Has political correctness gone mad - by Trevor Phillips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faust

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Don't know if any of you watched this programme tonight but it's a great one to debate. I'm sure for those who did watch it, many of you like me would have been gnashing their teeth and wringing their hands.

There was a group of students discussing the merits of what was or was not acceptable. I had to slap my own face simply to make sure I wasn't in some nightmarish dream. You simply have to see and listen to them in order to get the flavour of what their views were.

I thought Trevor Phillips was rather good and provided some thought provoking questions. There was also a short interview with Nigel Farage and although I'm not a fan of the man I did think a lot of what he said made sense.

Will have to watch it. Looks like British TV finally getting into the free speech debate that true liberals have been engaged in for a while against the "regressive left" with their safe spaces and trigger warnings leading to the rise of the far right and alt-right twits.

Will have to watch it. Looks like British TV finally getting into the free speech debate that true liberals have been engaged in for a while against the "regressive left" with their safe spaces and trigger warnings leading to the rise of the far right and alt-right twits.

Oh gawd! yes we had all that tripe. There was even one student that was against fancy dress just on the off chance this managed to offend just about anyone in general.

Tip! have a relaxing tipple and do some breathing exercises before you begin to watch. :(

Having given it more thought, I think it's a programme that should be included as part of the national curriculum.

Last edited:
Oh boy, just watched it. Those fudgeing students. Though had to the laugh at the hypocrisy of Farage at the end with his usual playing the man not the ball accusation against the liberal elite when he plays the man all the time.

Oh boy, just watched it. Those fudgeing students. Though had to the laugh at the hypocrisy of Farage at the end with his usual playing the man not the ball accusation against the liberal elite when he plays the man all the time.

Students today hey! - this has really gone to far. In my day we had CND etc. but this lot featured in the programme - yikes. If they are our tomorrow then there's little hope for us.

I said it was an 'interesting watch'. I do think Farage was on the money with some of what he had to say though, as was Trevor Phillips.

Given the subject matter I really am surprised this topic hasn't generated more interest on the forum. It is also very current, especially given the brexit vote.

I found what Trevor Phillips had to say to be a breath of fresh air.

This is a debate everyone should be having. Perhaps the reason for there not being many replies is because as reported on the programme everyone is running scared and terrified of being vilified for their views?

^^^ probably because we've had a few threads on free speech issues already ... do a search on safe spaces, trigger warnings, social justice warriors (SJW) and virtue signalling and you'll probably find some of them :)

^^^ probably because we've had a few threads on free speech issues already ... do a search on safe spaces, trigger warnings, social justice warriors (SJW) and virtue signalling and you'll probably find some of them :)

From memory though I don't think I have ever seen such a programme aired on national TV. TBH the more I listened the more surprised I became that that the liberal left allowed it to happen.

I don't see them as 'liberal', more the result of a misguided coddled generation keeping up appearances with style over substance.

They are to the average 'Liberal'* what Evangelical Christians, Creationists(especially the young Earth variety) et al are to the average 'Conservative'*.

*average liberal and conservatives being by my definition at least from a UK centric perspective the centre-left and centre-right moderates.

Given the subject matter I really am surprised this topic hasn't generated more interest on the forum. It is also very current, especially given the brexit vote.

I found what Trevor Phillips had to say to be a breath of fresh air.

This is a debate everyone should be having. Perhaps the reason for there not being many replies is because as reported on the programme everyone is running scared and terrified of being vilified for their views?
I was going to post on this but was' out of the office'.

It is becoming so difficult these days to discuss anything that does not tie in with 'current politically correct thinking'. Especially at universities, there is no room for debate. If you take a view that contradicts the thinking of the minute, you are labelled as a right wing fascist. All discussion is closed down. Our students are no longer open to ideas- and they should be. Life at university should be about considering ideas from all side. Then debate, listen to ideas and discuss the merits of either case. This is simply not happening.

Same in politics at the moment. We are told what is right and what is wrong thinking.

Trevor Phillips:-

How has this come about?

Forty years ago, ‘identity’ politics was about trying to end discrimination. It led to revolutionary legislation on gender, disability and race.

But recently the recognition of diversity has grown into a cancerous cultural tyranny that blocks open debate.

In higher education, it has spread like wildfire.

Efforts to keep real racists off university platforms have been perverted so bans are imposed on, for example, speakers with unfashionable views on transsexuals.

Harmless academics are falling prey, too. Sensible people are appalled at the way Nobel Laureate Sir Tim Hunt was hounded out of his post at University College London for a weak joke about women crying in laboratories.

Hardly a day goes by on campuses without a demand for a statue to be removed or for ‘safe spaces’ where sensitive students can be sheltered from robust views in a cultural debate or sexual violence in a classic literary text.

Political correctness had gone mad, writes TREVOR PHILLIPS | Daily Mail Online

I note the quote from an article in The Guardian regarding the programme

Ken Livingstone suggested that Phillips had swung so far to the right that he would soon be joining the BNP.

The above is typical of what happens to anyone if they try to debate these subjects.

Then there's this quote again The Guardian - He is regarded as a curious Uncle Tom figure by a lot of the black and ethnic minority establishment.

But his complaints were not just about actions, I suggest. Was he not also concerned that the Labour party had played down antisemitic attitudes by some of its members? “Yes,” he agrees. “There are people who believe there is no real distinction between Jews, Zionists and Israelis. And the party doesn’t want to get into that at all because, let’s be frank, it’s increasingly dependent on a demographic group – Muslims – within which a sizeable minority subscribes to that view.”

If someone like Trevor Phillips (former chair of the Runnymede Trust) can't air this type of debate then there's little hope for the rest of us. There appears to be a total disconnect between the left wing censorists and the reason so many parts of the western world are turning back to nationalism.

I note the quote from an article in The Guardian regarding the programme

Ken Livingstone suggested that Phillips had swung so far to the right that he would soon be joining the BNP.

The above is typical of what happens to anyone if they try to debate these subjects.

Interesting that Ken's comment is not considered a weak joke about politics but Sir Tim Hunt's comment about professional, intelligent women crying in labs is considered a weak joke about women.

Why not?

Interesting that Ken's comment is not considered a weak joke about politics but Sir Tim Hunt's comment about professional, intelligent women crying in labs is considered a weak joke about women.

Why not?
Obvious innit.
If its a joke about someone being too far to the right- then you get a free pass to say anything insulting, like he will soon be joining the BNP etc etc.

If its a weak joke at the expense of the left- Wow! How dare you- its the sack for you.

Why not?
Well given Sir Tim Hunt was asked to pack his bags and leave the university with immediate effect then I assume Jezza will be asking Ken Livingstone to pack his bags and leave the Labour Party, or is that just me being ridiculous? :rolleyes:

Obvious innit.
If its a joke about someone being too far to the right- then you get a free pass to say anything insulting, like he will soon be joining the BNP etc etc.

If its a weak joke at the expense of the left- Wow! How dare you- its the sack for you.

So one is insulting and the other isn't, in your eyes?

And making jokes at the expense of women is a left-wing/right-wing issue, in your eyes?

To my mind, Tim Hunt's joke was poor and Ken Livingstone's joke was poor. Neither should result in them being fired. Ridicule both, ignore both or praise both, whatever suits you. But judging them in different ways because one is "of the left and the other of the right" is daft.

Well given Sir Tim Hunt was asked to pack his bags and leave the university with immediate effect then I assume Jezza will be asking Ken Livingstone to pack his bags and leave the Labour Party, or is that just me being ridiculous? :rolleyes:

You being ridiculous. Unless two wrongs make a right in your world :)

I saw this, and all I saw was a bunch of self righteous idiots, running student unions and therefore apparently University policy banning anything fun, you may not dress like Pochantis incase it discriminates Asian women? A cartoon character....
Oh and how they used social media to try and ruin the careers of well respected people because they told a joke, or gave a different view on transgenders..

Yeah it certainly summed up the sad state of the country.

Last edited by a moderator:
You being ridiculous. Unless two wrongs make a right in your world :)

I was being sarcastic - of course I knew Jezza wouldn't fire Ken as what he said accords with Jezza's narrative. The point being made was if you don't agree with a policy then you are ostracised or worse. That's simply the tactics of a bully and used increasingly to close down debate.

Heard John McDonnell interviewed on the radio. The problem is the Labour need to get their message across apparently. Don't think they have figured out that it's not that peopls haven't got their message, their problem is that they have.

So one is insulting and the other isn't, in your eyes?

And making jokes at the expense of women is a left-wing/right-wing issue, in your eyes?

To my mind, Tim Hunt's joke was poor and Ken Livingstone's joke was poor. Neither should result in them being fired. Ridicule both, ignore both or praise both, whatever suits you. But judging them in different ways because one is "of the left and the other of the right" is daft.

Nabby... Are you asleep? #

In my opinion they should be treated equally as poor taste, but that is not the way these days.
Let me explain just in case. If you make a joke referring to a right wing comment... e.g. Ken can glibly say Trevor Phillips, a black man will join the BNP next , that is considered OK by our liberals. :eek:

(not by me I hasten to add - its appalling!).

But Tim Hunts joke about women crying in lavatories -which is also in bad taste- the man gets the sack!

Where is the justice?
Clear?

Where is the justice?
Clear?

The justice would have been in Tim Hunt NOT being hounded out.
NOT
Tim Hunt was hounded out so let's find someone and hound them out to balance some imaginary 'game'.

It's like "I got a smacked bum for pulling Jessica's hair, so Philip should get a smacked bum for pushing Timothy" !

Nabby... Are you asleep? #

In my opinion they should be treated equally as poor taste, but that is not the way these days.
Let me explain just in case. If you make a joke referring to a right wing comment... e.g. Ken can glibly say Trevor Phillips, a black man will join the BNP next , that is considered OK by our liberals. :eek:

(not by me I hasten to add - its appalling!).

But Tim Hunts joke about women crying in lavatories -which is also in bad taste- the man gets the sack!

Where is the justice?
Clear?

I wish I was asleep at 8:39am :)

What justice are you after?
They're not working in the same industry doing similar jobs for similar employers.
Is Tim Hunt's comment glib in your eyes too? Or just Ken's?
Where's the justice in Kelvin Mackenzie still working for The Sun, almost 30 years on from Hillsborough?

The justice would have been in Tim Hunt NOT being hounded out.
NOT
Tim Hunt was hounded out so let's find someone and hound them out to balance some imaginary 'game'.

It's like "I got a smacked bum for pulling Jessica's hair, so Philip should get a smacked bum for pushing Timothy" !

Actually the justice would be to simply get on with our lives and stop looking for reasons to be offended. The students featured in the programme had missed the point completely regarding their total intolerance of anyone they deemed not to be diverse or protective enough of minorities - some of which are clearly imagined and not real.

Sombreros - really?

Actually the justice would be to simply get on with our lives and stop looking for reasons to be offended. The students featured in the programme had missed the point completely regarding their total intolerance of anyone they deemed not to be diverse or protective enough of minorities - some of which are clearly imagined and not real.

Sombreros - really?

It's a good job they weren't around for my student days. The rugby team were not very, ahem, 'PC' at all. In fact after our rugby trip to the Rheims I'm surprised that:

1) The UK was allowed to remain a part of the EU.
2) The the Calais Ferry didn't issue an outright ban on rugby teams dressed as pirates.
3) I'm still allowed to have a passport.

Still, at least I know why champagne is so expensive. I still wonder who ended up with that French payphone.

Still - no-one died - or at least there's no proof or evidence that would stand up.

Great days... sigh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom