Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Has the Denon A10se aged well?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by garylloyd, Aug 2, 2002.

Tags:
  1. garylloyd

garylloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Hi.
    I was looking to buy a 11sr or A1se.But I have found a A10se being given away.Because of the price the dealers will not demo.
    So the question is how does the 10se stand up the 11sr?
    After reading that a 3802 is now a match for the yam AX-1,I am worried things may have moved on a bit.
    I know I am lossing a few sound formats but I can live with that.
    Does 5.1 sound quality improve as the years go on?Take something that was excellent a few years ago say a Lexicon DC1 how good is it now?
    One more thing how tweakable is the A10SE?
    Any insights please post away.
    Gary

2. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Hi

The A10SE is still an excellent amp, whilst it might not quite match up to the A11SR. It outperforms the 3801/2 for both movies & music. You can add the 2 ch power amp (POA T10) for use with its EX decoding if you want the extra surround back channels. Just bear in mind it does´nt have PL2 or DTS ES Discrete.

At the prices I´ve seen them going for (around 550 quid), the performance you get for your money is brilliant. Certainly recommend one.:)

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with everything Jase has said.
    I used to own one of these, and thoroughly enjoyed having it.
    If you can get it for £500.00, then it's a good buy.....
    (minus the absence of PL11 etc..etc..)

Adzman

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Because of the price the dealers will not demo."

Eh ? But they'd happily dem, say, a £299 integrated amp ?

What price you getting anyway ?

Mike.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    I moved up / down from a Marantz 6200 to a Denon AVC10SE and found an improvement in sound quality, although not a huge leap.

It sounds marvellous in stereo and as a THX approved amp is tweakable in many areas but what exactly are you looking for.

I miss PL2 but as I don't watch much TV I can live without it and I like the idea of needing an extra amp to drive the surround rears as I don't have to buy something that I don't use.

The 10SE only has amplification for five channels onboard with the attendant benefits of not trying to be all things to all men with an inadequate power supply.

6. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I have had the A10SE for nearly a year, and thought the amp was well worth the £1000 I paid for it, never mind £500! The Denon is good in stereo (the Denon has a 5/7 ch stereo mode, which some swear by, too) but outstanding in AV. There is more than enough power on tap as the Denon has a huge toroidal power supply. Believe me, though things have moved on, the Denon is still a good AV amp. Oh, and the Yamaha AX-1 is far better than the 3802, in my opinion.

The dealer is a bit harsh with the demo, aren't they? I take it no other dealer has the amp and will pricematch?

How "tweakable" is the A10? Aside from the normal speaker setup options and THX mode there are the following: You can use 2 sets of surround speakers, one for music and one for film. In addition, you can set up the A10SE so that the internal amps power all channels but the fronts (instead of rear surrounds). This allows you to hook up a better power amp, such as a Rotel 1070 or NAD 216THX, in order to improve stereo playback.

Hope this helps - Russell

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Basically all has been said already. It has my vote as a receiver that has aged well. You will loose a few of the latest 'formats'. The only one to worry about is PL2.

Don't forget this is a 7 chanel receiver with 5 chanels of amps. Allows you to put some really good L and R amps on at a later stage if you feel so inclined.

8. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    That's interesting, have you compared them both in your own system, 2-channel and with DD/DTS ?

9. garylloyd

garylloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Thanks for all the replys!
    Ok the dealer wants £550,the telephone conversation went a bit like this.
    Cool you have one left,can I come and demo it.
    I am afraid this is the last one and there is not a demo model set up.
    Oh ok thanks.Bye.
    I am still not certain what to do.May be a s/h A1se,did we get the black one over here,I only seem to see the golden ones for sale.
    Are there any problem areas to check for on s/h unit?
    Thanks for your inputs.
    Gary

10. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    garylloyd:

They were available in the US (badged as the 4800, I think) in black. As far as I know all A10SE's were gold in this country.
    £550 isn't bad, especially as you will be getting a full warranty too. One amp that you may want to listen to is the new Harman/Kardon 5500. H/K isn't mentioned too much on these forums, but they make some class kit and the new x500 range seems to offer exceptional performance.

gringottsdirect:

Yep, the Yammy AX1/Denon 3802 were some of the amps I was interested in. My opinion is that the Yamaha is one of the best AV amps you can currently buy (with discount pricing). The Yammy AX1 wasn't worth the £2k original asking price, but it was certainly worth ~£900 you can get them for, now. In terms of Stereo performance both the Yamaha and Denon 3802 are mediocre, running from a £600 CD player. Frankly a good £300 stereo amp (like a NAD 350) will comprehensively best both amps. The powerful AV performance of the Yamaha was so much better, though, that I immediately discounted the 3802 - it was that obvious. I try not to be influenced by magazines' reviews hailing the Next Best Thing as the only choice, as has been the case with the 3802. How many people have bought the 3802 on the strength of magazine reviews, and haven't listened to other amps like the Sony 555, Onkyo 696 or the aforementioned H/K amp? Sorry, ranting again.

Russell

11. garylloyd

garylloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Thanks for reply Russell.
    May I ask what amp you ended up buying?
    I am sure you are right that the first time some people hear there gear is after they have unpacked at home.
    I think Richer Sounds are doing a deal on the AX-1,£750.
    Gary

12. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I wound up getting the Denon A10SE over the Yamaha AX1 for two reasons: At the time the Yammy was £1100, and the Denon was £1000 - a materialistic reason, but an important one. The other was THX processing. Now, some people don't like THX, but I do and have found some films are much improved using THX processing (like the new Lord of the Rings film which seems to sound too bright without THX).
    If this is important, the Denon is a better stereo amp, too, but by a small margin. The Yamaha I demoed was new out the box and so had a bright edge to it. I have since heard another that was on dem for a while and it didn't sound nearly as bright. Obviously the Yammy needs running in; had I known this, perhaps my decision would have been different as the Yammy has all channels of amplification built in.

Russell

13. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I agree with you.
    Except the NAD bit :cool: .

14. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,367
    What is the general opinion on Yamaha vs Denon?

I've heard recently that yammy's tend to be "brighter" and less smooth than the Denons? I know its a difficult question without quoting 2 specific models, but any general feelings out there on this one?