Has something seemingly trivial totally put you off someone or do a complete U turn on your opinion of them?

Xenomorph

About time someone come out and said this.

My sister has been a nurse for the last 40 years and never stops whinging about how "nurses are special" Gimme more, gimme more, gimme more.
Near the top of her profession now she earns from £80k to over £100k per year depending on lecture work etc.

Starting salary for Nurses is in line with that of Teachers, Police Officers, Fire Fighters etc.
The opportunities for progression is good too.

A lot of my family have been involved with the NHS including my wife and mother.
The image portrayed by the media, and nurses themselves, does not reflect reality in 99% of cases.
The image of brow mopping heroes/angels running in and out of emergency rooms and saving lives is not reality except for rare occasions.
Anyone who visits hospitals regularly and sees nurses in their normal environment will see normal folk trudging up and down corridors, processing out patients, or at desks doing paperwork etc.
Perfectly normal people, good, bad and indifferent like those found in any other work place.

Thanks for the salary clarification. Like police though, it's a difficult job, and not something I'd want to do. So I really appreciate the people who do it. I think they should be paid a decent salary. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for that, and also get pay rises in line with inflation.
I tend to think that the NHS is clogged up with middle management, probably a lot of unnecessary roles. Just an impression I have though.
I have no problem whatsoever with paying the people on the front line, dealing with patients in difficult situations. They should be compensated well.

Steve N

Distinguished Member
................I tend to think that the NHS is clogged up with middle management, probably a lot of unnecessary roles. Just an impression I have though.............
That's one thing nearly everyone involved in the NHS will agree with.
Used to drive my wife mad (now retired)
All meetings and rearranging departments ad nauseum. Lots of activity that was more disruptive than useful just to appear like they're doing something.

Thug

Has this thread taken a u-turn and transformed in the ‘mild irritation’ thread rather than the ‘something trivial that has put you off someone’ thread?

Smoking would instantly put me off someone. As would a beautiful woman swearing too much.
Bad manners is another ‘off put’ too.

A lot has put me off ex partners, but I think that’s normal as you usually look for things that they do that you now find annoying.

Let me guess

Has this thread taken a u-turn and transformed in the ‘mild irritation’ thread rather than the ‘something trivial that has put you off someone’ thread?

Smoking would instantly put me off someone. As would a beautiful woman swearing too much.
Bad manners is another ‘off put’ too.

A lot has put me off ex partners, but I think that’s normal as you usually look for things that they do that you now find annoying.
How do you feel about fugly women swearing? 😆

Let me guess

I think ive been single too long and everything a potential partner would do would annoy me :)
Cutlery in the wrong hands is a big no no
Reasons I loved my partner
His carefree attitude to life
The funny way his hair sticks up in the morning.
The way he always wants to know I'm OK
The cute little snuffling noise he makes when sleeping.

The Reasons I divorced my partner
His carefree attitude to life
The funny way his hair sticks up in the morning.
The way he always wants to know I'm OK.
The annoying little snuffling noise he makes when sleeping.

Thug

How do you feel about fugly women swearing? 😆
Imagine a delicious fluffy looking piece of hot chocolate fudge cake. You bite into it and it tastes of coffee. You would be highly disappointed.

Now imagine a flat dry piece of cake with walnuts on top, you bite into that and that too tastes of coffee. You wouldn't at all be shocked or disappointed.

Let me guess

Imagine a delicious fluffy looking piece of hot chocolate fudge cake. You bite into it and it tastes of coffee. You would be highly disappointed.

Now imagine a flat dry piece of cake with walnuts on top, you bite into that and that too tastes of coffee. You wouldn't at all be shocked or disappointed.
Yeah, I get it...just a light hearted comment:)

Ruperts slippers

Distinguished Member
Yup - thieving, lying, whining, rocking up with no materials ordered then declaring they'll be back in a week, but could they have some money?!

Need you on this job start to finish
yes mate
week 1 done
mid way through week 2 - cya in a month mate, got another job on

****s.

My dad was a builder and I've often wondered if he ripped people off. In my experience everyone in the trade is a crook.
I've spent 30 yrs in and out of the construction trade, everybody is ripping each other off. Or going to knock everyone out, gangster nonsense, this is a truism but it's tiring.
I've had to meet at service stations to negotiate debts and pick up monies owed.
Tired of it now.
About time someone come out and said this.

My sister has been a nurse for the last 40 years and never stops whinging about how "nurses are special" Gimme more, gimme more, gimme more.
Near the top of her profession now she earns from £80k to over £100k per year depending on lecture work etc.

Starting salary for Nurses is in line with that of Teachers, Police Officers, Fire Fighters etc.
The opportunities for progression is good too.

A lot of my family have been involved with the NHS including my wife and mother.
The image portrayed by the media, and nurses themselves, does not reflect reality in 99% of cases.
The image of brow mopping heroes/angels running in and out of emergency rooms and saving lives is not reality except for rare occasions.
Anyone who visits hospitals regularly and sees nurses in their normal environment will see normal folk trudging up and down corridors, processing out patients, or at desks doing paperwork etc.
Perfectly normal people, good, bad and indifferent like those found in any other work place.
Both long-term ex-partners worked in the NHS, there's a lot of passive bullying, and some people are clever dicks. Now in construction that's called out, confronted, and dealt with. NHS staff don't do that, it's all underhand sniping, maneuvering, and political.

I will admit the hrs are long and there are some hard-working people making sacrifices for the health of the nation.

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
Maybe this isn't the Thread to mention this campaign then?

There's a petition on Change.org if anyone is interested in signing. I think front line NHS workers deserve more than claps, then disinterest from government.

Actually, that's something I'd find off-putting: someone who makes a grand statement one day (like clapping for carers), then retracts it on another (claiming they're too greedy).

Either have principles and stick to them, or don't bother.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom