Question Has new firmware 05.30.02 (LG) caused juddering (Sky)?

BonesD69

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Newbie here (from UK) as I recently bought a OLED65C6V.

I've had no problems with the TV until the firmware was updated.

Since the update (05.30.02), the picture started to judder for Sky TV (Sky+ HD).

I followed all the steps to check/fix the Sky Box and also called Sky. The issue could not be resolved. I then replaced the Sky Box with my spare multi-screen Sky Box. Both boxes have exactly the same juddering issue. So, not an issue with Sky.

I don't have any other picture issues from other sources.

Logical conclusion is that the firmware has introduced a glitch as far as it interacts with Sky Boxes.

Has anyone else noticed this juddering issue. I also reset the TV to no avail.

I've emailed LG, and will call them on Monday.

Cheers.

Hi,

Since the update (05.30.02), the picture started to judder for Sky TV (Sky+ HD).

I followed all the steps to check/fix the Sky Box and also called Sky. The issue could not be resolved. I then replaced the Sky Box with my spare multi-screen Sky Box. Both boxes have exactly the same juddering issue. So, not an issue with Sky.

Logical conclusion is that the firmware has introduced a glitch as far as it interacts with Sky Boxes.

Cheers.
Did you update it manually or OTA ?

It was updated through an automatic update. Could I revert back to the previous firmware?

1080i sources are definitely broken for me. The picture stutters every 2-3 seconds. I've had to switch my sky box to 720p at the moment to make it watchable.

Long shot, but does turning Real Cinema on or off make any difference?

Changed my Sky Box to output 720p - this resolved the juddering problem. But I want to watch Game of Thrones in at least FHD!

Changes to picture settings (Real Cinema, Tru Motion) make no difference.

I don't have a problem with other sources. Watched Netflix (UHD Dolby Vision) last night with zero problems. Watched a FHD movie via my NAS drive - no problem.

An easy way of checking if you've got the problem is to put BBC News on and watch the text at the bottom of the screen. It will judder every two seconds or so. However, I put my Samsung Blu Ray player on and watched BBC News HD on that (Freeview) and have no problems whatsoever. No issues with Freeview or Freesat via the TV either.

It's just Sky!

It'll be anything which outputs an interlaced signal. You'll be fine in the new sky q boxes for example as they can output at 1080p rather than 1080i

I've noticed the slight judder on the scrolling text on BBC and Sky but the picture itself doesn't appear to judder.

You'll only really notice it on faster moving TV. E.g. Sport, Dramas. It's distracting and annoying.

The other way you can see it is by watching the BBC weather when the picture pans up and down the British Isles.

So I guess it's confirmed that LG's latest firmware has introduced a bug. Sky was fine before the update.

Sky HD at 1080i has issues going right back to the .65 firmware which I am still on, before upgrading to Sky Q I always had my old HD box set to 720p

I think it's important to distinguish this issue by the kind of judder people talk about which can be improved by tru motion. What I'm seeing here is consistent, regular micro pauses every 2-3 seconds. It did not happen with previous firmwares. I watched loads of football at the end of last season and it was fine. And this effect is so obvious, it's not the kind of thing you can fail to notice.

I'll try and capture it on video and upload it.

Changed my Sky Box to output 720p - this resolved the juddering problem. But I want to watch Game of Thrones in at least FHD!

Changes to picture settings (Real Cinema, Tru Motion) make no difference.

I don't have a problem with other sources. Watched Netflix (UHD Dolby Vision) last night with zero problems. Watched a FHD movie via my NAS drive - no problem.

An easy way of checking if you've got the problem is to put BBC News on and watch the text at the bottom of the screen. It will judder every two seconds or so. However, I put my Samsung Blu Ray player on and watched BBC News HD on that (Freeview) and have no problems whatsoever. No issues with Freeview or Freesat via the TV either.

It's just Sky!
1080i isn't full HD, I have my virgin set to 720p instead of 1080i as a progressive image is better than an interlaced one

Actually very hard to capture with my phones video camera. I've used slow motion on the BBC ticker to show what's happening.

This mini freeze happens to the whole picture every 2-3 seconds.

1080i isn't full HD, I have my virgin set to 720p instead of 1080i as a progressive image is better than an interlaced one

The tv should convert a 1080i image to a 1080p one without any loss of resolution. With 720p it's surely losing some detail?

The tv should convert a 1080i image to a 1080p one without any loss of resolution. With 720p it's surely losing some detail?
The tv can't convert a 1080i image into a 1080p one, it just displays what it's fed, the sky q box converts 1080i images and sends a 1080p image to the tv, with 720p you get 720 lines per frame, on 1080i you only get half of that so 540 lines per frame
720p or 1080i - Google Search

Last edited:
Hi,

Cheers.

Did you contact LG regarding this?

The tv can't convert a 1080i image into a 1080p one, it just displays what it's fed, the sky q box converts 1080i images and sends a 1080p image to the tv, with 720p you get 720 lines per frame, on 1080i you only get half of that so 540 lines per frame
The tv can only display progressive images at 4k because that's the screens native resolution. It's all to do with what conversion is done to get the image there. Setting the sky box to 1080p causes the sky box to do the conversion to 1080p and the TV will then upscale to 4k. Setting the sky box to 1080i leaves all of the conversion to the tv. Also a 1080i image at 25 or 30fps should be easily converted without any lost detail making it indistinguishable from a 1080p source. Different story if you're looking at 60fps sources.

The tv can only display progressive images at 4k because that's the screens native resolution. It's all to do with what conversion is done to get the image there. A 1080i image at 25 or 30fps should be easily converted without any lost detail making it indistinguishable from a 1080p source. Different story if you're looking at 60fps sources.
Yes of course the display upscales it to its native resolution of the screen, but it's still a interlaced image, so you are getting half the lines per frame, so 1080i gets 540 lines per frame, 720p being progressive gets 720lines per frame, 720 is better than 540 yes, 720p looks better than 1080i

Yes of course the display upscales it to its native resolution of the screen, but it's still a interlaced image, so you are getting half the lines per frame, so 1080i gets 540 lines per frame, 720p being progressive gets 720lines per frame, 720 is better than 540 yes, 720p looks better than 1080i

I respectfully disagree. Haha

British broadcast tv is 25fps and displayed at 50hz with each frame doubled. So the interlace signal carries half of each doubled frame. These are then be combined by the TV with no loss of detail
We will have to agree to disagree, regardless of what its broadcast in an interlaced image only displays half the lines per frame

The TV will deinterlace frames to create 1080p for 25hz material. With 50hz material (sports etc), the TV should try and retain as much detail as possible rather than just doubling a 540p image. If you set your sky box to 720p you're losing detail.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom