Has our technology killed religion ?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by raduv1, Aug 25, 2012.

1. raduv1

raduv1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,490
    Oh no not another faith thread :eek: Who's wrong who's right believer or not !

No I hope not but as the title says as we've moved on tech wise radio,Cinema,TV,Internet. Has religion taken a back seat in people's lives do we now worship X Factor, the blockbuster, sports hero, team,Popstar?

The church, Temple ect was a place of gathering to worship in times gone by is that power over us lost in these times ? Are we better off with a voice not controlled by our religious beliefs? Or do we have to step back and look at what's really important. Are we moving so fast that now nothing we see or hear holds our attention for more than a day? Have we become a society that only looks for the next big thing then just as quickly forgets it ? And can religion keep up with that trend or do you believe that it doesn't have to?

2. BISHI

BISHI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    Technology has just given us the answers to questions that religion couldn't . Religion is obsolete and contributes nothing more to the process of civilisation. It has been superseded by science and technology..... And face it, which is more cool..!?

3. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23,040
    [​IMG]

4. simon ess

simon ess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +596
    Franklin!

Cool. Go Ben.

Edit: I think there's a point at the heart of your question which is, what is religion?

I don't think it's necessarily to do with church and god etc.

Not sure how to express my point, so here's something I heard about religion in India. I don't remember where from.

"There are two religions in India, Bollywood and cricket. And the supreme being is Sachin Tendulkar"

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  5. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +784
    There are still billions of people on Earth who have a faith in something, so to say religion is dead is going a bit far.

6. EarthRod

EarthRod
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,674
    Whoever invented the wheel has a lot to answer for...

:D

7. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,780
    The media has replaced religion as the opium of the people (to steal from Karl Marx)?
    It's a thought.

8. Bill Hicks

Bill Hicks
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,590
    If God wanted us to travel faster than walking speed we would surely have been born with wheels! It's all the work of the Devil imo. :D

9. BISHI

BISHI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    The same billions of people demanding mobile phones and cars.

10. EarthRod

EarthRod
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,674
    :D

Ah, but can you climb trees with wheels?

... And what would you do with your collection of stockings????? :)

(Cor, look at the wheels on that - all the way up to her armpits!)

11. Rich Marshall

Rich Marshall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +585
    It's funny, Religion doesn't even get a glancing thought in my tiny little brain until I hear or read something about it.

I just don't get it or see any point to it, tech & science on the other hand take up most of my life:smashin:

12. raduv1

raduv1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,490
    So are tech and science become our religion as in knowledge ?

13. Iccz

Iccz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,750
    No, because science is so different to religion. It can replace it for people, but it does not become a religion.

14. Rich Marshall

Rich Marshall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +585
    Religion wasn't invented to pass on knowledge, actually quite the contrary.

15. pandemic

pandemic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    Science and Religion are mutually exclusive. Let's keep it that way...

16. BISHI

BISHI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    Religion used to be our way if life , it punctuated our day with prayers, our week with visits to church and our year with a myriad different festivals and saints days. A more accurate phraseology would be -

Science and tech has displaced religion as our way of life.

17. beachland

beachland
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    There have been more humans on this planet that have never known of the existence of a church yet alone been to one. Religion has been a very small part of humanity's life. I see religion as a belief that goes against the logic of current understanding of existence. So for many thousands of years past humans were not religious they were early scientists, having ideas of things and discovering patterns for things that worked in life and in society with no better option available to them. If new ideas came along they might be adapted and included. Religion as we know it which has formed over the minority of our past, hundreds of years has been about trying to keep the same ideas and refusing more logical answers.

Religion has I think a short life so far, it still is quite popular to some as it is connected to a notion of the self. I think in the future it will turn into something one just likes the idea of rather than believes in. For example I think liking the idea and love of the Star Wars saga will be more popular than the Bible therefore Christianity, for one thing it's a far more interesting story to pass on through the generations. It will mean people in the future will be maybe convinced Star Wars is/was real and be a religion. And it has a handy phrase "long ago in a galaxy far far away". How do you disprove that (you would only get asked to by a star wars fan). And it has the friendly "may the force be with you" social exchange. But there will lots of other "stories" along with that.

Stories not related to actual events will continue to be a strong part of human nature. Until we evolve a bit more biologically or hybridise with other technologies, perhaps socially interconnected ones where the notion of the self becomes a dead end concept of successful existence. A hive like human future wont get much from stories of self human worth or values or emotions. As they maybe too slow or inefficient conveyors of action and processing compared to direct commands and exchanges of information between us. There is only one direction humanity can lead to and that is to be more spread out and successful and powerful. Or eventually die out.

Keeping that in mind it's inevitable we will turn into a highly technical form that is very good at spreading, replicating and having high level knowledge. That might mean we turn ourselves into nano-scale beings, tiny "lifeforms" of huge ability. But also due to our physical properties can spread more efficiently through space time. At this point I doubt we would be arguing over who killed who or how to interpret the hallucinogenic mutterings of Jesus or some prophet you cant draw pictures of, even it's in laser quantum flash holo-pixels.

Having said that I can still imagine a big division of reasons for progressing, half of beings may be inspired and successful in developing technology because they want to find god which they are certain exists, so they must explore the entire universe and beyond looking for him. Which would lead to a real galactic Star Wars probably.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  18. BISHI

BISHI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    Your first sentence is a little baffling. Most people on the planet have a religion. Almost everyone a century ago adhered to a religion. It is only over the last half century and in the west that any form of non religious belief has become acceptable..!

19. rampant

rampant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +904
    Religion is a tool for governments to control the masses

20. Rich Marshall

Rich Marshall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +585
    I think he means from the beginning of human life

21. Courtjezter

Courtjezter
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,538
    More to the point has technology killed evolution?

22. Rich Marshall

Rich Marshall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +585
    I dunno but Video killed the Radio Star.

23. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,780
    To a degree yes.
    Evoluition continues but now it seems to push towards being able to get a date online in order to breed.

24. BISHI

BISHI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    Technology is evolution, it moves much faster than natural selection and is simply humanities way of of adapting its environment to better its lot. We have done this since making clothes out of animal skins and making fires to keep warm. Technology is what separates us from the animals because technology is a human evolutionary tactic that works, and is still working better and quicker than ever.

25. BISHI

BISHI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    Humanity had always had religion...!

26. imightbewrong

imightbewrong
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34,163
    The sentance you were referring to was:

There have been around 100 billion 'humans' - pretty sure that sentance holds.

27. beachland

beachland
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I separated those who had a belief or idea into how/why things function compared to those who refuse to accept more logical/evidential ways explained to them. It might be unfair to tarnish the former as religious. But I suppose we don't know. I also separate religion between those who live their life hoping there is a god and behaving in a way that they think he would appreciate, and those who are convinced and think others that do not believe are lacking.

28. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    Russell Brand touches on this in his new stand-up/debate show Brand X by stating that we are still practicing religion in a way but with different idols than buddha, christ etc, we are now worshipping the latest musicians/film stars/sports stars instead as religion is something people use to inspire them and now people feel inspired by cultural icons rather than religious ones.

29. BISHI

BISHI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    Religion had been at the core of human society since we were cavemen. By using the word church to distinguish Christians is to deny all other irrational religious practice that have ever existed - be that Aztec priests cutting out hearts, sacrificing chickens at the temple of Apollo or praying 5 times a day with your nose pointing to Mecca . The enlightenment and revolutions in industry and politics led to our modern scientific and technological age. I would suggest that a billion Muslims, a billion + Catholics and an Indian sub continent of Hindus and Sikhs would suggest religion trumps rationality across much of the globe.

30. kav

kav
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,816
    If you're asking in the metaphorical sense, as in, has technology replaced traditional religion, and in doing so become a religion itself, then no. Aside from some Apple or Sony fans, most people don't go as far as worshipping their gadgets or believing that they will provide them with some form of afterlife. ;)

However in its literal sense then I think your question could be answered yes - technology (specifically the rapid dissemination of information it allows) is slowly killing religion. Never in human history has it been easier for us to share information and ideas, and most importantly to make our minds up for ourselves based on available evidence, instead of believing what we have been told based only on hearsay. The fact that technology has advanced so far as to give almost every human being on the planet access to an encyclopedia of knowledge the likes of which our ancestors could only have dreamed about means that the foothold that religions traditionally held in society becomes less and less relevant, as people become more and more aware of the alternatives to it.

The question then becomes, what fills the void left by religion? This presupposes that a lack of religion does lead to some sort of void in a person's life, which most atheists will no doubt tell you is not true. However I think the point behind the question is that there will be those who rightly argue that religion can also be a force for good, so why throw the baby out with the bathwater? There's a suspicion that cold, clinical rationality, bereft of the qualities which make us human but which underpins technology and scientific pursuit, will completely usurp the warmth, kindness and generosity of spirit of your traditional religious believer, and for us to lose that means a moral decline for humanity. However, given that it has been proven repeatedly that morality does not stem from religion, this to me seems a red herring. Morality would not decline, its foundations would simply be less shrouded in superstition. Human beings would still be guided by emotions like generosity and compassion, as well as logic and reason. People's motives would be more transparent, given that their actions would not be in the name of a higher power, but only for the good (or ill) of their fellow human beings, without the unnecessary complication of attempting to interpret the unknown wishes of an unknowable god.

IMO. :)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012