at the new stadium....

The seats are facing the pitch!

15. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    Boom boom! :rolleyes: That one is soooooooooooooooo old! :D

For me, and just about every other Arsenal fan, I'd just like to see where the £450,000,000 price tag comes from?

What is going to be in it? Personal valets? Gold plated seat trims? Each, plush covered seat, having it's own plasma screen for alternative entertainment? A personal minibar under each seat? The seats themselves all made by lazeeboy so after a particularly tough game they massage your tensions away?

No? For £450 milllion they bloody well should be! :mad:

Or, as many suspect did the stadia cost what many predicted, around £270 million, and the rest going into Deins 'failed business fund'?

One wonders.........

16. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I think they're putting in personal screens so you can watch Laurel & Hardy while you're waiting for the result

17. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    Ahhhhhhh! A comedian! Not! :thumbsdow :devil:

18. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,214
    It's been 7 weeks but I thought I'd bring this one up again.

So was I right or was I right? correct - I was right!

But apart from my original prediction of the end of season superstar clearout, I'm now seeing that all these fancy-dan youngsters, that Wenger stole from youth academys around the world to waste & rot in Arsenal's own youth squad, will never make it as 1st team players. Fabregas aside, not one of them has shown they can mix it with first teamers, let alone combine together into a decent team of the future.

So even Arsenal's back up plan, aprés Wenger has back-fired. Loadsa skill, no passion or football intelligence, the lot of them..:hiya:

19. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    just to jump in on this thread it is quite amusing how the "best team in the history of football" have fallen so rapidly. I am disappointed by my own team's decline in recent years but at least we dominated for a considerable time, all good things come to an end I suppose.

As an aside, if I saw united players celebrating like the arsenal ones did after scabbing a victory against a third division side I'd be devastated. taunting the home supporters instead of congratulating them at the end of that match epitomised all that I find distasteful about Wenger's teams - being bad losers is one thing but what does it take to win with a bit of dignity?

20. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    :rolleyes: Apart from the defence, which is awful, there is a lot of promise in the rest of them. If you're going to put 'I hate Arsenal so they must be on the wane' posts down, then at least be honest. Because that's all you've done.

On the Doncaster game I have only praise for the home teams performance. However, the fact that Arsenal (unlike previous teams) did notlose speaks volumes. Were things as bad as they can be (and after 30 years of watching them it REALLY can), then Doncaster would have imitated Walsall, York etc and finished Wenger off. They didn't. Wengers biggest problem is the defence. Get that sorted and things will get better fast.

I think a Utd fan lamenting Arsenals 'bad behaviour' is a sick joke frankly. After the arrogant antics of both Utd's manager and players over last ten years the phrase 'people in glass houses' has never been more appropriate.

I didn't see (and I watched the game) anything OTT by the Arsenal players. I am not given to making excuses (like Wenger) for their antics when they are 'off' either. After the 'slapping incident' at Old Trafford two years ago I would have thrown the book at at least five of them.

21. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    despite your dislike of the way fergie and some of united's players have behaved over the years I stand by what I said. When united win, they win with dignity - the arrogance in victory displayed by wenger's teams is quite frankly embarassing, especially on nights like last night - celebrating like you've won the european cup when you put a third division club out of the league cup in the last minute of extra time is very, very small time.

22. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,214

23. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Don't often agree with scousers (esp. the wife ;) ) but that is spot on.

24. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    Lets see..no leadership, passion and arrogant. Thats Arsenal fans on their youngsters!

Cygan - wouldn't get into Chelski, Man Utd, Liverpool or Spurs 1st teams. Not even Newcastle's and they could do with one or two centre backs!

25. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,214
    Cygan wouldn't get to any of the above's reserve teams - If had time, I could name 60 better centre backs in the premiership...(& 80 better full backs)

26. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    i think cygan is possibly one of wengers worse buys and considering he got rid of upson after he bought cygan(is that right ?) he must be kicking himself.its a prolonged rough patch granted but i wouldnt say its a downward spiral at the imho,everyone is looking a bit laggy behind chelski at the minute though.i dread to think what would happen if they got rid of drogba and actually got some kind of goal machine in :eek:

27. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192

28. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,214
    Overkill "Never has a teams position been more reliant on spin and dodgy decisions than the current Liverpool teams".

Erm ? Yeah, whatever. Liverpool are about the only team in the top half of the prem who are their purely on footballing merit, hard work, consistancy & passion. I don't know of a team that had more bad decisions go against them....

29. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,818
    Overkills got the hump me thinks.:D

30. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,214
    So would I be if my team was in this poor state of no return :D :hiya: :clap: :rotfl:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.