Has the fast-forward and fast-reverse fault just been fixed?

Bert Coules

I realised tonight that on every channel I tested, SD and HD, all of my fast wind speeds above x6 were actually working properly. Previously x6 was the fastest I could get, the other settings giving no improvement, except on HD channels where they all functioned correctly.

Has there been a very recent system update? I'm not talking about the new EPG, since that definitely made no difference at all.

Bert

Bert Coules

Thanks for the reply. I was sure that the new EPG hadn't fixed it on my box, but perhaps I was simply mistaken.

Whatever the reason, if it really is working properly now, I'm glad.

Bert

Jaycee Dove

It was fixed with the new epg for me.

Most people saw this problem disappear the moment Thomson boxes got the new EPG. The thread on the new EPG is full of such reports.

A few disagreed but it massively and obviously improved our Thomson FFW.

Oddly Sky (or one of their staff on DS) said they were puzzled as the new EPG software was not meant to do this.

Other Sky HD boxes (we have both a Pace and a Samsung so can testifty) had perect workinf FFW/RW on the old EPG. Indeed we still have both on the old EPG and the FFW is spot on on both.

This was always a Thomson only issue but the new EPG somehow improved it - whether Sky intended to or not.

Maybe this was the first Sky bug that actually made a positive difference.

Let's hope they do not fix it!

fredsie

Oddly Sky (or one of their staff on DS) said they were puzzled as the new EPG software was not meant to do this.

This was always a Thomson only issue but the new EPG somehow improved it - whether Sky intended to or not.

It seems to me that the old Thomson FF/RW bug was an accidental conflict with the old software and hardware. The new EPG is a complete firmware rewrite and I guess it's therefore unlikely that they'd be unlucky enough to hit that same problem combination again. But it does look like they've hit a new one!

Bert Coules

Thanks for the replies. Well, mine is a Thomson box and I was sure that the EPG update hadn't fixed the problem, but it seems that I might have been wrong.

Mind you, I'd rather have the problem back if I could have the old EPG to go with it, but that's a subject for a different thread or three...

Bert

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: REL T9/X Subwoofer + Bowers & Wilkins PI7 Reviews, AV Shows in a Pandemic and more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom