1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

has the flash worked?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Gazz, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Gazz

Gazz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys (and Gals)

setting up the new HTPC, and I've just taken the plunge and flashed my GCC-41270B 2.01 combo (thought I might as well do it from new)
    However, Drive Region Info V2.1 still says the drive has region protection. Does this sound right?

Sorry if this is a daft question but I expected to see something different.

Thx
    Gazz

2. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    I'm guessing here, but is it a LG drive? And are you sure you have the right model number as I can't find a GCC-412070B.
    Can find plenty of GCC-4120B's though so I'm guessing that's the one you have.

There isn't an RPC1 firmware available yet for this drive, but there is a tool that allows you to reset the region code here Got the link from this page
    There is also another wee app called RPCMAN that can do this -
    link

A good place to find out about firmware upgrades and any region free stuff is http://forum.firmware-flash.com/index.php?sid=e6aca293de63a4e3fc9b66194c01f816
    Finally got a firmware for my Pioneer DVR104 to make it region free from here :)

3. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As above, make sure you have the right firmware. Also what OS are you using? If in XP, you need to make sure you create a DOS startup disk to get into "Pure Dos" (doesn't really exist with XP but anyway) mode.

If it flashed correctly, it should have taken a few secs to a few mins with no error messages reported. If Drive Info is still showing a locked status then it probably still is. There is another utility though that is supposed to be more reliable than Drive Info. Check out the link to the forums that alanrob gave above. It's a great source of help for firmware flashing.

I did my Tosh 2502 laptop drive last night and it worked a treat. You still need to get round the software side of things though and the best app for this IMO is Region Killer 2 available freeware from:

http://elby.ch/english/fun/software/index.html

Let us know how you get on . :)

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Make sure you don't have more than one region reporting piece of software running.

I flashed my Liteon drive, but according to DVDGenie, it was still locked. I tried it in another machine, and it was region free.

It turned out it was because I still had Region Killer running, and that was telling DVDGenie that the drive was the region of the last disk I played. I stopped RK from running and rebooted, ran Genie and it was showing as region free.

Gary.

5. Gazz

Gazz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Guys - I'll try out your suggestions
    I'm using XP, but I must admit I'm pulling my hair out installing cards.
    GeForce 2 keeps conflicting and hanging the machine, and getting the WinTV applications and drivers in was an absolute mare (had to install the apps one by one manually off the cd and I'm still not sure it's right).
    I can't face trying to install the sound card tonight.

I've got to be honest, if it wasn't for the help on this forum I would currently be mad/broke/dead/needing a new window after throwing the pc through it.

I'll rejoin the battle of wits with the box tomorrow and let you know how it's going.

Question - is it worth dumping XP and installing an older OS to make things easier?

Gazz

6. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I quite like XP myself - it offers a lot more control over advanced features etc. but I can forsee problems when building from scratch. If the sole purpose of your HTPC is just that, for playing DVD's, then there is no real benefit in using XP over the likes of Windows 98.

Stick it out a bit longer though and see how you get on. :)