Has our technology killed religion ?

raduv1

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Oh no not another faith thread :eek: Who's wrong who's right believer or not !

No I hope not but as the title says as we've moved on tech wise radio,Cinema,TV,Internet. Has religion taken a back seat in people's lives do we now worship X Factor, the blockbuster, sports hero, team,Popstar?

The church, Temple ect was a place of gathering to worship in times gone by is that power over us lost in these times ? Are we better off with a voice not controlled by our religious beliefs? Or do we have to step back and look at what's really important. Are we moving so fast that now nothing we see or hear holds our attention for more than a day? Have we become a society that only looks for the next big thing then just as quickly forgets it ? And can religion keep up with that trend or do you believe that it doesn't have to?

Technology has just given us the answers to questions that religion couldn't . Religion is obsolete and contributes nothing more to the process of civilisation. It has been superseded by science and technology..... And face it, which is more cool..!?

facebook_1194796902.jpg

Franklin!

Cool. Go Ben.

Edit: I think there's a point at the heart of your question which is, what is religion?

I don't think it's necessarily to do with church and god etc.

Not sure how to express my point, so here's something I heard about religion in India. I don't remember where from.

"There are two religions in India, Bollywood and cricket. And the supreme being is Sachin Tendulkar"

Last edited:
There are still billions of people on Earth who have a faith in something, so to say religion is dead is going a bit far.

The media has replaced religion as the opium of the people (to steal from Karl Marx)?
It's a thought.

RMCF said:
There are still billions of people on Earth who have a faith in something, so to say religion is dead is going a bit far.

The same billions of people demanding mobile phones and cars.

If God wanted us to travel faster than walking speed we would surely have been born with wheels! It's all the work of the Devil imo. :D

:D

Ah, but can you climb trees with wheels?

... And what would you do with your collection of stockings????? :)

(Cor, look at the wheels on that - all the way up to her armpits!)

It's funny, Religion doesn't even get a glancing thought in my tiny little brain until I hear or read something about it.

I just don't get it or see any point to it, tech & science on the other hand take up most of my life:smashin:

So are tech and science become our religion as in knowledge ?

raduv1 said:
So are tech and science become our religion as in knowledge ?

Religion used to be our way if life , it punctuated our day with prayers, our week with visits to church and our year with a myriad different festivals and saints days. A more accurate phraseology would be -

Science and tech has displaced religion as our way of life.

Religion used to be our way if life , it punctuated our day with prayers, our week with visits to church and our year with a myriad different festivals and saints days. A more accurate phraseology would be -

Science and tech has displaced religion as our way of life.

There have been more humans on this planet that have never known of the existence of a church yet alone been to one. Religion has been a very small part of humanity's life. I see religion as a belief that goes against the logic of current understanding of existence. So for many thousands of years past humans were not religious they were early scientists, having ideas of things and discovering patterns for things that worked in life and in society with no better option available to them. If new ideas came along they might be adapted and included. Religion as we know it which has formed over the minority of our past, hundreds of years has been about trying to keep the same ideas and refusing more logical answers.

Religion has I think a short life so far, it still is quite popular to some as it is connected to a notion of the self. I think in the future it will turn into something one just likes the idea of rather than believes in. For example I think liking the idea and love of the Star Wars saga will be more popular than the Bible therefore Christianity, for one thing it's a far more interesting story to pass on through the generations. It will mean people in the future will be maybe convinced Star Wars is/was real and be a religion. And it has a handy phrase "long ago in a galaxy far far away". How do you disprove that (you would only get asked to by a star wars fan). And it has the friendly "may the force be with you" social exchange. But there will lots of other "stories" along with that.

Stories not related to actual events will continue to be a strong part of human nature. Until we evolve a bit more biologically or hybridise with other technologies, perhaps socially interconnected ones where the notion of the self becomes a dead end concept of successful existence. A hive like human future wont get much from stories of self human worth or values or emotions. As they maybe too slow or inefficient conveyors of action and processing compared to direct commands and exchanges of information between us. There is only one direction humanity can lead to and that is to be more spread out and successful and powerful. Or eventually die out.

Keeping that in mind it's inevitable we will turn into a highly technical form that is very good at spreading, replicating and having high level knowledge. That might mean we turn ourselves into nano-scale beings, tiny "lifeforms" of huge ability. But also due to our physical properties can spread more efficiently through space time. At this point I doubt we would be arguing over who killed who or how to interpret the hallucinogenic mutterings of Jesus or some prophet you cant draw pictures of, even it's in laser quantum flash holo-pixels.

Having said that I can still imagine a big division of reasons for progressing, half of beings may be inspired and successful in developing technology because they want to find god which they are certain exists, so they must explore the entire universe and beyond looking for him. Which would lead to a real galactic Star Wars probably.

Last edited:
Your first sentence is a little baffling. Most people on the planet have a religion. Almost everyone a century ago adhered to a religion. It is only over the last half century and in the west that any form of non religious belief has become acceptable..!

Your first sentence is a little baffling. Most people on the planet have a religion. Almost everyone a century ago adhered to a religion. It is only over the last half century and in the west that any form of non religious belief has become acceptable..!

I think he means from the beginning of human life

More to the point has technology killed evolution?

To a degree yes.
Evoluition continues but now it seems to push towards being able to get a date online in order to breed.

Courtjezter said:

Technology is evolution, it moves much faster than natural selection and is simply humanities way of of adapting its environment to better its lot. We have done this since making clothes out of animal skins and making fires to keep warm. Technology is what separates us from the animals because technology is a human evolutionary tactic that works, and is still working better and quicker than ever.

drivinscool said:
I think he means from the beginning of human life

Humanity had always had religion...!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom