Has Panny DMR-E95 now replaced the E100?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jesmat2003, Mar 8, 2004.

1. jesmat2003

jesmat2003
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, this is my first post. I've done a search but can't find any info on the forum concerning the Panasonic DMR-E95. This has a 160GB HDD and according to AV Land will be released July for £750. I also notice that AV Land is no longer selling the E100 (or is it just out of stock?).

I was seriously tempted to buy the E100 after Richer Sounds dropped the price, but the prices quoted for the E85 (£550) and E95 (£750) have persuaded me to wait until these new models are released. Does anyone have any more information about the E95?

2. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Have a look at www.recorders4u.com
    Not all machines mentioned will probably make it to UK.

AVLAND usually have most up to date information.
    I'm waiting for the E95, conversely I'd prefer a freeview tuner as well etc etc. See earlier threads on this subject for more info.

Steve

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    AvLand are now listing the release date as July - I wonder if that is because the date has been brought forward over fears of the Sony RX10? To me the latter looks better specified with a (potentially) larger HDD, freeview tuner and associated EPG. The only (crucial) thing it's missing is the Flexible Record option. It's going to make a decision over which HDD/DVDR combo to buy this Winter be 'difficult'.

4. jesmat2003

jesmat2003
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If the machine doesn't feature a Flexible Record option then my decision will be very easy. I simply wouldn't consider it. I wouldn't be surprised if there was also a substantial price difference between the RX10 and E-95.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Fair enough - Flexible Record is an excellent feature and I'm not 100% sure how any HDD/DVDR combo can be credible without it. But the 2pass re-encoding should result in excellent quality. It's a question of sit back and wait I suppose :(

Indeed. The prices I have heard suggested re the RX10 is in the region of £1000. That is expensive in comparison - but then Sony always is.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    One of the core potential failings of the E95, IMHO, relates to the lack of an EPG. An EPG is essential in taking the HDD/DVDR combos beyond being DVD editting machines such as the HS2 to becoming proper PVRs. Why Panasonic don't act upo this is mystifying; in the US Panasonic have the GEM Star Guideplus installed on there better systems: the E60/E100 equivalents. However they have decided not to add this to the UK spec as the system is not reliable enough/guaranteed to survive the freeview EPG. An understandable position given the problems some DVDR80 users have had but instead of taking the next best step and adding a Freeview tuner which would bring the benefit of that systems EPG they do nothing. Not even an Ethernet port/ability to add a WiFi card to the E95 to enable a PC based TV Guide to control the machine. A major oversight IMHO.

I don't doubt that Panasonic's 2004 range is going to fair well. The Panasonic E55 looks by far the best specified budget DVD recorder given the competition from Pioneer, Toshiba and JVC remains at least £50 more expensive. Likewise the pricing of the E85 is likely to ensure sales of HDD/DVDR combos rise. Many people are holding out for a VHS/DVDR combo and, although there will be competition from JVC, the E75 will doubtless sell well due to the RGB issue.

And certainly Panasonic's 2005 is going to be revolutionary - you only have to look in a PC magazine to see the previews of the 'AVC Server' that will be Panasonic's top end HDD/DVDR combo next year: a massive HDD coupled with the ability to stream upto four different HQ video/music streams to anywhere in the house through the power lines is going to be fantastic. But this is 2004 and Panasonic seemed to have over-looked what defines a top end model, i.e. a Freeview Tuner and EPG.

7. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    In the US, the market is huge, and guideplus is a reliable, good enough solution for many people.

In the UK, any analogue EPG is flawed IMO, with most people buying a HDD/DVD combo having digital TV to input into it. (>50% digital penetration, assume most HDD/DVD buyers falling into this category)

So do they spend a lot of money on a Freeview integration, with (at the mo) dodgy EPG, and only relevant for the UK? Or maybe a Sky version? What about those people with external boxes?

IMO, the Tivo method (externally sourced EPG) is the best option. That could be via ethernet for free.