Has something seemingly trivial totally put you off someone or do a complete U turn on your opinion of them?

Let me guess

Established Member
Reaction score
So, I have an aunt who is a very successful career woman, frequently raises money for charity by walking up various mountains etc.
But she claims to heal people through reiki.

Apparently, she can also do this remotely, dunno if the success depends on your broadband speed or what.

Whilst getting the whole placebo effect and the more things on heaven and earth etc. I just think wtf? It just doesn't 'fit' with everything else about her.
She was very upset, when the local hospice didn't take her up on her offer to volunteer her services.

My step sister, very down to earth no nonsense person started going to a spiritualist church and now says she can also talk to the dearly departed...and I think 'you can't possibly be that gullible, so you are lying to my face' again, something that doesn't 'fit' with how I used to see her.

Bumped into a schoolfriend I hadn't seen for about 25 years and we arranged to meet up for a pub lunch.
Ordered our food and I ask what she's drinking and she says 'I'll have a double brandy' firstly, I thought 'who the hell has a double brandy with lunch?' I mean, unless you've just witnessed a traumatic event, who does that?
Secondly, I just thought it was rude of her, lol! probably absurd of me, I know but it put me in mind of when you're going 50/50 for a meal with someone and you're eating a salad because they would only eat from the al acarte menu.

I'm probably just a judgmental, cynical old mare!

So, has anyone's views on someone done a 360 over something trivial?

That's a very long Thread title!

I can't abide smokers. I don't care how beautiful, or kind, or talented, or generous they are, I just can't stand the smell or the taste.

Since becoming vegetarian in my 30's, I also find it difficult to share meals with meat-eaters. Don't get me wrong, both smoking and eating meat are entirely personal decisions and I would never tell anyone how to live their lives; I just find it difficult to be exposed to either, that's all.

This one's trivial: you know you see someone really attractive in the street? And then as they walk past you, you hear them speak and they sound really dim? That puts me off and I know it's terribly judgemental as you can't really know anything about someone based on how they sound.

I mean, I have a Southern RP accent and I think I sound horrible - clipped and cold. But people seem to think I'm smart as I sound like I should be reading the news on the BBC!

Yes, nothing worse than seeing some hot babe out, only for to then see them with a fag in their mouth, totally off putting. :rotfl:

But regarding the OP, there are aspects of everyone's life that you won't agree with, but to have any social interaction at all you just need to ignore it. You may not agree with everything another person does but it is their life and as long as they aren't a complete looney right wing racist nutter, then it shouldn't be an issue.

I’ve gone off a few friends because of the way they’ve acted. Often it seems like little, trivial things but I think it’s often the small details that give an insight into their personality.

If anyone isn’t polite and friendly to service staff it’s a red flag to me. I’ve gone on dates with women who seemed really nice until I saw their interactions (or lack thereof) with staff at the restaurant/bar.

I’m not really friends with anyone who is inconsiderate to others, or who constantly tries to do things for their own gain (such as the OP mentioned, people who try to take advantage of splitting a bill, etc.). It’s not like I weed them out, it just seems to happen. As such I maybe have a smaller circle of friends than some, but I’d do anything for any of them.

I’ve gone off a few friends because of the way they’ve acted. Often it seems like little, trivial things but I think it’s often the small details that give an insight into their personality.

If anyone isn’t polite and friendly to service staff it’s a red flag to me. I’ve gone on dates with women who seemed really nice until I saw their interactions (or lack thereof) with staff at the restaurant/bar.

I’m not really friends with anyone who is inconsiderate to others, or who constantly tries to do things for their own gain (such as the OP mentioned, people who try to take advantage of splitting a bill, etc.). It’s not like I weed them out, it just seems to happen. As such I maybe have a smaller circle of friends than some, but I’d do anything for any of them.
Agree, you put it so much better then me..lol

Yes, nothing worse than seeing some hot babe out, only for to then see them with a fag in their mouth, totally off putting. :rotfl:
Yes for five minutes, until they give me the glad eye :eek::D:rotfl:

I know or rather knew someone who lies. OK we all tell porkies but he will lie about everything even stuff that it is/was so easy to catch him out.

We were friends with a couple quite a while back - seemed decent. Then one day at a garden party the bloke started telling us how he had become a Freeman of the Land, how the rule of law didn't apply to him anymore as he had 'opted out' - how having your name in CAPITAL LETTERS on your birth certificate means you are a corporation that allows the government to borrow money against you, and how he was battling to get a birth certificate with lower case letters (like the Queen has, apparently). His wife was cringing through all this. We haven't spoken in a long time now.

Yeah doctors and nurses.

Prior to working at a hospital, I thought doctors and nurses were sort of decent folks.

But I was soooo wrong^1000,000. Oh my God. Majority of doctors and nurses I have encountered are melodramatic drama queens who act like they are God's gift to Earth and expect people to roll out the red carpet for them at all times.

Get lost. No one forced you to enter the medical profession. Leave me alone. Why do you feel like I owe you something?

At some point at work I had to disconnect the phone line so I could stop getting nurses/doctors dumb requests to getting free food.

How are cheap are you? You cannot afford 70p chips.

Oh my God they get on my nerves. I had one nurse who was acting like a patient. It took me almost 20 minutes to serve this heffa. She ordered jacket potato with cheese and beans. Paid by card, but it declined. It kept declining. She was like gimme food. I was like yeah once we have received your payment, you'll get your food.

After God knows how long, we got payment. Then she got mad because she didn't have enough beans. So I decided to give a walloping good portion of beans, large enough to fit and overflow from her entire gob.

Then she complained she felt sick. I looked at the state of her. It was disgusting. She looked like a overgrown baby sitting on a baby chair with food mess all around her. I was like I'm so sorry to hear that...so what do you want me to do? If I had nothing to lose, I would have slapped the donkey poo outta her for wasting almost 20 minutes of my time. P_P

Yeah doctors and nurses.

Prior to working at a hospital, I thought doctors and nurses were sort of decent folks.

But I was soooo wrong^1000,000. Oh my God. Majority of doctors and nurses I have encountered are melodramatic drama queens who act like they are God's gift to Earth and expect people to roll out the red carpet for them at all times.

Get lost. No one forced you to enter the medical profession. Leave me alone. Why do you feel like I owe you something?

At some point at work I had to disconnect the phone line so I could stop getting nurses/doctors dumb requests to getting free food.

Oh my God they get on my nerves. I had one nurse who was acting like a patient. It took me almost 20 minutes to serve this heffa. She ordered jacket potato with cheese and beans. Paid by card, but it declined. It kept declining. She was like gimme food. I was like yeah once we have received your payment, you'll get your food.

After God knows how long, we got payment. Then she got mad because she didn't have enough beans. So I decided to give a walloping good portion of beans, large enough to fit and overflow from her entire gob.

Then she complained she felt sick. I looked at the state of her. It was disgusting. She looked like a overgrown baby sitting on a baby chair with food mess all around her. I was like I'm so sorry to hear that...so what do you want me to do? If I had nothing to lose, I would have slapped the donkey poo outta her for wasting almost 20 minutes of my time. P_P
But how do you stand on cats and dogs?

Yeah doctors and nurses.

As the husband of a nurse and bearing in mind the lives that have been saved by her and her colleagues, I've got to say, I find your view a little astounding really.

Your view though I guess :)

I work with a guy on and off - don't see him very often. One day he was talking about getting a newspaper and said something about the 'P**i shop'. He then realised that I was within earshot (I was new to the team) and 'corrected' himself by saying 'Oh sorry, we aren't allowed to say that anymore are we?'.

I just thought 'what a prat you are'. I've never engaged with him in quite the same way since hearing that.

As the husband of a nurse and bearing in mind the lives that have been saved by her and her colleagues, I've got to say, I find your view a little astounding really.

Your view though I guess :)

Well I was talking about doctors and nurses I have personally encountered at work to make it clear. Not talking about ALL doctors and nurses. I didn't even know your wife was a nurse, but thanks for sharing. ;/

Get your flame proof suit ready mate ;)

I'm ready. BRING IT. ^_^

I work with a guy on and off - don't see him very often. One day he was talking about getting a newspaper and said something about the 'P**i shop'. He then realised that I was within earshot (I was new to the team) and 'corrected' himself by saying 'Oh sorry, we aren't allowed to say that anymore are we?'.

I just thought 'what a prat you are'. I've never engaged with him in quite the same way since hearing that.

I would do same, and that's not trivial. It is, and always has been racist.

Well I was talking about doctors and nurses I have personally encountered at work to make it clear. Not talking about ALL doctors and nurses. I didn't even know your wife was a nurse, but thanks for sharing. ;/

I'm ready. BRING IT. ^_^

Funnily enough, I've never encountered a slop jockey that has a smile on their face when dishing out food and brings a cheer to my day.

Huh, who'd'a thought that slop jockeys and nurses/ doctors were similar? :rotfl:

In the 80's that phrase was regularly used it was even said by David Jason in Only Fools and Horses. How times have changed for the better

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom