Has someone looked around the 9617 service menu?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Zacabeb, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If so, I have a question for you. I brought it up a few weeks ago but without success.

It seems Philips do not include service schematics with the 9617. I have had two stores bring out the (sealed) user manual packs they got with their display sets and there were no schematics in there. That makes it a bit harder to find out what they put inside the 9617, something I am quite curious about.

So, if anyone has been in the service menu on a 9617, could you tell me what they call the feature box in the video repro menu?

Unless they are using proprietary components, I think the 9617 is based on:
    X-VIP for A/D and decoding of input signals
    BESIC422 for general picture processing, horizontal scaling and D/A
    FALCONIC (EAGLE) for motion compensation and vertical scaling
    HOP for adjustments and geometry control

Knowing what they call the feature box may give more clues as to what goodies are actually inside the thing. :)

2. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    jesus the Tv surgeon has entered the building:)

3. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I just checked and the feature box type is EAGLE not FALCONIC. So Zacabeb... tell us all the secrets inside the TV then! :D

4. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for the response. It brings up another of my theories :)

The original Natural Motion processor that was released in 1995 was named MELZONIC. This is an abbreviation for Motion estimation and compensation, line flicker reduction, zoom and noise reduction IC.

The next generation, Digital Natural Motion, was based on a new processor named FALCONIC. This means Field and line rate converter with noise reduction IC. This original FALCONIC had the type number SAA4992.

The original FALCONIC has since been discontinued and replaced by two other FALCONIC's; SAA4993 and SAA4994. The less advanced of them, SAA4994, is nicknamed Raven. That makes me think it is simply the more advanced FALCONIC, SAA4993, that is named Eagle.

There must be other parts as well, for general picture processing and it cannot be the old PICNIC. I will try getting hold of a service manual for the set and find out more.